The state of the ground.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2016 Didn't wear anything other than a good pair of leather walking boots that are tried and tested in Peak District bogs year round. Dry feet all weekend and I could have resorted to gaiters if needed.

You need a pretty pricey pair of wellies to match up to the ankle protection you'll get from boots in mud like last year. I reckon there'll have been a lot of sprains.

My mrs has just bought a pair of trainers off eBay. We haven't done a dry festy for 4  years so I admire her optimism 

42 minutes ago, Untz said:

You people with your 2015 love in.

2015 without the Friday piss downs is the minimum we should be aiming for. Sunday morning drizzle is acceptable.

Morning drizzle is a wonderful thing in my book (as long as it is followed by a day of sun)

2015 was the only year I have been, got soaked at Alabama Shakes and it got a bit muddy in the busy areas for a while following that, but was back to normal by the Saturday. And any flurry of rain after that did no damage and actually helped to get a bit more rest in the mornings.

I'd bite your hand off for that again.

Worst festival I've been to for mud was Oxegen 2010 - we were 18 and so unprepared. I remember being given an umbrella by a dublin bus driver upon retrieving my full wallet after leaving it on said bus  (the Irish are heroes), it was the first time we had looked at or been told what the weather was meant to be like for the weekend and from that moment on it did not stop raining.

1 hour ago, Flysheet said:

Saved washing any clothes

A few people had to bleach their eyeballs.

Can't speak for Somerset but the ground up here is in noticeably better nick than it was this time last year.  Based on that and nothing else I'm saying it will be perfect this year.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

A few people had to bleach their eyeballs.

Can't speak for Somerset but the ground up here is in noticeably better nick than it was this time last year.  Based on that and nothing else I'm saying it will be perfect this year.

I'm on the northern edge of the Peak District and it's almost possible to cross the moors without getting your feet wet. Footpaths are like concrete.

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

2011>2016>2007

Friday of 2011 was horrific but Thurs, Sat and Sun (especially thurs and Sun) were sound from what I rememeber. Sunday you could sit pretty much anywhere. No danger of that at anytime last year

Yep that seems to be the consensus. Have to admit I'm not sad to have missed 2007 or 2016...

And yeah 2011 was great for the rest of the time. Just that Friday was bloody cold and wet from start to finish. Wednesday too but it seemed more amusing at that point (we were in and pitched before it started!).

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Surely @sime would be a good, um, barometer of each year's weather, what with spending a certain amount of time au naturel. 

My barometer has a tendency to forecast short term changes in the weather only. However, it has occasionally been known, 24 hours in advance, to recognise frontal boundaries.

41 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

2011>2016>2007

Friday of 2011 was horrific but Thurs, Sat and Sun (especially thurs and Sun) were sound from what I rememeber. Sunday you could sit pretty much anywhere. No danger of that at anytime last year

Agree, as soon as it stopped and started drying.  It rained again.

2015 was good alright. I didn't need me wellies and i got sunstroke but that Friday downpour can do one. I'd still like to experience a 2010 even though I'm a ginger and it would probably kill me. Give me a grassy arse babeee. 

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They are incorrect.

Indeed.  Friday night was a mare, probably the worst evening I've experienced there when the music's on because it was so heavy and unremitting, but the days before we had a bit or rain in the morning and baking hot afternoons once the cloud burned off.  Site was a bit torn up Saturday morning but that was sorted and it was ass on grass by early afternoon.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The key thing is though that it didn't trash the site.  Made it a bit slippy that evening but by the Saturday lunchtime you could sit down again.

A bit slippy?  I was wearing a worn old pair of cons and made the mistake of heading back to Darble to change after the Libertines while a bit wasted, journey took me nearly 40 minutes as I slipped, slided and wobbled my way across the site.  John peel area was like a feckin' ice rink for me.

I'm into double figures for my Glastonbury visits now, last year was the worst I'd seen for ground conditions but no one seemed overly bothered or let it get them down from what I saw.  The fact that the rain we had was, in general, quite light really helped.  I seem to recall the only really heavier showers were Friday afternoon and apart from that it was drizzle on the whole.

2009 and 2013 got it right, if you are going to have some, get it out the way Thursday.

6 hours ago, mjsell said:

Morning drizzle is a wonderful thing in my book (as long as it is followed by a day of sun)

2015 was the only year I have been, got soaked at Alabama Shakes and it got a bit muddy in the busy areas for a while following that, but was back to normal by the Saturday. And any flurry of rain after that did no damage and actually helped to get a bit more rest in the mornings.

I'd bite your hand off for that again.

Worst festival I've been to for mud was Oxegen 2010 - we were 18 and so unprepared. I remember being given an umbrella by a dublin bus driver upon retrieving my full wallet after leaving it on said bus  (the Irish are heroes), it was the first time we had looked at or been told what the weather was meant to be like for the weekend and from that moment on it did not stop raining.

I had a similar lack of preparation at Oxegen 2006. Borrowed a 15 quid tent and went with only trainers. Fucking pissed it down all day Saturday and  when I got back to my tent it was flooded and all my things were soaking. Nightmare!!

Edited by Dave_c