Sign in to follow this  
liamium

Glastonbury Mental Health

Incidentally did anyone else make it to the Ruby Wax session?  was kicking myself a bit while I was there as I really wanted to see the Dropkick Murphys, but it definitely put my brain in a great place for the final evening of the festival!

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Incidentally did anyone else make it to the Ruby Wax session?  was kicking myself a bit while I was there as I really wanted to see the Dropkick Murphys, but it definitely put my brain in a great place for the final evening of the festival!

Yeah she was great, I love the Speakers Forum, always learn something interesting, we were pretty ruined by Sunday and spent most of the day in there laying on the mat at the back, was even too tired to stand up to see ME but it was nice to hear his voice. 

Charm x

3 minutes ago, Charm said:

Yeah she was great, I love the Speakers Forum, always learn something interesting, we were pretty ruined by Sunday and spent most of the day in there laying on the mat at the back, was even too tired to stand up to see ME but it was nice to hear his voice. 

Charm x

Was my first visit!  Made a conscious decision this year to try and do more than just music :)

I found myself at The Killers rather than Ruby.  It could have been a disaster due to the massive crowd but we were there an hour early so could choose a spot. This meant I accidentally caught and enjoyed Frank Carter.  While my mate managed to ferret her way into the tent, I found a patch of shade with a fence to lean against and space to sit down (on a binbag cos all grass near fences is suspiciously damp always).  I turned out to be practically in the outside speaker stack when they turned it on, but still, I had space to breathe and enjoy it and nice people around me (shout to the young blonde couple who were at Glasto for the first time).  It was therapeutic in itself and grand fun.  Sadly, then I got caught in the logjam between Killers and Chic crowds.  That messed up the rest of my time, if I'm honest.  Resulted in me listening to Biffy from my tent rather than in the field and I could not shift the thousand yard stare.  As crowd incidents go, it wasn't terrible. It wasn't even concerning to most around me. There was an incident where a woman fell over and those around her halted the shuffle entirely until she was ok.  It was quite something to watch how the shout of 'stop!' went back and was obeyed.  But in my anxious mind it also laid bare that there was absolutely no one in hi-viz around to help if anything went properly wrong.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Was my first visit!  Made a conscious decision this year to try and do more than just music :)

We saw less music this year too for some reason, spent a lot of time in the Cabaret tent, Frank Sanazi was an unexpected highlight. 

Charm x

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2017 at 10:11 AM, Charm said:

We saw less music this year too for some reason, spent a lot of time in the Cabaret tent, Frank Sanazi was an unexpected highlight. 

Charm x

Never spent so little time watching bands as we did this year. 'Must sees' fell by the wayside as we succumbed to the gentle lure of other, more immediately therapeutic whims. spent a lot of time getting stuck in making stuff in the craft field. it's a uniquely glastonbury thing to be able to do things like spoon carving, japanese raku ceramics glazing, basket weaving. things I wouldn't make time for in the real world even if i could - but when laid out in front of me, in the place I'm in with mental health currently, they were irresistible. 

I think this year I was more focused on my kids having a great time and most of my anxiety was about them. They're 12 (twins) and one was easygoing and dancing away - the other noticeably more self conscious, making me think is she having a good time. Just at that age I guess.

Getting caught in Fridays Arcadia crush was first time I actually felt unsafe, but everywhere just seemed crowded to me this year - admittedly didn't get to green fields etc.

Sunday I was ready to go home, was in a right downer - couldn't even say why, managed to lift myself for ed where my girls and me had a great time.

Its a funny old place - 5 days to sustain being happy and jovial because you feel you should. Same as being on holiday - always feels to me a bit ungrateful to not be enjoying something. Its learning that its OK to have a dip, and as said before someone in front of you having a great time just might have been feeling like you an hour ago.

• Upvote 2

On 05/07/2017 at 10:11 AM, Charm said:

Charm x

Sunday morning is usually bad for me and about 4 years back I was in a total mess being sick the lot.. My wife dragged me out to the Cabaret tent.... It was nice and dark and not too crowded. We watched a couple of acts and I was just having my first can when on came this bloke called Frank... Well that was it I left the tent in tears and full of the joys of Glastonbury... I missed him this year but every year after that I wouldn't go a Glastonbury without seeing him and I'd take friends so that they could get it.. Genius imo wish he had longer slots tho.. 

Yea I did it here's the man to put a smile on your face.. If not your to serious lol

Edited by guypjfreak

On the subject of Frank Sanazi - on Friday night got away from the masses to see him do his 'Tom Moans' act, followed by Phill Jupitus. Enjoyed both immensely.