The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The workers are working! Plus it's starting to get a little cooler so more productive work can be done, I'm imagining many of the outdoor workers were having a siesta to avoid the worst of the sun and working late into the evening.

Siesta that would of been fab :) 

work is carrying on as usual guessing a lot slower tho.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last 3 days have been really brutal. Airless scorchers, and today is already shaping up to be more of the same.

heat exhaustion, sun stroke whatever is a real problem. Shower gives some relief but sweating again before even leaving shower block. Ground brick hard where last year was knee deep mud, tried to paste some photos in to show cracks in ground.

not quite as hard to walk around site as last year was, but still very unpleasant in its own way.

image.jpeg

Edited by fewcloudy

Ground is rock hard here on worthy farm. Bring a mallet. Searches are for everyone coming in apparently. Was quite a queue even for the crew coming in and even if you leave and return with a bag you must wait in the queue again to have it checked. Seen a few last night annoyed by being asked to rejoin a queue coming back in.

all in all it's great to see the site still being built but the heat is a little problem this year which is a massive difference to last year! Some cloud cover would be ideal which is forecast later in the week. If it does rain the ground can take it as long as it's not biblical 

1 hour ago, Larraht said:

Top Tip: shoes may help with walking when grounds conditions are poor. ;)

Indeed lol! Pic taken at about 7am when I was forced out of tent due to the heat.

it must over 27 degrees now, prob hotter. Or about 25 degrees higher than the norm back in Edinburgh, us Scots aren't biologically designed for this.

But when all's said and done, someone on these boards must've sacrificed their first born to get weather like this...

It was overly hot at 8am. Went out drinking till past 2am last night and didn't need a jumper even then so it's ridiculously hot.

If you're queuing tomorrow please, please prepare for extreme heat and very high UV from very early in the day.

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Ground is rock hard here on worthy farm. Bring a mallet. Searches are for everyone coming in apparently. Was quite a queue even for the crew coming in and even if you leave and return with a bag you must wait in the queue again to have it checked. Seen a few last night annoyed by being asked to rejoin a queue coming back in.

all in all it's great to see the site still being built but the heat is a little problem this year which is a massive difference to last year! Some cloud cover would be ideal which is forecast later in the week. If it does rain the ground can take it as long as it's not biblical 

Is that because they had any kind of bag - if you have just a shoulder bag is that OK?  Otherwise is it for everyone to rejoin the queue - in which case is there any point in having lanes for 'reentry' 

10 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

It was overly hot at 8am. Went out drinking till past 2am last night and didn't need a jumper even then so it's ridiculously hot.

If you're queuing tomorrow please, please prepare for extreme heat and very high UV from very early in the day.

anyone who doesnt is an utter fool.

I bet theres still people who dont bother to put cream on, wear a hat or get a drink though, always is....people like lemmings lol

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Is that because they had any kind of bag - if you have just a shoulder bag is that OK?  Otherwise is it for everyone to rejoin the queue - in which case is there any point in having lanes for 'reentry' 

I guess if you are going to search bags it is no good only searching those from new entrants.

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

Get a couple of spinners in the lineup, that pitch will start turning like mad come day 3. Definitely bat first if you win the toss.

I concur, bet me mum could bat on that with t' stick of celery, whilst wearing her pinny!! 

IMG_4884.JPG

Edited by geoffboycott

6 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I guess if you are going to search bags it is no good only searching those from new entrants.

Fully agree - just there's a difference between a light day bag, which almost everyone is likely to have but that could be quickly glanced at as part of a pat-down, verses a fresh entrant presumably carrying a lot more stuff, or a bulky tent at the very least.  So if a day bad is enough to warrant 'back of the queue', why have a reentry lane?  

I'd say this is pure speculation, but obviously moving beyond that as we start to get more feedback from increased staff coming and going - so worth asking these questions.

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Any kind of bag is being searched. It doesn't seem as bad today as they have toned down the searches 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Wa that supposed t'be Yorkshire tha wa speaking?

Yeah, v sorry about that, it's more of my West Country twang, attempting a Yorkshire accent, my apologies.  But it's true and about Boyc's Mum and her pinny...oh I just remembered I meant rhubarb.... I have to go edit.

Regarding the topic, it's absolutely sweltering down here, I'm about 10 miles or so from the site and it's proper backing, my back lawn is looking incredibly thirsty and cracks in the clay soil are appearing.

9 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

Yeah, v sorry about that, it's more of my West Country twang, attempting a Yorkshire accent, my apologies.  But it's true and about Boyc's Mum and her pinny...oh I just remembered I meant rhubarb.... I have to go edit.

Regarding the topic, it's absolutely sweltering down here, I'm about 10 miles or so from the site and it's proper backing, my back lawn is looking incredibly thirsty and cracks in the clay soil are appearing.

Literally cracking t'flags!

Need to rename this thread to: "State a t'ground"