Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

On 2017-5-15 at 11:27 AM, dizzymoo said:

Are you going to share this  map here liamium?  Would be a fantastic resource.  What a great, truly life-affirming thread.

Absolutely. holding fire at the mo in case the main map gets updated around 2nd poster announcement but will definitely put it here in the weeks leading up :)

had a really tough week of basically not being able to leave the house and have had to shake myself out of this whole doom-laden preoccupation with making a fool of myself at Glastonbury. starting to consider staying clear of the SEC this year perhaps. without the drugs and excessive drinking that physically allow me to dance without that crippling fear of being watched, or chat to strangers, I'm not sure I could do it

7 minutes ago, jennilily said:

I'm starting to become anxious as it gets closer, my anxiety levels are quite high at the moment and I'm worried I'm really going to be overwhealmed... x

completely understand, i'm feeling much the same. trying to focus on how I can adapt my Glastonbury to match where I am at the moment (not so good) and stop resigning myself to this idea of a failed festival if i choose to keep it much more low-key than usual. 

hang in there and build your Glastonbury around however you're feeling, rather than trying to paper over it. that way, you'll be prepared for any discomfort that rears its head. and if it doesn't, great! there's been loads of great advice here already about where to go and what to do if you're feeling tense or anxious so try to bear all that in mind. 

give us a shout here in the weeks leading up, let us know how you're doing.

as we get closer, it might be worth thinking about organising some sort of meet up for anyone struggling, or anyone that just wants to have a chat/drink/cuppa somewhere quiet. or possibly exchanging numbers. then we're all only a text away from someone who gets it, needs instant recommendation of somewhere to have a breather, some reassurance, a heads up of crowd transit bottlenecks to avoid etc... 

:) x 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, liamium said:

completely understand, i'm feeling much the same. trying to focus on how I can adapt my Glastonbury to match where I am at the moment (not so good) and stop resigning myself to this idea of a failed festival if i choose to keep it much more low-key than usual. 

hang in there and build your Glastonbury around however you're feeling, rather than trying to paper over it. that way, you'll be prepared for any discomfort that rears its head. and if it doesn't, great! there's been loads of great advice here already about where to go and what to do if you're feeling tense or anxious so try to bear all that in mind. 

as we get closer, it might be worth thinking about organising some sort of meet up for anyone struggling, or anyone that just wants to have a chat/drink/cuppa somewhere quiet. or possibly exchanging numbers. then we're all only a text away from someone who gets it, needs instant recommendation of somewhere to have a breather, some reassurance, a heads up of crowd transit bottlenecks to avoid etc... 

Sounds like a brilliant idea xx

1 hour ago, liamium said:

I could go for that.  If you're struggling it's a useful pressure valve; if you're not it's a chance to help those who are.  And worst case it's a cup of tea and a sit down :)

If anyone who is worrying about their anxiety at Glastonbury and finding their concerns exacerbated by tragic events in Manchester or the discussion of security measures at the festival in other threads needs a chat/some reassurance - here if you need it :)

Also, as mentioned above, if anyone wants to band together before the festival in a whatsapp support/chat group, feel free to DM me ur numbers 

Edited by liamium
  • Upvote 1

great topic, seems a lot of people dealing with anxiety, myself included which can crop up in being a bit irrational and cranky if its taking over. i had a lot of anxious moments when i went to glastonbury the first time, dealing with many of my mates who were in various states of inebriation.  i use headspace a fair bit and i would really recommend it. i have also managed to work through my fairly crippling fear of crowds too - testing myself in crowds, trying to do some deep breathing, letting the anxiety plateau and then finding that its not that bad.  doesnt always work but i am getting there.

• Upvote 3

Apart from the newbie thread this is my first ‘proper’ post, really glad to find there’s a thread on this here :)

I’ve only become fully aware of my mental health recently and started seeing a counsellor in February. Initially it was to help deal with a trauma brought on by something awful that a family member went through last April. After a good number of sessions it’s also become apparent to me that I’ve felt deeply unhappy for a long time now and it’s been starting to feed/eat into my day to day life/mood. I don’t particularly enjoy my new job, I feel very lonely when in the company of others and my fitness has really taken a hit recently…so I’m not feeling very confident in my physical appearance either. A lot of my friends are moving into the next phase of their lives (relationships, getting a house and the like) and I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything at all, sort of like the 'runt' of the group if that makes sense?

I just don’t feel very happy in my life at the moment. I’ve mentioned it to a few close friends but not in great detail, for the most part I probably come across as my usual self. However, I’m aware that something isn’t right and I’m glad I’m finally doing something about it, been to the doctor about it as well but I want to hold off on potentially taking any medication and see if I can get by on the counselling alone. It’s been really good to vent/get this off my chest, even if it’s only in words.

I truly had one of the best times of my life at Glastonbury last year (my first time) and I’ve been looking forward to this year more than anything. I wasn’t even aware places like The Peace Garden existed; I adore my Glastonbury group with but I’m definitely going to take a walk up there by myself sometime during the week and have some time alone. It’s great to know there are places on site where you can take some time out from all the madness. :)

• Upvote 6

It's going to be my first Glasto this year and just came to terms with my entire mental health situation last year (having my first panic attack on the Eiffel Tower. That was fun!). I was kinda looking forward to the festival a lot since I've always wanted to go and I'm traveling all the way from Germany. I know of my social anxiety for a very long time and went to many festivals before, so I'm feeling quite confident on that part but family situations and other events made me quite tense lately.

I'll be with a friend who knows me very well, so I'll be in good hands, I guess. It's still so good to know that theres more people dealing with these issues and post places that are good to relax and come down at!

1 hour ago, JimmyP117 said:

Apart from the newbie thread this is my first ‘proper’ post, really glad to find there’s a thread on this here :)

I’ve only become fully aware of my mental health recently and started seeing a counsellor in February. Initially it was to help deal with a trauma brought on by something awful that a family member went through last April. After a good number of sessions it’s also become apparent to me that I’ve felt deeply unhappy for a long time now and it’s been starting to feed/eat into my day to day life/mood. I don’t particularly enjoy my new job, I feel very lonely when in the company of others and my fitness has really taken a hit recently…so I’m not feeling very confident in my physical appearance either. A lot of my friends are moving into the next phase of their lives (relationships, getting a house and the like) and I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything at all, sort of like the 'runt' of the group if that makes sense?

I just don’t feel very happy in my life at the moment. I’ve mentioned it to a few close friends but not in great detail, for the most part I probably come across as my usual self. However, I’m aware that something isn’t right and I’m glad I’m finally doing something about it, been to the doctor about it as well but I want to hold off on potentially taking any medication and see if I can get by on the counselling alone. It’s been really good to vent/get this off my chest, even if it’s only in words.

I truly had one of the best times of my life at Glastonbury last year (my first time) and I’ve been looking forward to this year more than anything. I wasn’t even aware places like The Peace Garden existed; I adore my Glastonbury group with but I’m definitely going to take a walk up there by myself sometime during the week and have some time alone. It’s great to know there are places on site where you can take some time out from all the madness. :)

Thanks for sharing that mate, really appreciate and value the time people have been taking to discuss their experiences on this thread.

I hear you on feeling a little left behind when you stack your own situation against those of seemingly much better adjusted to adulthood friends. That's something that has bothered me for a good few years now and I'm only just beginning to work it out. I've forever compared myself to the people I mentally appoint as the benchmark for success & wholeness, fighting (and losing against) a relentless feeling of worthlessness, an acute fear of really normal day-to-day social stuff. 

It sounds as if you have a handle on managing what's going on with you at the moment and it's good you've looked at counselling. If you're feeling like you're getting somewhere with this, that's great. I discounted medication for a long time, but having been on a moderate dose of anti-depressants for a while now I've found that they work for me in conjunction with therapy, particularly in combating some of the depressive episodes exacerbated by the anxiety. 

Glastonbury is my favourite place on earth and somewhere I feel incredibly safe and at ease, but I still have a few wobbles across the week and I couldn't really manage it without its little refuges and escapes from the main action :) 

• Upvote 1

My mental health is "all over the place" at the moment. Currently think that I'm going to struggle being there for any amount if time before I start thinking about my ex and become maudlin. I've had so many wonderful offers for places and people to camp with and to meet up with for beers, but my current mindset is that of not wanting to buzzkill anyone else and doing it solo. And whether I can cope with that.

3 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

My mental health is "all over the place" at the moment. Currently think that I'm going to struggle being there for any amount if time before I start thinking about my ex and become maudlin. I've had so many wonderful offers for places and people to camp with and to meet up with for beers, but my current mindset is that of not wanting to buzzkill anyone else and doing it solo. And whether I can cope with that.

Hi.  I really hope the festival works out ok for you.  I followed your other thread so understand where you're coming from.  The people that have offered you company aren't expecting you to be the life and soul, they just want to help you through a tough time. If you do have a really sad moment you can take yourself off somewhere and have a think or a cry for a while, but then try to think "right, Katy Perry is on soon so I'll go there"  and then have a laugh at all the grown men in fancy dress dancing like loons.  Or whatever else takes your fancy.  xx

On 19/05/2017 at 0:27 PM, liamium said:

I remember an afternoon in 2014. I spent most of the day alone because i'd woken up completely unable to hold a conversation with anyone in my group, and worrying that I was gonna bring the collective mood down I decided to take the day alone rather than field the usual questions about why I wasn't having a good time. Plagued all morning by this growing sensation that everyone was looking at me, that everyone could tell I was freaking out, I could barely look up from the ground as I marched towards the T&C field, knowing that once I got there everything would be fine. Found myself a spot in the dark of the cabaret tent and calmed down, let the acts wash over me, gradually find myself enjoying the jokes. Half an hour later I felt solid enough to slowly make my way to the rear of a main stage crowd for whatever it was I wanted to see.

It's a similar sort of relief I find when going to the cinema in the day. Only a handful of other people, and with the lights down I feel less scrutinised and can focus on the thing in front of me. Really sorts me out :)

Think everyone goes through something similar to this at some point. 

Glastonbury is a physical, mental and emotional journey, especially if your one to indulge. I've learnt over the years there will be times when I'll drop into a hole, and I'll have a hour or so when I'm not with it, through experience i know now that I'll come out the other side at some point, best thing to do is not to panic and ride it out.

I find going for a walk to another area helps me as it engages my brain again, sometimes been in one area of the festival too long can trip me out a bit. As sad as it sounds randomly asking for hi fives as I'm walking seems to spark something in me which keeps the lights switched on. My wife on the other hand takes naps during the day when she's feeling low. 

We all have our low points, thinking your going to go to Glastonbury and not have these low moments is a bit shortsighted, it's just finding the coping mechanisms that work for yourself  to get you through those moments 

Edited by swede
  • Upvote 1

I've just read this whole thread . One thing  is sure and it's obvious you can see all the folks at glastonbury having fun laughing , but you don't know what's going on underneath the smiles . Brave people battling through life not realising how brave they are .  The most I have to battle is trying to find the way in to my tent after a smashed night. 

Big respect to all you brave folk. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2017 at 0:42 PM, swede said:

My biggest problem mentally which is Glasto related is adjusting back to normal life after the festival, it may only be 5 days but Glastonbury is like stepping into another world at times. 2014 and 2015, 2015 especially, I had a hard time adjusting back to my normal routine. So that being said if you do suffer from depression/anxiety and have never been to Glastonbury, but also like to party,  just take it easy on the Sunday, Glastonbury comedown is real and could hit you like a tonne of bricks, this is coming from experience as the aftermath of the 2015 festival nearly ruined my life and its something that is now constantly with me, always reminding me of my limits physically and mentally.

On that note, I usually book a few days off after the festival to slowly readjust. I also have a Maccabees gig to go to on the Tuesday night and the Wednesday off this year too.

15 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

I've had so many wonderful offers for places and people to camp with and to meet up with for beers, but my current mindset is that of not wanting to buzzkill anyone else and doing it solo. And whether I can cope with that.

If people are offering to meet up or hang around with you (not just your post TRT) then think about taking them up on it. The knowledge of anxiety and depression is so much better nowadays that people want to help more and not expect 24/7 cheery people - don't feel you have to be happy for them. That offer of help is a gift if we want to take it, and we can still have time on our own. I used to avoid people or bottle it up but have been open about things for a few years, and the relief of just being me stops it building up. Hope it really works out for you all!

On 28/05/2017 at 4:50 PM, mandana said:

i use headspace a fair bit and i would really recommend it. i have also managed to work through my fairly crippling fear of crowds too - testing myself in crowds, trying to do some deep breathing, letting the anxiety plateau and then finding that its not that bad.  doesnt always work but i am getting there.

Started using headspace myself, just a 10 minute session in the middle of the day is helping me reset a bit.

16 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Remember dude, worst case you can always go home. But if you don't go in the first place you'll never know.

10 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I've just read this whole thread . One thing  is sure and it's obvious you can see all the folks at glastonbury having fun laughing , but you don't know what's going on underneath the smiles . Brave people battling through life not realising how brave they are .  The most I have to battle is trying to find the way in to my tent after a smashed night. 

Big respect to all you brave folk. 

To be fair there's times when trying to find my tent has been as stressful as some of the other stuff :lol:

I've just got back from my first festival of year 

So got there Fri evening could not get into it.. Now this is a small festival and only in its second year.. Last year was great. 

I bumped into some friends from bosganistan..... Where I live basically..... Anyway they told me that a lot of people from bosganistan where coming down next day and that was it I sort of lost all interest and started to panic. 

This festival was really just for the grandkids which is great but anxiety still hits you

Next day we spent an hour or so before going for a walk outside of the festival.. I felt a lot better and thought yea man let's do it.. As it happened I didn't DO it as my daughter lost her car keys but I had got over my panic only for the festival to close early due to a weather front that never came... 

Even tho I'd chilled even to the point of saying hi to some people I vaguely knew I was more than happy to have the camper packed and home by 2 o'clock.. We took one case of cider came home with 5 cans and bottle of gin untouched... 

I'm going to try and really make the next festival count in as much as keeping my panic and anxiety under control.. No kids and the gins had it.. Or I've had the gin lol

Don't suffer in silence mental health has boarders 

17 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Stop it right now! :P By thinking you'll be captain buzzkill you're assuming the people who want to share their festival with you won't have the capacity to listen, give you a hug or an arm squeeze if they see you struggling or simply cheer you up a bit in general.  Just play every hour as it comes.  Like Quark said, you can always leave but you'll never know unless you go.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2017 at 10:42 PM, guypjfreak said:

I'm going to try and really make the next festival count in as much as keeping my panic and anxiety under control.

It sounds as though some of what made you especially anxious was well out of your control there. I'm sorry you had a less than great one. Relieved of the pressures of parenthood and bumping into people you don't necessarily want to spend much time with, I'm sure your next one will bring the peace! :)

how's everyone doing now the full lineup is out?

does it make it easier or more difficult for you to plan your whereabouts meticulously? there are obviously benefits from a mental health angle to both systems of keen planning & loose wandering

while marking up my clash-finder I found myself panicking a little when looking at the night time stuff in the SEC i've got my eye on. i think something sounds like fun then end up convincing myself i'm not fun enough, attractive enough, enough of a fan of X for THAT particular night spot, that my twitchiness in the crowd will ruin everyone else's night, that I should just get out of everyone's way and go back to the tent. i'm worried about how i'm gonna feel in these situations without the drugs that've massively helped me get over it in the past :)