The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic night at the O2. Some of the stuff from lost in a dream really sounds incredible live. Ocean between the waves is my favourite song of theirs and goes hard live (especially with the extended intro).

The only nit pick is I think the setlist is too front loaded. They played some of my favourite songs all in the first half, and I noticed a dip in energy towards the end. Occasional Rain / Thinking of Place / Lost In a dream while fantastic songs are not great closers.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

setlist (in case anyone was curious what I meant when I said it was front loaded).

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-war-on-drugs/2022/the-o2-arena-london-england-63b6eaf3.html

Eh, doesn’t look too front loaded to me. Granted, those two songs of their own in the encore are hardly ‘bangers’ but Thinking of a Place is still a great song and one of their better known ones, and I’m sure that cover ended things with a rager. Maybe Red Eye or Under the Pressure in the encore would be more up your alley in the soaring belter category?

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh, doesn’t look too front loaded to me. Granted, those two songs of their own in the encore are hardly ‘bangers’ but Thinking of a Place is still a great song and one of their better known ones, and I’m sure that cover ended things with a rager. Maybe Red Eye or Under the Pressure in the encore would be more up your alley in the soaring belter category?

Yeah under the pressure sounded really fucking good in that arena and I noticed everyone in the seating was up on their feet dancing.

Maube an encore of under the pressure, occasional rain, thinking of a place would be better.

Occasional Rain is a great track but I’m surprised it’s a tour closer for some sets. I love the track but it definitely wasn’t the most recognised song of the night. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah under the pressure sounded really fucking good in that arena and I noticed everyone in the seating was up on their feet dancing.

Maube an encore of under the pressure, occasional rain, thinking of a place would be better.

Occasional Rain is a great track but I’m surprised it’s a tour closer for some sets. I love the track but it definitely wasn’t the most recognised song of the night. 

Was their version of like a hurricane not rocking?

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Fantastic night at the O2. Some of the stuff from lost in a dream really sounds incredible live. Ocean between the waves is my favourite song of theirs and goes hard live (especially with the extended intro).

The only nit pick is I think the setlist is too front loaded. They played some of my favourite songs all in the first half, and I noticed a dip in energy towards the end. Occasional Rain / Thinking of Place / Lost In a dream while fantastic songs are not great closers.

I agree. I'd go even further and say it was front (or at least middle) loaded to the extent it was really strange. This combined with them playing for over 2 hours (and fears over queues for the tube, I guess*) meant that it was probably about half as full where I was as it was at the start. I really enjoyed it, but it felt weird to peak in the middle (Strangest Thing > Red Eyes > Living Proof was amazing) and then tail off rather than building to a climax.

*Didn't have to queue for the tube at all after it finished as so many had already left

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Was their version of like a hurricane not rocking?

I’m not a fan of covers tbh. Unless the band is known for performing the cover.

Idk man I’ve paid a ticket to see you. I wanna hear your music. 

5 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I agree. I'd go even further and say it was front (or at least middle) loaded to the extent it was really strange. This combined with them playing for over 2 hours (and fears over queues for the tube, I guess*) meant that it was probably about half as full where I was as it was at the start. I really enjoyed it, but it felt weird to peak in the middle (Strangest Thing > Red Eyes > Living Proof was amazing) and then tail off rather than building to a climax.

*Didn't have to queue for the tube at all after it finished as so many had already left

I left when they said their last song was a cover. Smooth journey back too.

It was definitely busy but reduced seating and plenty of elbow room in the crowd made me think the gig was slightly undersold. They are a solid live act and a good popular band but I think setlist and a lack of singalong bangers is holding them back from being any bigger than they currently are. 

set list was 9/10 last night, I do get the comment about it being front loaded a bit. I miss songs like Burning and and In Reverse in the live sets

they’ve actually been playing Neil Young’s like a hurricane for a while now and I really do like their spin on it.

the sound was 10/10, was where we were stood anyway which was fairly close to the front about 20 rows back. Phenomenal sound and the musicianship is mind blowing

@Matt42 where about we’re you situated pal?

33 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

@Matt42 where about we’re you situated pal?

I was sorta floating round the middle back of the standing. It was pretty easy to get a drink and get back to where you were. I’m quite tall so I don’t need to stand too close to the front to see the band. I’m *that guy*

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was sorta floating round the middle back of the standing. It was pretty easy to get a drink and get back to where you were. I’m quite tall so I don’t need to stand too close to the front to see the band. I’m *that guy*

Nice move man. We’re there big queues at the back bar during the set? Huge queues beforehand, o2 needs to sort it out

22 minutes ago, e9t3 said:

Wish I hadn't forgot my earphones for TWOD on Monday in Brum, was loud as fuck. Enjoyed the show though

For future reference mate venues have to legally be able to provide ear plugs when there's gigs on, so just ask at the bar if you forget again 😃

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

Nice move man. We’re there big queues at the back bar during the set? Huge queues beforehand, o2 needs to sort it out

Actually horrendous. The bar queues were completely stationary at points.

Lots of people getting to the front of the queue and (a) taking forever to decide what they wanted or (b) just having a chat with the bar person.

47 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

Couldn't believe those queues. Just walk upstairs (if you're anywhere near the front, it's closer anyway) and get served in a fraction of the time. Do people think they're not allowed up there? 

6 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Couldn't believe those queues. Just walk upstairs (if you're anywhere near the front, it's closer anyway) and get served in a fraction of the time. Do people think they're not allowed up there? 

You can walk upstairs? Ffs it was my first sober gig in ages cos of the queues. Had never been to the O2 before.