"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

Have re-read the quote from Emily and it seems clear (at least to me) that she is referring to The Other Stage opener slot.

"I haven't even hinted or told anyone it's coming and we've managed to keep it completely quiet for the first time ever."

Given that James self-confirmed themselves for the slot three months before the festival and Tim Burgess from The Charlatans dropped just about every hint possible before they played, this could explain why EE says the above.

This could of course be a bit of over-analysis and it might just refer to all 'secrets' not being kept totally confidential [and I don't remember Beady Eye or Kaiser Chiefs being widely suspected until the eve of the festival] but hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so thought it worth raising.

Edited by Huckleberry Finn

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Have re-read the quote from Emily and it seems clear (at least to me) that she is referring to The Other Stage opener slot.

"I haven't even hinted or told anyone it's coming and we've managed to keep it completely quiet for the first time ever."

Given that James self-confirmed themselves for the slot three months before the festival and Tim Burgess from The Charlatans dropped just about every hint possible before they played, this could explain why EE says the above.

This could of course be a bit of over-analysis and it might just refer to all 'secrets' not being kept totally confidential [and I don't remember Beady Eye or Kaiser Chiefs being widely suspected until the eve of the festival] but hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere else, so thought it worth raising.

Nah mate, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's a Led Zeppelin-Stone Roses-Daft Punk super group playing on Thursday night at Arcadia. Gonna be great. 

This thread is getting like the secret resales one. You go away for a couple of hours and 6 more pages have appeared, now just checking the last page to see if anything has happened.

In other news, Robert Plant on here is like Prince used to be on the headliner threads, every 6 or seven posts someone else mentions him and/or Led Zep like it's not been considered before.

Bloody marvellous! :D

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Could the same quote be seen as directed to the Sunday Legends Slot?  That one's not been officially given to Bazza Gibb, I think.  It's just assumed to be him. 

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Also the use of the word "it"....like it must refer to a specific slot that they have every year...?

So "it" = legends slot or other opener, given the pyramid opener is confirmed as Hacienda classical. 

Elton John could probably do either.

If we've ruled out a Thursday headliner and the top 5/6 acts being moved etc, and assuming it is another act, it would have to be someone who is almost big enough to headline, or to be called "big" by EE, but has such a huge reputation & acclaimed history, but would also be very happy not headlining if they were a bit private or reclusive in their later years. So I suggest Kate Bush. Legends or Park headline for the anniversary. 

2 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

Could the same quote be seen as directed to the Sunday Legends Slot?  That one's not been officially given to Bazza Gibb, I think.  It's just assumed to be him. 

2 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

So "it" = legends slot or other opener, given the pyramid opener is confirmed as Hacienda classical. 

Elton John could probably do either.

Personally, I think people are trying to rope the legends slot into the speculation because the idea of Barry Gibb, particularly after his guest appearance alongside Coldplay, isn't overly exciting. Though maybe the festival not formally announcing him for the slot is creating some uncertainty. But I can't deny the slot is fixed as Emily indicates.

But the difference is have Glastonbury ever tried to keep the slot a secret? Emily suggests they have previous tried to keep whatever they have up their sleeve, silent.

Park anniversary isn't it? Big surprises already been mentioned for there so prob an act or two there of middling to large size?

or daft punk with the jacksons feat michael Jackson hologram in the tiny tea tent Wednesday lunch time.

Just now, Huckleberry Finn said:

Personally, I think people are trying to rope the legends slot into the speculation because the idea of Barry Gibb, particularly after his guest appearance alongside Coldplay, isn't overly exciting. Though maybe the festival not formally announcing him for the slot is creating some uncertainty. But I can't deny the slot is fixed as Emily indicates.

But the difference is have Glastonbury ever tried to keep the slot a secret? Emily suggests they have previous tried to keep whatever they have up their sleeve, silent.

Yeah if your theory is correct then the Legend Slot doesn't come in to it as they've always made big announcements about that. Only thing they've regularly tried to keep hushed in recent years has been the Other opener, so I'd go with that. Still saying Elbow.

2 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Park anniversary isn't it? Big surprises already been mentioned for there so prob an act or two there of middling to large size?

or daft punk with the jacksons feat michael Jackson hologram in the tiny tea tent Wednesday lunch time.

Good point. The Park started out as Emily's own little project so I'm sure she's keen to put on a big show for its birthday party. Maybe the big surprise will headline there up against the biggest expected crowd of the weekend. Sunday perhaps?

36 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

If one thread could sum this forum up, this would be it. 

People torturing themselves by coming up with theories why their favourite band will be a surprise edition, mostly by meams of fantasy and setting themselves and everyone else up for a huge monumental depressive session of disappointment when Elbow are announced. 

25 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Also the use of the word "it"....like it must refer to a specific slot that they have every year...?

Or 'it' as in an inanimate thing, like a new area or feature.

There are changes going on in The Common, beyond the expansion of the Temple. Maybe Emily is just very excited about it and thinks it's big news?

6 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

Good point. The Park started out as Emily's own little project so I'm sure she's keen to put on a big show for its birthday party. Maybe the big surprise will headline there up against the biggest expected crowd of the weekend. Sunday perhaps?

Yeah I think some fairly big headliners for the park one prob on first poster other two are still under wraps and one is a big name (stadium seller) but up against Ed to spread the crowds.

6 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

MDC were having kittens after the Pulp and Radiohead sets in 2011. Unless they can close off the hill, there's zero chance of another big band on there. Then they'd only have to try to deal with the carnage of everyone trying to get into the bowl in front of the stage.