"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

41 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

Just jumping into this now, and not intending to be controversial (I hate feeling like I have to qualify a statement with that) but I feel Gorillaz are pretty overrated. They've made a few decent tunes and I can listen to their output without needing to run a mile, but so much of their credibility lies within the names of their musicians rather than the quality of the music itself.

many of you will argue that. But you'll be wrong. It's largely a novelty thing.

when they stop, we won't be begging for more.

I think a lot of people here would agree with you, myself included. Nothing particularly awful about their music, just a load of "meh".

7 minutes ago, McCor said:

I think if it's Gorillaz, it would not live up to the really big secret chaos EE, and this thread, has created. I'm expecting a huge act. HUGE!!!!! I don't think they fit that criteria. Would have had more impact to have announced them on the poster and had Radiohead as the secret. 

The thought of Radiohead being held back as a secret is giving me heart palpitations. Thank fuck we don't live in that reality!

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Real bands dont hid behind cartoon characters mate.

Except for Iron Maiden, obviously.

Maiden have a mascot with them on stage who comes out for the odd song or 2....how is that hiding behind a cartoon? Gorillaz band just looked fucking bored during the last glasto show...thats what happens when you put on a show with hired musicians rather then being a proper touring band. You want damon?  book blur rather then his narrcisistic ego trip side project.....Miles better! 

• Downvote 1

I remember when Plastic Beach came out this forum was gushing over it and them, has people's opinions changed or the personell on here? It's 6 years ago now I don't really remember. No issue with either, all subjective and that but I'm surprised that an under rehearsed/naive (in my eyes, I'm cool with people just calling it rubbish) headline set and subpar album has shifted people's opinions that much here.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I remember when Plastic Beach came out this forum was gushing over it and them, has people's opinions changed or the personell on here? It's 6 years ago now I don't really remember. No issue with either, all subjective and that but I'm surprised that an under rehearsed/naive (in my eyes, I'm cool with people just calling it rubbish) headline set and subpar album has shifted people's opinions that much here.

I like it more  now than when it was released. But it's fair to say a band is only as good as it's last album. They're a funny act, since it's essentially totally new band every time, with Damon as the only core member.  In a sense, there's no such thing as Gorillaz, it's just a solo project with lots of collaboration and no direct references to Albarn's personal life.

36 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I really wasn't fond of that album. The Glasto set actually made me like some of the songs a little more. I'm very hit and miss with Gorillaz due to the genre hopping Albarn does on those albums. I like the first album the most.

2 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Just jumping into this now, and not intending to be controversial (I hate feeling like I have to qualify a statement with that) but I feel Gorillaz are pretty overrated. They've made a few decent tunes and I can listen to their output without needing to run a mile, but so much of their credibility lies within the names of their musicians rather than the quality of the music itself.

many of you will argue that. But you'll be wrong. It's largely a novelty thing.

when they stop, we won't be begging for more.

I hate the attitude towards music that portrays one person as the child and the others as the townsfolk amazed at the emperor's new robe. Perhaps people just prefer a band to you without it being some sort of blindness on their part because they're too amazed by the guests.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I like it more  now than when it was released. But it's fair to say a band is only as good as it's last album. They're a funny act, since it's essentially totally new band every time, with Damon as the only core member.  In a sense, there's no such thing as Gorillaz, it's just a solo project with lots of collaboration and no direct references to Albarn's personal life.

That's fair. I haven't given it it's fair go yet, only been through it twice there's been a lot of good stuff out there at the moment, I still find it odd that people don't think a band that just sold out an arena tour and have headlined in the past wouldn't be a decent secret and in working out if I'm right or wrong to find that odd.

That's not an expression of me believing it'll be them or even wanting it to be them by the way (c'mon king fu Kenny!) 

14 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I really wasn't fond of that album. The Glasto set actually made me like some of the songs a little more. I'm very hit and miss with Gorillaz due to the genre hopping Albarn does on those albums. I like the first album the most.

That first album is a dirty classic and has it's days as my favourite, I'd say the second is the best. I love the third as well though, the genre hopping sort of adds something to me in those albums as it still felt like a bit of a band thing as opposed to it now being a full Damon thing.

Judging by the the earlier comments in the thread I'm in a minority that thinks the cartoon thing really adds to the art of it all, it can be whatever it wants (or could before the emphasis shifted so much more on Hewlett and Albarn with this album). They've been had a massive effect on me in that way and are definitely a part of the career I've ended up on (freelance(unemployed) 3d artist/animator).

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Gorillaz band just looked fucking bored during the last glasto show...thats what happens when you put on a show with hired musicians rather then being a proper touring band. You want damon?  book blur rather then his narrcisistic ego trip side project.....Miles better! 

Not to defend the Gorillaz show cos I was elsewhere, but most solo acts and tonnes of bands tour with hired musicians and it impacts the show not a jot.

And how's Gorillaz narcissistic if it's basically a vehicle for ongoing rotating cast of collaborators while he hides behind a cartoon?  It can't be both. 

If that's who the secret booking is then it's a good one.  I'm not especially excited by it,  but then I've held from the beginning of all this that you might as well keep your expectations realistic and then you have less chance of being disappointed when it turns out to be someone you're not that arsed by.  You were the one that gave me a telling off for not being all hyped up.

• Upvote 1

Gorillaz would be a massive deal if that's what the big secret ends up being. Shame the new album's a bit shit which kind of ruins just how excited I can get over the prospect of it being them, and no doubt a bunch of people are gonna be disappointed that it's not some of the more ridiculous names being thrown about, but yeah, makes total sense for it to be them really what with Damon's love of the festival and possibly wanting to give it another bash after 2010's lacklustre show. Be interested to see where they're gonna slot in if it is them.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Friend of the festival who shows up fairly frequently in all manner of guises and has an ego that allows himto play more or less anywhere on the bill - playing shows around that time and so the band are up and running, and has that weekend free.  

Definitely a front-running candidate.

Could it really be...Fat Boy?!