Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

On 3/21/2022 at 3:46 PM, Kalopsia said:

Thanks for the kind response, I got out for my first 10km run this morning since November, boy have I missed that!

Hopefully I will be able to get another job swiftly, I'm an 'academic' so have few qualifications but I have plenty or transferable skills and a strong set of references.

Thanks! I'm getting support, my partner believes in me, as do my chosen family and that's what really matters.

Glad it sounds like you're on the up a wee bit pal.  I know Mrs Q notices it massively when I'm not getting out running in the evenings, so can definitely vouch for the benefits!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

For an example of how much things have been on top of me lately:

I only realised that resale week is this week a couple of days ago. And that's only because a colleague told me. They say your hobbies are the first things to drop off...

Are you in for the resale Zig?

13 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I'm at work but my lunch break is at six! The gods have already been favourable. Trying for a couple of coach tickets from London for said colleague.

You got yours sorted already then?  Or you waiting for general sale on Sun?

So I've been meaning to say something on here for a bit. But thanks to this forum and some help from the glasto god's I got lucky today and got a ticket to this year's festival. Just when I thought my run of events couldn't get any darker there is light on the horizon for June at least 🙂

It's madness how somebody's life can change so much in a few months. I don't want sympathy or anything but this is my story.

A lovely girl that I met 16 years ago, and married 5 years ago left me (out of the blue, a walk away wife if anyone wants to look into it. Basically the love had gone and I think I was too blinkered looking to the future and not living in the here and now). I have a 3 year old daughter with her that I don't get to see as much now as no longer a part of the family home. Then a month ago my father had a "silent" heart attack. He has been in hospital since Feb. He needs bypass surgery, and it has been cancelled and rescheduled twice. He's supposed to be now going into theatre tomorrow. My anxiety around this is tough at times. I'm living in his home now and caring for my mum who has MS

I've been through an emotional roller coaster today. I am on antidepressant medication and have been since the collapse of the marriage and am also seeing a therapists that seems to be working. I think if I hadn't have got lucky today I would have been staring down a very dark hole. I was going to go for a very long walk to who knows where when the sold out pages came up on the website.

I don't mean to out a downer on anyone, but it's crazy how you can be on autopilot and crusing through life for somebody to throw the snow globe you live in against a wall. 

Things will get better with time, until the next challenge. I'm just so thankful I have something to look forward to now in a few months. Glastonbury festival will help the healing process I'm sure. I love the place!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Life has a habit of throwing shit at you. I’ve just found out an old friend of mine was murdered recently. I haven’t  spoke to her for a few years. The shocking part for me is that I’ve been walking past her house daily on the way to work for the last couple of years and I didn’t even know she had moved that close to me. Just trying to process it now. 

@plaskins hope all goes well and keep focused on tht positive light you have got shining!! You are doing well moving forward you will get there take each day as it comes and celebrate every achievement even the smallest and keep talking to people. 

@squirrelarmy Thts so sad what a shock! You know where we are! 

4 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Just revisiting here because I’m having a bit of bad dip today. Really struggling with life, decision making, everything really just functioning to get by 😔

Feel free to share a bit more if you can ? Any decisions in particular … 

On 3/28/2022 at 1:01 AM, plaskins said:

So I've been meaning to say something on here for a bit. But thanks to this forum and some help from the glasto god's I got lucky today and got a ticket to this year's festival. Just when I thought my run of events couldn't get any darker there is light on the horizon for June at least 🙂

It's madness how somebody's life can change so much in a few months. I don't want sympathy or anything but this is my story.

A lovely girl that I met 16 years ago, and married 5 years ago left me (out of the blue, a walk away wife if anyone wants to look into it. Basically the love had gone and I think I was too blinkered looking to the future and not living in the here and now). I have a 3 year old daughter with her that I don't get to see as much now as no longer a part of the family home. Then a month ago my father had a "silent" heart attack. He has been in hospital since Feb. He needs bypass surgery, and it has been cancelled and rescheduled twice. He's supposed to be now going into theatre tomorrow. My anxiety around this is tough at times. I'm living in his home now and caring for my mum who has MS

I've been through an emotional roller coaster today. I am on antidepressant medication and have been since the collapse of the marriage and am also seeing a therapists that seems to be working. I think if I hadn't have got lucky today I would have been staring down a very dark hole. I was going to go for a very long walk to who knows where when the sold out pages came up on the website.

I don't mean to out a downer on anyone, but it's crazy how you can be on autopilot and crusing through life for somebody to throw the snow globe you live in against a wall. 

Things will get better with time, until the next challenge. I'm just so thankful I have something to look forward to now in a few months. Glastonbury festival will help the healing process I'm sure. I love the place!

You deserve to have the best 5 days and I hope you do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmo said:

You deserve to have the best 5 days and I hope you do.

I'm only getting 4 days this time as got a Thursday coach ticket by the skin of my teeth on resale day, I can't wait to have the best 4 days though 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:38 PM, ModernMan said:

Just revisiting here because I’m having a bit of bad dip today. Really struggling with life, decision making, everything really just functioning to get by 😔

Do more if what you’ve done here - reach out! People always amaze with their capacity to listen and support. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've found a therapist that might be able to help me. God, it's a relief that I might be able to break the cycles at last. I found them via chatting with a work colleague and the topic of mental health came up. He told me of his past, similar to mine and this therapist helped him. 4 weeks of expectations and mood swings till the first chat tonight and I now have a session booked in. Utter relief, with fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 9

Got that horrible feeling in my stomach again.. 

Not had it for abit.... During the pandemic I I actually realised that people actually live without this feeling and now I'm scared very scared that I'll be back to how I was before and that can not happen cos I don't think I'd be able to handle it... Its different if I have it say when I'm going somewhere different that's to be expected but not like this.. 

Luckily I have the wife so this weekend we're going to try and fuck it off... 

Ps

Thank you in advance sawdusty old son.. 

Peace and tea. 

Hello folks! I just saw this thread pop up and gave it a read as I’m a fellow mental health sufferer. I wanted to share my background and if anyone wants to drop me a private message with any questions on treatment, medication etc. I’m very happy to have a chat. Or alternatively, if you want to offload any worries/thoughts then please feel free to as I know sometimes talking to a complete stranger is much easier than someone you know.

A couple of years ago I had a nervous breakdown. I would have panic attacks whenever I left the house and couldn’t handle being out in public. My self esteem and confidence was completely shot. However, through group CBT and medication, I was able to get my life back on track and take control of my anxiety. After 2 and a half years, I was able to successfully come off  antidepressants. I still have my wobbles and struggles, e.g.  the Ukraine war really set my anxiety levels off. I could sense how bad I was getting with refreshing the news etc. and had to take myself out of the situation before it got out of control. I’m now using the CBT workbook I was given to manage scenarios like this.

Just remember, if you’re feeling down/not yourself, you’re not alone! Seek help and no matter how low you feel, the future will be brighter and you will get through it! It sounds cheesy but it’s absolutely true ❤️

• Upvote 1

Is it weird that I'm already worried about how bad I'll feel after the festival is over? 😕

I think especially as it's been after two years of COVID, and I've not been since 2016... Getting so so excited about the festival, the build up, the webcam, line-up, announcements etc. The last two years have been really bloody tough and it's hard not to see Glastonbury as 5 days of utopia and an escape from it all.

But obviously everyday life will crash back with a vengeance afterwards and I'm not sure I'm going to cope very well with it.

Anybody else worried about building it up too much then crashing afterwards? Any ideas to help manage that in a more healthy way?

I have thought about spending less time on here (Would also be good for work productivity tbh 😂) before the festival and almost try to forget it's happening... But at the same time, the build up and excitement is part of the whole experience?

Arrrgggh, I don't know. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the post-festival blues would be welcome.

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Any suggestions on how to mitigate the post-festival blues would be welcome.

As soon as I’m back from the festival I’m straight back onto the countdown until my next event of the summer. Having something else to focus on keeps your mind occupied. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Is it weird that I'm already worried about how bad I'll feel after the festival is over? 😕

I think especially as it's been after two years of COVID, and I've not been since 2016... Getting so so excited about the festival, the build up, the webcam, line-up, announcements etc. The last two years have been really bloody tough and it's hard not to see Glastonbury as 5 days of utopia and an escape from it all.

But obviously everyday life will crash back with a vengeance afterwards and I'm not sure I'm going to cope very well with it.

Anybody else worried about building it up too much then crashing afterwards? Any ideas to help manage that in a more healthy way?

I have thought about spending less time on here (Would also be good for work productivity tbh 😂) before the festival and almost try to forget it's happening... But at the same time, the build up and excitement is part of the whole experience?

Arrrgggh, I don't know. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the post-festival blues would be welcome.

Would it be worth booking something in for the following weekend as something relaxing and fun to look forward to?

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

As soon as I’m back from the festival I’m straight back onto the countdown until my next event of the summer. Having something else to focus on keeps your mind occupied. 

I think that's part of the problem, money's pretty tight so don't have any other events or plans yet other than Glastonbury. Having said that though I'm sure I can find something to plan & look forward to that doesn't have to cost the earth - good shout. 

4 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Would it be worth booking something in for the following weekend as something relaxing and fun to look forward to?

Also a great idea... It is however my daughter's birthday that weekend so will be doing something to entertain a bunch of 8 year olds. Fun, maybe, relaxing definitely not. 😂

Thanks both!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, carlosj said:

I've found a therapist that might be able to help me. God, it's a relief that I might be able to break the cycles at last. I found them via chatting with a work colleague and the topic of mental health came up. He told me of his past, similar to mine and this therapist helped him. 4 weeks of expectations and mood swings till the first chat tonight and I now have a session booked in. Utter relief, with fingers crossed. 

This is great news. Really hope it helps!

• Thanks 1

For want of a better place to share it and because I know you lot are nice people, I'm just going to put this here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bryonys-dont-die-bike-ride

My mate has stage 4 cancer and is doing a sponsored bike ride to extend her treatment options beyond what's available on the NHS currently. She's smashing her target but every little helps! Even just sharing it would hugely help. Thanks in advance.

Loosely Glastonbury related as she's hoping to get there next year if she can stay well enough! 

Hello everyone! Haven't posted in here in a little while. Struggling a little at the moment and part of that is that I'll be going to the festival solo this year! I think mainly a bit anxious at like, being left alone with my thoughts haha! Any advice on this from people who've done it solo in the past?