Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

8 hours ago, HS94 said:

Had a proper down couple of weeks lads and been very very anxious about how I'll get through 5 days of the festival. All of my friends go very hard in terms of drink and other stuff and I'm trying to take a bit of time away from that scene for my own health at the moment. Anyone got any input?

if they are good friends I would hope they would understand,  you may not think so at present but they will probably surprise you   ...maybe take one aside and talk about wanting to go easy at Glastonbury ...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, carlosj said:

Hey, are any of these links and treatments useful, as posted earlier?

In June, explicit and implicit peer pressure can be tough. Can you take time out for yourself there (meet up with others here?) or can you drink soft drinks to reduce impact on you?

I've just finished a 12 week 1-1 CBT course with my local IAPT service, definitely been helpful but theres been a lot of other things going on in my life which have had a big impact on my mood. I always do take a bit of time out for myself anyway, and am gonna take other such measures (getting my own tent so I can sleep on my own schedule/not be woken up after 2 hours like the last festival!) to look after myself. 

Thank you for your good vibes and also to the guy who replied after you (Who I can't tag for some reason) I was in a bit of a tailspin last night and this thread was really helpful!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HS94 said:

Had a proper down couple of weeks lads and been very very anxious about how I'll get through 5 days of the festival. All of my friends go very hard in terms of drink and other stuff and I'm trying to take a bit of time away from that scene for my own health at the moment. Anyone got any input?

I hate that creeping feeling of dread when you feel you're not up to something/its not really a good idea, but at the same time worry that that will suddenly shift if you decide not to go and then you'll feel bad that you're not there, plus the pressure by friends to still go- it makes it really hard figuring out whether to go or not. I do think you know better than any of us exactly how you're feeling and how difficult being there might be for you and whether you'll be able to stay clear of stuff while your friends are doing it. It's horrible making decisions!

I will say that  I think if you're really not sure you can manage it for 5 days but still decide to go, it's sometimes helpful to have an escape plan in case you struggle while you're there and realise you really can't hack it for 5 days. I went in 2015 just a few weeks after my dad had died and was really worried I wasn't up to it, but knowing I could leave (via shuttle bus and train) if it got a bit too much helped even though I didn't actually do so.

Over the years on these boards it seems like sometimes people are wary of going due to personal stuff, but then once they're there something shifts and they are able to enjoy it, and then there have been other people who have got there then realised they've made huge mistake and left early. Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure in advance, you just have to trust your gut feeling. I think I was in the middle, whereby I realised I'd made a huge mistake once I got there but once I'd got to the main music starting of Friday I was okay (and actually enjoying it by the Saturday). It was still difficult in parts and I'm still not sure if it was the right decision to go or not!

9 minutes ago, HS94 said:

I've just finished a 12 week 1-1 CBT course with my local IAPT service, definitely been helpful but theres been a lot of other things going on in my life which have had a big impact on my mood. I always do take a bit of time out for myself anyway, and am gonna take other such measures (getting my own tent so I can sleep on my own schedule/not be woken up after 2 hours like the last festival!) to look after myself. 

Thank you for your good vibes and also to the guy who replied after you (Who I can't tag for some reason) I was in a bit of a tailspin last night and this thread was really helpful!

Good to hear it!

If sleep's really important, I couldn't recommend a Quechua blackout tent enough. Absolute game changer, especially if it's hot. I slept till around 11am every day in 2017.

10 hours ago, HS94 said:

Bit late to the proverbial party here, so I think @crazyfool1 already picked up on what I'd be saying.  Are your friends already aware of your situation and how you feel about stuff like this?  If so then hopefully they're good enough friend to look out for you, not pressure you into too much and give you the space you need at times without making you feel like you're dropping out on them or owt like that :)

On 5/14/2017 at 11:30 PM, Mr.Tease said:

I think MDMA really helped me with my depression when I was younger- I credit it with helping me reconnect with myself, and helping me talk about what was going on for me (I know people have a tendency to say they were talking complete cobblers once they've sobered up, but I think that's because they're a bit embarrassed). Of course there are people who have bad experiences on it and also the come downs eventually become brutal and can leave you feeling suicidal so I'm certainly not recommending it to others! 

Indeed I would say person centred counselling is essentially about trying to simulate the conditions or at least conversation type that are common when on MDMA - the aim is for the therapist to offer the core conditions of empathy (understanding), congruence (realness) and unconditional positive regard (non judgemental acceptance) which allows the client to explore their issues and reconnect with and process their feelings.

I think it's definitely worth more proper research being done, but bizarrely governments seem quite content to pump out the current anti depressants, yet oppose MDMA at every turn.  

First let me say this is a great thread, and well done to all the contributers so far. 

I personally have never had MH issues but this post on MDMA resonates with me a lot. Many moons ago when i was at the end of school and going to Uni, my friends and i all did MDMA regularly for a couple of years. What i believe this helped create was a group of friends who, for a group of young men, had communicated on a very deep and personal level, shared all of their hopes and fears with each other and were very comfortable giving each other a big hug when it was needed. We are all 36/37 now, we barely do any drugs at all now, but we are all still extremely close and i believe that this stability and foundation has helped us all through the tough times in our lives and i have no doubt that our shared experiences on MDMA helped forge this special bond. 

Much love to you all, have a great festival, look after yourselves and look after each other. 

PEACE!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HS94 said:

Just to echo @Quark's excellent advice, try to be as open and honest with your gang as you feel comfortable with. Even if it's just a message pre-festival to say you're not gonna hit the booze and extras that hard, at least they know not to pressure you or to press as to why.

I'm in the same boat, our group is pretty hard-core and go all out. I'm now off recreational psychoactive substances for life given a flirtation with psychosis over Christmas. I'm gonna be giving them a heads up nearer the time that I'll be drinking only, even then given my medication I imagine I'll spend most of the festival sober.

I still plan on going all out as much as I can but also appreciate that without that extra energy in the evening I'm unlikely to pull the same all nighters as usual.

Plus my tolerance of dance music without MDMA is almost zilch. But then I'll have the opportunity to explore different areas at night that I haven't previously.

Ultimately there's no wrong way to do the festival, if you need to change pace or direction then that's ok. Once you're in that fence and feel that magical atmosphere I'm sure the anxiety for the most part will dissipate. If not then there's hopefully going to be a WhatsApp from people on here if a bit of advice, chat or a cup of tea is needed.

2 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

First let me say this is a great thread, and well done to all the contributers so far. 

I personally have never had MH issues but this post on MDMA resonates with me a lot. Many moons ago when i was at the end of school and going to Uni, my friends and i all did MDMA regularly for a couple of years. What i believe this helped create was a group of friends who, for a group of young men, had communicated on a very deep and personal level, shared all of their hopes and fears with each other and were very comfortable giving each other a big hug when it was needed. We are all 36/37 now, we barely do any drugs at all now, but we are all still extremely close and i believe that this stability and foundation has helped us all through the tough times in our lives and i have no doubt that our shared experiences on MDMA helped forge this special bond. 

Much love to you all, have a great festival, look after yourselves and look after each other. 

PEACE!

It's quite funny because I'm almost certain that MDMA use has contributed in some part, if not wholly to my current mental health situation. But using it and feeling the confidence and bonds formed with others is also a massive part of how I overcame my huge confidence and social anxiety issues. Helped me to love myself more, and once I realised that I actually couldn't give a fuck about what anyone else thought about me I felt free for the first time.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, Mr.Tease said:

I'm a counsellor....

Mr Tease that is interesting to hear. I am currently (re) training to be a counsellor, and will go back to uni in September to do my accredited course as a person centred counsellor. Would be nice to catch up at some point to get your insight on this new world I am entering, that is if you get the time over the festival period, and would take a cider as an incentive ??

And to all of you sharing your experiences you have my greatest respect. I have had my downer moments myself, and I have a very close relation who has historically self harmed (quite extremely). For me, seeing someone whom I love in a state of torment and being helpless to make it go away is beyond  pain. Her journey to stability has been based on various talking therapies. They can be invaluable. 

Much love to all

Would like to say a massive thank you to everyone on the board for their support over the last 24 hours, had a right shit tip of a day at work on very little sleep. Been to see The National at Royal Festival Hall tonight and explained the situation on the down low to a few of my friends throughout the evening, all very understanding, if I can get through a day like today I'm sure I'll be chin up by the time summer rolls round!

Turns out my therapist was right, I make a lot of anxious predictions and its never quite the worst case scenario!

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, HS94 said:

Would like to say a massive thank you to everyone on the board for their support over the last 24 hours, had a right shit tip of a day at work on very little sleep. Been to see The National at Royal Festival Hall tonight and explained the situation on the down low to a few of my friends throughout the evening, all very understanding, if I can get through a day like today I'm sure I'll be chin up by the time summer rolls round!

Turns out my therapist was right, I make a lot of anxious predictions and its never quite the worst case scenario!

absolutely and many of us are guilty of doing exactly the same thing  x

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

absolutely and many of us are guilty of doing exactly the same thing  x

6 hours ago, HS94 said:

Glad you are feeling more positive. I definitely do that too, I'm my own worst enemy!

14 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Mr Tease that is interesting to hear. I am currently (re) training to be a counsellor, and will go back to uni in September to do my accredited course as a person centred counsellor. Would be nice to catch up at some point to get your insight on this new world I am entering, that is if you get the time over the festival period, and would take a cider as an incentive ??

And to all of you sharing your experiences you have my greatest respect. I have had my downer moments myself, and I have a very close relation who has historically self harmed (quite extremely). For me, seeing someone whom I love in a state of torment and being helpless to make it go away is beyond  pain. Her journey to stability has been based on various talking therapies. They can be invaluable. 

Much love to all

Feel free to DM me in June (should know my mobile number by then as I take a cheapo mobile & sim to the festival to allow me to undergo internet detox while there!).

It is really hard seeing someone you care about so distressed, I'm glad they've found other ways of supporting themselves.

One of the most useful bits of training I did was early on, when someone came to speak about self harm. She preferred to term it self-soothing, and that it's something everyone does to cope when distressed (just some forms are a bit more graphic/visable/ more painful looking)- so essentially it's anything anyone does when they are feeling overwhelmed that results in harm or risk of harm to their bodies, including getting drunk/excessive drug taking, insomnia, over eating, under eating, smoking, sexually risky behaviour, cutting, burning, smacking yourself, speeding, etc etc. Some of these are more socially acceptable than others.

I think looking at it like this helps people empathise better with people who maybe use more graphic ways of self harming rather than judging them/ treating them like they're 'crazy' or worse doing a guilt trip thing! "oh, how can you do this to yourself!" "don't you feel bad about upsetting your parents" etc etc. That's awful but seems to be all to common in some schools and 'helping' professions- imagine if you've had the most awful day and are feeling the worst you've ever felt, so get home and decide to get horrifically drunk, then someone comes up to you and lectures you about how selfish you are for getting drunk, how you've let down your yourself and family etc etc- awful! A big problem is that people end up focusing on the form the self harm has taken, rather than trying to understand what was causing the distress that led to it.

There was also a campaign a while ago to have suicide separated from self harm in the NHS as suicide is about ending your life, where as self-harm is about trying to stay alive- not sure if the campaign was successful or not, but I hope it was.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah the curse of overthinking. The bane of my life! :lol:

Glad you're feeling a bit on the up

It's like that line from the REM song ('world leader pretend', I think), "I sit at my table, and wage war on myself"- always resonated with me!

48 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Feel free to DM me in June (should know my mobile number by then as I take a cheapo mobile & sim to the festival to allow me to undergo internet detox while there!).

It is really hard seeing someone you care about so distressed, I'm glad they've found other ways of supporting themselves.

One of the most useful bits of training I did was early on, when someone came to speak about self harm. She preferred to term it self-soothing, and that it's something everyone does to cope when distressed (just some forms are a bit more graphic/visable/ more painful looking)- so essentially it's anything anyone does when they are feeling overwhelmed that results in harm or risk of harm to their bodies, including getting drunk/excessive drug taking, insomnia, over eating, under eating, smoking, sexually risky behaviour, cutting, burning, smacking yourself, speeding, etc etc. Some of these are more socially acceptable than others.

I think looking at it like this helps people empathise better with people who maybe use more graphic ways of self harming rather than judging them/ treating them like they're 'crazy' or worse doing a guilt trip thing! "oh, how can you do this to yourself!" "don't you feel bad about upsetting your parents" etc etc. That's awful but seems to be all to common in some schools and 'helping' professions- imagine if you've had the most awful day and are feeling the worst you've ever felt, so get home and decide to get horrifically drunk, then someone comes up to you and lectures you about how selfish you are for getting drunk, how you've let down your yourself and family etc etc- awful! A big problem is that people end up focusing on the form the self harm has taken, rather than trying to understand what was causing the distress that led to it.

There was also a campaign a while ago to have suicide separated from self harm in the NHS as suicide is about ending your life, where as self-harm is about trying to stay alive- not sure if the campaign was successful or not, but I hope it was.

I think that is a great way of looking at the self-harm thing. I don't think of myself as someone who self-harms, but I've done at least nine things on that list over the years, probably for the wrong reasons. And there's definitely mental ways of self-harming too, by indulging in negative/destructive thought patterns etc. There is too much stigma around the term.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Will DM you. Thanks. 

Yes as @Zoo Music Girl says your description of self harming is insightful. It squares with my experience, though it’s bloody hard to get over the ‘harm’ in order to focus on the underlying distress.

out of upvotes already but take one in credit....

I must admit I am beginning to feel a little nervous about going this year after having a break of nearly ten years from festivals. I live with bi-polar, but suffer greatly with depression and anxiety. I had a small stroke a few years back and it has affected my memory and I started hearing voices which are mildly annoying. I find it difficult travelling any distance and being in crowds and there is a risk of self harm. I am taking my son with me as support and am making plans for time out (I am investing a blackout tent so I have somewhere cool and dark if I feel the need to sit and hug myself while muttering inane bollocks to myself, There may be rocking involved and possibly some gentle sobbing ? )

Thankfully I don't find the need for recreationals at Glastonbury but have done at other festivals. I am limiting what I drink although I find I drink shitloads of water, This will only be the second time I have attended as a punter so that will be a relative leap in the unknown as staff camping id usually a little quieter (used to camp at the top of the Hill of Death going in PGC)

I am quite honest and blunt with my family about my mental health and I have a lot of faith in my son.

• Upvote 1

Just want to say thank u to all those posting on the thread! Im not in a great place at rhe moment and have been reading lots of mental health sites! Im thinking of not coming which tells me im not great as glastonbury is my calmest safest place! Reading this thread has stopped me from overthinking and crying for a little time! So thank you all!  

• Upvote 2

I am not saying I am rightas we are all different, but to qualify things I have been a counsellor and a psychiatric nurse, and I live with bipolar. My experience is purely my own but I found the courage to tell me friends a d family was the most difficult step. People are afraid of honesty as partly it makes them feel impotent that they can't help you

I haven't burnt myself for about a year.. My mates are all cool as are most of the family... Who ever said cbt works is right.. But I have to admit I do think of it every day.. 

One funny thing that's works for me is my bands.. I never take them off and when they fall off I have a place I put them... Anyway what I was driving at is each band is a success, some thing I OVERCAME MYSELF.... Well with the wife.... 

So try to find some thing that helps.. Oo by the way they only help after the act.. So I can look at them now and think fuck Yea in 65 I'll be going to glasto.. A couple of weeks before I'll be shitting then panic then... If I get a ticket lol. It'll all be over in 5 day and I'll think what the fuck did worry about.. Then I have the band and think 

Another one done.. On and on to the next one. 

If that made sense good luck lol 

On 4/21/2019 at 5:19 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I must admit I am beginning to feel a little nervous about going this year

Dude, when I was having a mental health crisis a few years ago you were a rock, providing me with the peace of mind of knowing that there was someone out there who would understand if I needed to speak to someone.  I never needed to because that knowledge was what I needed and I thank you for it.

If there is anything, anything at all that I can do should you need it, please let me know.

I am just coming out of a depressive phase.  I was also nervous about the festival this year, based on my recent state of mind, but this is something I've dealt with all my life and I know that right now, today, I'm on the up and in a couple of months I'll be at my most human and able to cope. 

I say this every year, but if anyone is ever feeling it is all too much and you just need to escape, head to the 50p tea tent in undleground (just off the old railway, the junction before SE corner or follow the path straight downhill from the stone circle through craft field) as it is an oasis of calm where you will find people who will understand, will not judge and will sell you a cheap cuppa.  Sit in that quiet space, get yourself together however you have to and if you can't bring it under control and you know that you are just going to continue to get worse, ask a steward on the railway line for directions to the nearest festival welfare point, where experienced people will be able to offer some assistance if you need it and call for medical assistance if that is what is required. 

I am lucky that I do not suffer with mental health problems but there are people close to me who do so I  do understand what some of you are going through. Can I wish those people a happy and safe festival. 

The Samaritans always used to be at the festival so maybe have their number handy if you hit a bad patch.

As Ringo says, Love and Peace.

The one thing I find can be a downside when it comes to anxiety on this board is that we all talk about the festival like it's the most important thing in the world and a very big deal.

What really helped me was realising it wasn't.

Glastonbury is great, but it is just a festival at heart. It's not a life-changing experience, it's not heaven on earth, it's not a 24-hour, five day party. It's all those things to *some people* but it's not that to everyone. And I used to find putting that sort of pressure on *it* actually then put that pressure on me. The idea I was doing it wrong if I wasn't getting out of it what they were.

It's fine to just go along and see some bands you want to see, eat some nice food, check out a bit of comedy of theatre, maybe have a couple of drinks. Treat it more like a city-break than a festival.

It's fine to go back to your tent after the headliners, or even before them if nothing takes your fancy. It's fine to go back to your tent mid-afternoon and read a book for an hour. It's fine to be on your phone and checking in with the real world. It's fine to give a mate back home a call if you just need a chat. It's fine to leave if you really aren't enjoying it (and as someone else mentioned, having an exit plan - so knowing how you can get home via shuttle bus/train and not being reliant on a lift and so feeling "stuck" really helps). 

The notion that Glastonbury is some magical place almost out of time is a fantasy that we kind of buy into on here. It's almost heretical to remind people it's just a field near Bristol with some bands on. It's got a phone signal and 24-hour transport links.

There's no right or wrong way to do the festival, you are allowed to meet it on your own terms.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Glastonbury is great, but it is just a festival at heart. It's not a life-changing experience, it's not heaven on earth, it's not a 24-hour, five day party. It's all those things to *some people* but it's not that to everyone. And I used to find putting that sort of pressure on *it* actually then put that pressure on me. The idea I was doing it wrong if I wasn't getting out of it what they were.

I think this got picked up somewhere back along the thread. Might have been @Zoo Music Girl. There is a tendency to put pressure on yourself to have the best time ever because it's the best place in the world and all that gubbins.  And yeah, it's worth remembering!