Ear protection for adults at Glastonbury

bexj

From many years of clubbing and gig going there was many times I woke up with ringing in my ears but thought recently I better take better protection of my hearing so have used the foam type earplugs at recent load gigs.  But I found they were too muffled so have bought the pluggerz ones for me and my wife as we have them for the kids and thought they were good.

Will be testing them out next month when I'm next at some gigs and at WOMAD

I took a look at this a while ago and found an excellent site that did all the research and profiling of ear protection. And, can I find it now? Nope, lost in all the adverts for over-priced earplugs.

Suffice to say, foam ones - i.e. the ones handed out to people who have to work next to speakers are up there with the best and cost pence.

I did find this:
https://bloglocation.com/art/invisible-ear-plugs-concerts-clubs-loud-bars

Said the alpine ones look great but are a bit pants at noise reduction - worth reading the other posts on this site relating to noise reduction.

Ear protection requirement is a bit of a mixed bag at festivals. For those who drift midway to the back, don't get down front especially in the tented venues without high-flown line arrays and who take breaks between the music they might not be needed at all so it can seem pointless - but once you're pushing it all day then it's so worthwhile.

For the most protection the Flare Isolate plugs really are in a class of their own and completely block out direct sound. You get to hear everything through body transmission instead so it's very even and normal sounding, just a hell of a lot quieter. Bit much for normal listening, but great if you're raving it up somewhere bonkers or working in it though

Mid-level reduction is harder, they're almost all uneven and things sound wonky - didn't get on with any of the earpeace/similar options because of that. The ACS Pro17's are amazing though and knock everything back to somewhere decent, but a bit expensive if it wasn't a work thing

Generally had a better time doing without by moving back to somewhere I don't need them for most festival gigs then get right in it for one or two a day and your exposure needn't be silly, then used the Isolates if the raving takes me. Tough at proper gigs though - it's insane the level lots of engineers mix at and not actually all that pleasant to be in front of if you've not already burnt out your upper register