"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

8 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

You are reading too much into those two words. 'I haven't told anybody it's happening" literally just means something is taking place and she has kept it a secret. The fact she hasn't told anybody is a much bigger indicator.

I agree, the fact that she hasn't told anyone it's happening means it has to be a significant event. It could be a very underwhelming event, like Liam Gallagher playing his first UK solo show (apart from the secret one he's doing in London soon), but I still think it has to be something that constitutes an event. Gorillaz returning doesn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Eks101 said:

Which is fine, but then you have to appreciate it's the equivalent of saying you don't like a film which you have never seen, as the genre isn't particularly to your liking. Basically other people won't value your opinion on it. 

I'm not asking people to value my opinion. In fact, all I've said is that I've never knowingly heard any of these big rap, grime and EDM artists and I was justifying why I'd never heard them because someone asked me whether I was curious to know what they sound like. In short, there's too much music that I do like for me to bother dipping my toe into waters that I'm fairly confident I won't like.

2 minutes ago, OddRon said:

You can like both though, it's okay friend, I love The National and Fleet Foxes and all those lovely American bands like real estate and parquet courts whilst also enjoying Danny brown, kendrick, Vince staples etc 

I know I can like both. But I don't. I don't make a choice to like something because I think I should - there's a fuck load of indie bands I don't like as well. But I just don't like how modern r&b and rap sounds. That's my opinion and I don't need anyone to agree with me to validate it. 

3 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I agree, the fact that she hasn't told anyone it's happening means it has to be a significant event. It could be a very underwhelming event, like Liam Gallagher playing his first UK solo show (apart from the secret one he's doing in London soon), but I still think it has to be something that constitutes an event. Gorillaz returning doesn't.

Why? A band that sells out arenas everywhere settling for a sub/park slot after headlining last time they were there.

Any other UK festival they'd almost certainly headline. It's an event.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bradders said:

An arena-level band that's previously headlined - albeit to not a great deal of acclaim - playing their only other festival show* on a smaller stage (or an earlier timeslot) qualifies as a big secret.

* Margate aside

17 minutes ago, McCor said:

Apologies, bad journo from Radio X

A few days after the resale and a stage announcement they had their music news on and reported the stage announcement and that the next Sunday was last chance to get tickets. Presumed it was an old music news played again by mistake but maybe they were really that out of date and late to the party

Can't stand most Grime either, and as the lineup at Festivals I go to get more grime-heavy you notice a more attitudey douchebaggy crowd come with it too.  Call that a generalisation if you like, but I'm only going by what I've seen...

• Downvote 5

I'd expect the Foo Fighters to have some sort of special guest, members of Queen or Led Zep being past examples - Maybe Macca? Either way I don't think that in itself will be the 'big secret' because it seems fairly typical for a big Foo Fighters show.

That, and the big secret will be Elbow.

I don't think the big secret is just another band.  I wouldn't think that an extra band would be significant enough for Emily to use the words "A big secret".  

I think it's more likely to be a thing.  A new stage, or a new area, or a major change to an existing stage or area.  

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

An arena-level band that's previously headlined - albeit to not a great deal of acclaim - playing their only other festival show* on a smaller stage (or an earlier timeslot) qualifies as a big secret.

* Margate aside

Fair enough, I don't see it that way but it seems everyone else does!

10 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Can't stand most Grime either, and as the lineup at Festivals I go to get more grime-heavy you notice a more attitudey douchebaggy crowd come with it too.  Call that a generalisation if you like, but I'm only going by what I've seen...

CONFIRMED: Glastonbury Festival 2017 will effectively just be a 5 day fight club.

32 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Now do I reluctantly stand through 3 hrs of shouty Dave and the boys in the hope of these rumours are indeed true. I'd be suicidal if they didn't turn up and I'd wasted a headliner

Yeah I agree, it's a horrible dilemma. I'm not going to forego seeing someone I want to see to go through hours of Foos in the hope of seeing some Led Zep unless there's a much bigger hint  or actual confirmation that they'll be there. Missing the potential collaborunion would be less awful than missing a band I really want to see and that *not* happening!

Incidentally I don't think they'd get permission to fly that blimp over one of the most densely-populated parts of the planet when it crashed spectacularly last time out...

10 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I don't think the big secret is just another band.  I wouldn't think that an extra band would be significant enough for Emily to use the words "A big secret".  

I think it's more likely to be a thing.  A new stage, or a new area, or a major change to an existing stage or area.  

Could be something as simple as the Park stage or somewhere getting big screens.

Just to beat the dead horse with a different kind of stick...

Gorillaz happening *could* be considered a big event if they do something new and cool with the characters. A 3D/hologram band or something like that. They've always been known to do that sort of thing, a VR gig is something I could see them trying although probably not at Glastonbury 

6 minutes ago, ChristoGlasto said:

Could if be beach boys of Brian Wilson? I seem to remember rumours ages ago about one of them playing but nothing recently.

Im pretty sure Brian Wilson is playing the abbey glasto gig later on in the summer , can't see him doing both unfortunately :(

9 minutes ago, ChristoGlasto said:

Could if be beach boys of Brian Wilson? I seem to remember rumours ages ago about one of them playing but nothing recently.

Ooh, that would be great. Brian Wilson was an absolute highlight in 2005 IMO, especially given the way that the treacherous weather seemed to part for glorious sunshine for his set.

Having said that, back then he seemed fairly out of it, so I wonder how he is these days...

42 minutes ago, micropizza said:

Pahahaha are you for real

1 minute ago, pjadnoo said:

Ooh, that would be great. Brian Wilson was an absolute highlight in 2005 IMO, especially given the way that the treacherous weather seemed to part for glorious sunshine for his set.

Having said that, back then he seemed fairly out of it, so I wonder how he is these days...

he's completely gone and its depressing as fuck