First time in camper van and at Glastonbury

marknemo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, paulshane said:

I think one, or both, of those fields are 'family camping'

I've just been going in with my wife and you get offered family camping it seems as a matter of course. There is no discernable difference in noise levels etc between family and general camping.

Just now, ClementsMike said:

I've just been going in with my wife and you get offered family camping it seems as a matter of course. There is no discernable difference in noise levels etc between family and general camping.

yeah, I go on my own and get asked - i'm always too polite to say 'yes' though :)

19 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

They fill it backwards towards the gate, so last in has furthest to walk each day. This is countered by getting out quicker on the Monday morning.

Mainly, but not always. Last year although we joined the queue 15 minutes after the gates opened, we didn't get into the fields for many hours and ended up in E18. At that time there was no one in the closer E19 which is frustrating, it wasn't even opened until some time later. The conditions played a part, I presume with stuck vehicles they had to close off the nearer fields. Hopefully with the ground much better condition - probably - this time entry will be able to be better planned. 

6 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Family camping is specified on the CV ticket this year.

6 hours ago, lebenski said:

Do you need to get there on the Tuesday afternoon to stand any chance at E20 or E23?

I think they are designated family camping this year, so you'll need a Family Camping CV ticket. It was an option when you bought the CV ticket. If you do have a family camping ticket then yes, I would guess that Tuesday afternoon would give you the best chance of getting into one of those.

My first time in a campervan was last year and as we all know it didn't really all go to plan. This year we will be arriving on Tuesday but my other group of friends will be arriving Wednesday evening. Is there any chance a space can be reserved next to our van? Or can we ask to be located somewhere we can be close to each other?

Sorry to hijack the thread but i didn't want to create a new one for a probably stupid question. 

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

My first time in a campervan was last year and as we all know it didn't really all go to plan. This year we will be arriving on Tuesday but my other group of friends will be arriving Wednesday evening. Is there any chance a space can be reserved next to our van? Or can we ask to be located somewhere we can be close to each other?

Sorry to hijack the thread but i didn't want to create a new one for a probably stupid question. 

Sorry but you've got no chance.  It's first come first served and if you want to camp together, you need to arrive together.

I'm really showing my lack of knowledge here but this questions quite an important one so I want to make sure my understanding is correct.....

Is it ok to take alcohol into the festival? I.e., if I have a plastic bottle of vodka in my rucksack and it's checked I'm ok to take that in? Obviously if we can take vodka in we'll be buying more in advance to save money. I'm just aware that all all other festivals I've been to you have to buy your drinks in the festival! Sorry for yet another newbie question - just seeking clarity after confusion and uncertainty in our group!

thanks again!

2 minutes ago, marknemo said:

I'm really showing my lack of knowledge here but this questions quite an important one so I want to make sure my understanding is correct.....

Is it ok to take alcohol into the festival? I.e., if I have a plastic bottle of vodka in my rucksack and it's checked I'm ok to take that in? Obviously if we can take vodka in we'll be buying more in advance to save money. I'm just aware that all all other festivals I've been to you have to buy your drinks in the festival! Sorry for yet another newbie question - just seeking clarity after confusion and uncertainty in our group!

thanks again!

Absolutely no restrictions in taking alcohol into the festival.

10 minutes ago, marknemo said:

thanks again!

Yes you can take vodka in a plastic bottle in your rucksack / cans cider etc and drink at will- loads of vendors (and ice cream vans) sell coke/Diet Coke which I then decant some vodka/rum whatever is my drink of choice for the night and tip into the coke - I buy cold cider during the day.

i usually take a 300ml bottle of vodka (empty small water sport cap) out for the night in my handbag and just buy mixers as I need them - drink a bit out of the coke bottle and keep topping up with vodka

Edited by moheetoes

4 of you in a van will be cosy. Try and bring a pop-up/small tent to throw all your shiz in (boots, chairs, cool box etc) makes life a lot easier.

Try to get your mates to use power bank phone chargers, instead of using either of the vans batteries. The leisure battery can drain remarkably quick, which then leaves you without access to pumped water, toilet flush, lighting and possibly fridge.

Get a good lanyard/leash for the van keys thru a belt loop: dry land so lots of sitting on the grass = keys & phones slipping out of pockets.

And just to repeat - look after your ticket & pass out. Enjoy!!

tbh, I'd not worry about which field you end up in - it's not a massive walk, the only small hassle is the hill, which everyone has to climb - and that's rewarded with a fab view over the festival.

Get water late at night and have wellies for water fetching since around the taps is often muddy even on a dry weekend.

I've preferred sleeping in a tent next to the van than in the van - it rocks unless you stabilise it, it's more cramped. 

Me again.....

I've been reading through forum posts and I am a bit confused about access to the festival site from the east camper van field, I had assumed (probably wrongly) that access would be for those staying in the camper van field but reading around it sounds like all other Glastonbury goers use the same entrance? We are arriving late Tuesday, but will the queue to get in and out of the festival always be big because we are all using the same entrance? 

Is it that, once most people are in and camping that they then won't really use the entrance until the end of the festival to go home? So, Wed/Thurs the queues will be longer but after that much smaller?

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, marknemo said:

Me again.....

I've been reading through forum posts and I am a bit confused about access to the festival site from the east camper van field, I had assumed (probably wrongly) that access would be for those staying in the camper van field but reading around it sounds like all other Glastonbury goers use the same entrance? We are arriving late Tuesday, but will the queue to get in and out of the festival always be big because we are all using the same entrance? 

Is it that, once most people are in and camping that they then won't really use the entrance until the end of the festival to go home? So, Wed/Thurs the queues will be longer but after that much smaller?

Thanks again!

As above, no queue of any consequence during the festival, the only queue is Wednesday morning, which at Gate C was better than most other gates in recent years but got busier last year, but it isn't much of an issue as there is no rush to get in - to pitch a tent - so a leisurely morning and likely to be a reasonably small queue late morning.