The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

I’m absolutely loving this album 

went through it three times with a few drinks last night max volume , then blasted live drugs for good measure 

it’s exactly what I needed from a new WOD album.

does that mad cool date they have committed to early July mean we are confident for Glasto?

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a shame this album is going to chart bad because of Sheeran.

Sheeran album really is crap isn't it, don't get me wrong a couple of listenable tracks but mainly shite, and I actually generally like him. However, TWOD album is ace, better with every listen. 

6 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Sheeran album really is crap isn't it, don't get me wrong a couple of listenable tracks but mainly shite, and I actually generally like him. However, TWOD album is ace, better with every listen. 

There is no such thing as justice in this world. TWOD should be getting the limelight this week but it will all go to Ed.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I like it.....but I am starting to dial back on it a wee bit.  Put Blue Banisters on today instead.

I think it’s a good album but not the incredible one that some on here are making it out to be. A lot of it is much of a muchness and there are few highs or lows or real distinguishable moments (that I’ve picked up on so far, anyway). The title track remains my favourite song on there; catchy as fuck that one. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think it’s a good album but not the incredible one that some on here are making it out to be. A lot of it is much of a muchness and there are few highs or lows or real distinguishable moments (that I’ve picked up on so far, anyway). The title track remains my favourite song on there; catchy as fuck that one. 

I agree with this. I think it's a much more consistent album than A Deeper Understanding, which was a bit front loaded and contained two or three songs that weren't quite as good as the rest of the album, but overall I'm not sure it's any better than it. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, the last few albums have been a really high standard so I'm delighted with another one around that level. I'm only four or five listens in so it's early days but there aren't too many songs jumping out to me as being particularly great or poor on the new album, just a collection of really good songs. The title track is probably my favourite so far too, between that and Harmonia's Dream.

It didn't have an immediate impact on me on Friday and I was a bit gutted about that because each of the last two blew me away on first listen. I have to say though, it's clicking with me now. I think the songs are gonna really go off live, proper built for arenas. 

Edited by dentalplan

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Its been nagging at me for a while.... ....... but Mark Radcliffe has just pointed out the title track's similarity to Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes. 

And yup, nailed it.

Yeah I got that from the first listen. Doesn’t detract from the song, but continues to pop in to my head with every listen.