Potentially emotional moments

swede

It's almost guaranteed that Radiohead will set me off. A Moon Shaped Pool came out just after I broke up with my ex so I've really mixed emotions to it, anything off that has the capability of breaking me. Street Spirit (I've never seen them play it)/How to Disappear Completely/Exit Music - could get me too. 

Strong Possibilities
The National - anything really
Moderat - Ghostmother
Cinematic Orchestra - Lessons

Curveballs Possibilities
Phoenix - Armistice 
Anderson .Paak - Am I Wrong (Sheer joie de vivre feels with a Brothers in hand)
Can Project - Vitamin C/Thief (for the loss of Jaki)

This line up could be an emotional minefield depending on substances, fatigue and mood.

Hard to tell, I expected tears during Adele just because I knew I'd be drunk and emotional and her songs play into that. However, it was Chvrches that got me going! I was just the right level of drunk, I was so happy, their songs mean so much to me and I just cried some happy tears at the end of their set and left it on a complete high. Bliss :)

On 5/6/2017 at 7:50 AM, TheSheriff said:

Emmylou - First Aid Kit. Even when I listen to this at home I get a lump in my throat.

This will get me as well. My six-year-old daughter's favourite song by her favourite band (she has great taste!). Will no doubt be really missing her and her brother by then, so will be bound to set me off.

• Upvote 1

If the Manics are there and play You stole the sun from my heart i'll do well not to shed a tear. Even after nearly 20 years it still takes me right back to the breakup with my then wife. 

Last year's emotional moment for me was Portishead's video of their SOS cover for Jo Cox on the Pyramid before the Orchestra of Syrian Musicians

One of our crew is battling cancer, has been since last fallow.

It's looking very tough for her now.

Each year at Glastonbury she/we make the promise to all be here next year....with the fallow in between, we all know it's gonna be tough to get to 2019.

That promise moment is gonna be a bit emotional this time - hope this is the best one ever for her

• Upvote 10

On 2017-5-9 at 2:12 PM, popcornmaster said:

If I catch them (unlikely) I hope they play the proper version rather than the bastardised live version they've played the few times I've seen them. I genuinely think it's one of the greatest pop songs ever written and each time I've seen them they try their hardest to ruin it with a self-indulgent acoustic intro which sees the band only playing the last minute or so.

This, this a million times. I'll be be so disappointed as it's such an iconic song in its usual for format.

On 06/05/2017 at 5:27 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's not a song that will get me. I'm going to fight it hard, but there's going to be a few moments when being away from my wife is going to hit me like a ton of shit, and I may well cry. Apart from my brief spell in hospital a few years back, we have never spent a night apart since we first hooked up together. Nowadays we virtually don't spend any time apart at all. I know that I'm being a bit of a big girls blouse, but even though it's Glastonbury, I know there's going to be moments when I seriously question what I'm doing at the festival instead of being with my wife.

In connection with the above I'm kind of formulating an action plan. A few days before the festival I'm going to kind of meditate on why I'm going to Glastonbury, what's so good about it, that it will probably be my last Glastonbury so it needs to be enjoyed etc etc. On top of this I'm going to talk to my wife about those potential crying moments, to see what her advice is - which will probably be something along the lines of stop being such a cry baby bunting, grow up, and drop a few more e's you fucking daft prat.

I'm no doctor, but I doubt that'll help steady your emotional ship.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

I'm no doctor, but I doubt that'll help steady your emotional ship.

Hello SteveTLizard,

I know what you are saying, but actually, hearing my wife say something like that would actually steady me. As to whether I'd take her advice is another matter. I am going with my mates (one of whom is my wife's brother) and they will spring in to action if I have a melt down. All that said, I don't really intend on getting too mashed at Glastonbury this year. Famous last words!

Thanks for expressing some sound advice though. Appreciated. :)

8 hours ago, tjamest said:

If the Manics are there and play You stole the sun from my heart i'll do well not to shed a tear. Even after nearly 20 years it still takes me right back to the breakup with my then wife. 

Last year's emotional moment for me was Portishead's video of their SOS cover for Jo Cox on the Pyramid before the Orchestra of Syrian Musicians

That morning was the first time I had a good old sob at Glastonbury - Brexit, this tribute, syrian orchastra and Damo singing out of time...blubbed my way through all of it.

7 hours ago, Twisted Melon said:

By Sunday I'm so broken that anything can set me off

I've been there on far too many occasions, I even cried at Prodigy in 2009. 2007 was the worst in the Left Field Billy Bragg was talking about the Jail Guitar Doors campaign and prisoner rehabilitation and how Music could help, some ex prisoner comes on and sings the most beautiful song I had heard which he wrote..... I was a blubbering mess 

When I after getting all my gear sorted, tent up etc venture up to park hill to (hopefully) relax with a can in the sun and just look over the site, watching everyone arriving, watching the campsites grow and grow, watching the stages being put together, its one of those `wow im finally fucking here.....this is happening!` moments.........didnt happen last year due to the fucking shitty muddy mess park hill was but heres hoping for 2017!

Edited by waterfalls212434

that and last years moment for me was during the bootleg beatles set in the acoustic tent, they had a massive crowd, everyone was singing and dancing, our crowd were all pissed as a fart (may have had something to do with said getting emotional lol)  I looked next to us and these 2 little kids were just going nuts, dancing, loving it, really getting into it it just struck me as kind of beautiful moment  the little kids getting into the music even though they were born decades after it was even created and the atmosphere of the festival, truly what live music should be about you know? 

Found a video! loud crowd! :)

6 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

that and last years moment for me was during the bootleg beatles set in the acoustic tent, they had a massive crowd, everyone was singing and dancing, our crowd were all pissed as a fart (may have had something to do with said getting emotional lol)  I looked next to us and these 2 little kids were just going nuts, dancing, loving it, really getting into it it just struck me as kind of beautiful moment  the little kids getting into the music even though they were born decades after it was even created and the atmosphere of the festival, truly what live music should be about you know? 

Found a video! loud crowd! :)

Must try and see them this year, despite them being everywhere I've never seen them, always something else trumps them.

10 hours ago, Larraht said:

That morning was the first time I had a good old sob at Glastonbury - Brexit, this tribute, syrian orchastra and Damo singing out of time...blubbed my way through all of it.

Yeah i forgot Out of Time - that was definitely a moment as well

On 2017-5-6 at 7:23 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Not a tune....

One of my old clubbing friends who went to glastonbury 3 times passed away in January through cancer. She felt good in october, bought a ticket for the festival. I hadnt seen her for a couple of years, but we all planned to meet up. In january she sadly deteriorated quickly. Left behind a 4 year old boy.

Her close friends are still going, we are all meeting up & I expect tears to be shed when we raise a drink to her.

There is a funky house DJ on thursday night in the spaceport. Im going to suggest going there. If Red Carpet alight gets played & a mixed group of 10/12 are uncontrollably crying - that will be us.

This in itself just brought a tear to my eye, that she was due to be with you at Glastonbury. So sorry for your loss :( ...Red Carpet - Alright is one of the tunes I want played at my funeral and I was in tears the other week hearing it played by an orchestra the other week at Cream Classical. I'll probably be in the Spaceport on Thursday as well so if it gets played and you see someone else blubbing it will most probably be me..

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello SteveTLizard,

I know what you are saying, but actually, hearing my wife say something like that would actually steady me. As to whether I'd take her advice is another matter. I am going with my mates (one of whom is my wife's brother) and they will spring in to action if I have a melt down. All that said, I don't really intend on getting too mashed at Glastonbury this year. Famous last words!

Thanks for expressing some sound advice though. Appreciated. :)

Oh yes, I always have that sound advice ringing in my ears on the Wednesday, then blubbing my was through Sunday afternoon.  Dolly in 2014 nearly turned the pyramid field into a knee deep quagmire iirc.  

Lean on your mates for those wobbly moments, physical and mental, always works a treat for me. Have a great one,

• Upvote 2

Tuesday when I leave home.. Tuesday when I get there 

Wednesday morning until camp set up... Mostly OK rest of the day 

Thursday when I wake up....... Can get me at any time for any reason 

Fri when I wake up............. Same as above 

Sat if I wake up.................... Same as above 

Sunday morning always 

Monday morning can be hell as I try and reflect on the times I've messed or things I could have done if I wasn't so panicked out over the last few days and try to rationalise it all.... 

But this year I hope to normal and just enjoy.... I've even booked into a camp site for 2 nights so I can say fuck the real world for a bit longer lol

• Upvote 2

I don't suppose it's going to happen, but it could happen. What am I talking about? Well, it all boils down to being a male of the species, and accidentally, and at a very sensitive time in one's development, sitting on one of your own nuts. Oh, fuck me stupid. There is no exquisite pain that's comparable. Anyway, just to say, those sitting on one of your own nuts situations is an emotional moment. It's not just emotional either. It fucking hurts, man.

As the missus and I are coming for the west coast of Canada the whole trip is going to be pretty emotional. 

I've been 3 times before but as my lady is from Toronto she has never been to a festival like it before and glasto had been on her bucket list for years. The bit that will really get me is seeing her face as she sees everything for the first time!