The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would strongly strongly pushback on this statement but I feel like it would open a pretty big debate.

The National, Beck, and Tame Impala had a pretty solid track record of playing massive slots at various festivals across the world way before they subbed. I don’t know where this feeling comes from that TWOD on drugs are that big? For starters they’ve never had a hit the size of VW or Beck?

I'd say we haven't really had the chance to see them booked off the back of the success of A Deeper Understanding, especially in the UK. They only played festivals in 2018 but even then they headlined Lowlands and Pukkelpop alongside big slots at Primavera, All Points East, Coachella etc. They finished their 2018 tour with a date at the O2 and they're playing even bigger venues elsewhere in the UK next year compared to the previous tour too. 

They're the sort of band the festival have previously booked to sub. I don't think anyone thinks they're a particularly big sub, if pushed I'd say they'd be the smallest out of the ones I mentioned at the time of subbing, maybe Tame Impala aside, but I think the new album will do well and they'll continue to grow in popularity somewhat. Going by the venues they're playing, I'd say their management and booking agency are expecting that too. 

17 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Weak dadrocking imho.  Should have named the kid Clarence Big Man Clemons.

Just named my new dog that. Well, just Clarence. Top dogdadrocking.

WOD wont be anywhere near a headline slot or top of the Pyramid. Most people would be "who?". Great live band though. Nailed it last time they played. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Just named my new dog that. Well, just Clarence. Top dogdadrocking.

WOD wont be anywhere near a headline slot or top of the Pyramid. Most people would be "who?". Great live band though. Nailed it last time they played. 

That’s not a barrier. People say that about most non-headline acts. Sometimes headline acts - I had to explain what Muse was to someone once.

“I went to see the war on drugs at Glastonbury” would be a terrible moment though. What a shite band name.

30 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

These guys ain’t subbing the Pyramid let’s be real.

Despite the big venues none of them seem to be anywhere near selling out, I’d wager Idles have sold way more tickets (admittedly for several nights in smaller venues) and no one is touting them as a sub.

Maybe. But the fact is that they’re playing those venues.

Nobody is saying they’re an ironclad sub option - just that they’re in the same category as some other acts who got surprising subheadline nods despite not being mainstream smashes.

2 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

He was born into it. From what I understand he was never a close follower of it and now doesn't consider himself a scientologists at all

I will now remove him from my list of people who "are pretty cool but..."

Elizabeth Moss still hurts 😄 

• 4 weeks later...