"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

Emily's idea of what constitutes a 'really big secret' maybe taken with a pinch of salt, but we also had that tweet from the sound tech who was at the farm this week and described the big secret as HUGE. 

Now, assuming he did actually know the info, unless I've got a completely sense of proportion from him and Emily, I'd be surprised if they were talking about Elbow, Liam, or even Gorrilaz to be honest. But then who could it be?

I agree there's no chance of Floyd or Zeppelin. Both had perfect send-offs at Live 8 and the O2 respectively. Gilmour has made it perfectly clear he's no intention of doing anything else with Floyd, and with Richard Wright no longer around legally there's only him and Mason left. Ditto Plant with Zeppelin. I don't buy the rumour they've accepted $15 million to reform, that's nothing to them, they've no doubt been offered much more in the past. 

Queen are out of the frame, they're elsewhere. I can't see it being REM - I read that Peter Buck is touring with another musician (can't remember name, not big), over May & June. Elton is unlikely.

I want it to be Macca (with or without Ringo). He's about to go on tour and given the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper, and on the Sunday it'll be 50 years to the day since 'All You Need is Love' was beamed live around the world. It fits perfectly, but seems far to good to be true and I'm not hopeful, but you never know, at the age of 75 perhaps he accepts he won't have many years of touring left, and a Sunday teatime slot is appealing.

I'd be more than happy with The Kinks too. Long overdue.

Can't deny Gaga would be huge, but maybe  it could be Kraftwerk after all. Not the biggest of acts, but there's always a huge scramble for tickets when they play here, they'll just be wrapping up a UK tour and them bringing their 3D show to Glastonbury would be an event.

58 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Can't stand most Grime either, and as the lineup at Festivals I go to get more grime-heavy you notice a more attitudey douchebaggy crowd come with it too.  Call that a generalisation if you like, but I'm only going by what I've seen...

-3 votes on this post yet people routinely say the same about indie bands and their crowd following on here and it's accepted as gospel. Ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Emily's idea of what constitutes a 'really big secret' maybe taken with a pinch of salt, but we also had that tweet from the sound tech who was at the farm this week and described the big secret as HUGE. 

Now, assuming he did actually know the info, unless I've got a completely sense of proportion from him and Emily, I'd be surprised if they were talking about Elbow, Liam, or even Gorrilaz to be honest. But then who could it be?

I agree there's no chance of Floyd or Zeppelin. Both had perfect send-offs at Live 8 and the O2 respectively. Gilmour has made it perfectly clear he's no intention of doing anything else with Floyd, and with Richard Wright no longer around legally there's only him and Mason left. Ditto Plant with Zeppelin. I don't buy the rumour they've accepted $15 million to reform, that's nothing to them, they've no doubt been offered much more in the past. 

Queen are out of the frame, they're elsewhere. I can't see it being REM - I read that Peter Buck is touring with another musician (can't remember name, not big), over May & June. Elton is unlikely.

I want it to be Macca (with or without Ringo). He's about to go on tour and given the 50th Anniversary of Sgt Pepper, and on the Sunday it'll be 50 years to the day since 'All You Need is Love' was beamed live around the world. It fits perfectly, but seems far to good to be true and I'm not hopeful, but you never know, at the age of 75 perhaps he accepts he won't have many years of touring left, and a Sunday teatime slot is appealing.

Can't deny Gaga would be huge, but maybe  it could be Kraftwerk after all. Not the biggest of acts, but there's always a huge scramble for tickets when they play here, they'll just be wrapping up a UK tour and them bringing their 3D show to Glastonbury would be an event.

The likes of Gaga, Liam and Kraftwerk have all been rumored on this site though - so none of them could be classed as a big secret.

Just now, Eks101 said:

The likes of Gaga, Liam and Kraftwerk have all been rumored on this site though - so none of them could be classed as a big secret.

Every possible band/artist has been rumoured on here... :lol: including dead people coming back as holograms 

1 minute ago, Eks101 said:

Eh? You're suggesting that the 'Big Secret' act can only be one that hasn't been mentioned on here? That rules out just about everyone.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Eh? You're suggesting that the 'Big Secret' act can only be one that hasn't been mentioned on here? That rules out just about everyone.

Think she's referring to the actual rumours page rather than the forum or this thread. I would be intrigued to see the full list of everyone who's been mentioned in this thread :D

Has anyone considered Paramore? They're in Bristol on the Wednesday and Edinburgh on the Thursday with a gap on the Friday before heading to Germany on Saturday. Not my bag but they're pretty big and the lineup is severely lacking in female acts bar Perry, Sande,Laura Marling and Haim.

I still think it's Gaga. She knows what the place is all about, isn't afraid to do a stripped back show and would probably accept a spot lower down on the lineup.

4 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

As page 100 looms on the horizon, I'm going to try and précis what we know/ don't know. Forgive me if there are any errors/ feel free to correct! By the time I have finished writing, hopefully this will be defunct and we will know for sure....

Bravo, you've managed to try and logically apply numbers to the illogical and for that you should be applauded. 

To boot you place the chance of Depeche Mode playing quite high, so as far as I'm concerned, you can do no harm. Go forth and spread this gospel!

Edited by popcornmaster
That quote was fucking massive

7 minutes ago, HomeParkMark said:

Not my bag but they're pretty big and the lineup is severely lacking in female acts bar Perry, Sande,Laura Marling and Haim.

After reading this I had a look at the lineup again, except who you said: Warpaint, Angel Olsen, The xx, Kate Tempest, Annie Mac, Birdy, Lisa Hannigan, Halsey, First Aid Kit, Solange, Lorde and London Grammar stood out. I don't think they're lacking at all (but maybe that's just because of how shit the other festivals are at booking female acts).

Edited by Alex DeLarge

44 minutes ago, henry bear said:

With you there Henry, either of those would float my boat most buoyantly! 

(I wouldn't agree however that Gaga being the secret justifies the HUGE tag personally...)

18 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

After reading this I had a look at the lineup again, except who you said: Warpaint, Angel Olsen, The xx, Kate Tempest, Annie Mac, Birdy, Lisa Hannigan, Halsey, First Aid Kit, Solange, Lorde and London Grammar stood out. I don't think they're lacking at all (but maybe that's just because of how shit the other festivals are at booking female acts).

Other than Lorde (i'd forgotten about her) are any of those really that big a deal (most have played before anyway)? You can't deny the lineup is very male heavy at the top of the stages and Emily's stated many times that she wants a bigger female presence. 

2 hours ago, 42hamlet said:

I'm of the opinion that clutching at straws with regards to Glastonbury is both fun and absolutely fine as I know I'm going to have a great time and find it impossible to be disappointed even if the straw clutching is wrong

For that reason, a part of me is grabbing at all the Led Zepp related straws I can and assuming that the weird Airship fly past mentioned a while back has something to do with this potential reunion and we'll see a mid day Led Zep set complete with actual Zeppelin. (http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-2017-worlds-largest-aircraft-22150)

The rational part of me says Gorillaz but I'm happy to have fun getting excited for and speculating about Led Zepp anyway :P

(plus I won't be disappointed with Gorillaz anyway so it feels pretty win-win)

The part-plane, part-airship, which is the length of a football pitch, was moved out of its hangar at Cardington, Bedfordshire on Friday for the first time since it crashed in August last year.

Are they really sure flying over Glastonbury is a good idea?! :blink:

49 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Yeah as mufcok said I'm referring to the site not this forum.  As this is probably the biggest/best source of rumors for people playing the festival you would have to assume that by saying "we've managed to keep it completely quiet for the first time ever" she means that, if it's an artist, then it's one that has not been on the rumors section on this website in any form.  

21 minutes ago, billum said:

With you there Henry, either of those would float my boat most buoyantly! 

(I wouldn't agree however that Gaga being the secret justifies the HUGE tag personally...)

You don't think an American act flying over for Glastonbury who could headline but won't be is a big deal?

Let's remind ourselves of FF flying over just to appear at the pub in Frome to announce the headline show. That tells you enough and she is likely to be more into Glastonbury and what it is than Grohl.

9 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

has this really still not been annouced? fuck me now its verging on the annoying rather then the `oooh i cant wait to see who it is`) that goes for the final poster in general, so eager to start plying through the acts checking out new music and seeing what clashes there are etc.,

The final poster/line up is always late May/early June.

Patience. 

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

You don't think an American act flying over for Glastonbury who could headline but won't be is a big deal?

Let's remind ourselves of FF flying over just to appear at the pub in Frome to announce the headline show. That tells you enough and she is likely to be more into Glastonbury and what it is than Grohl.

Yeah I do take your point, and it would be a big deal, but I reckon the way it's been built up is more likely for the sort of surprise band we didn't think we'd ever see again (OK, maybe this is only in our fevered minds) than for a current act known to be active who (gasp) is probably past her best (sorry to the Little Monsters out there...)