The War on Drugs

kingcrawler

Just now, Harry49 said:

2 x Standing in Leeds. Very happy with that. not been back since Springsteen and it’s a great venue.🙂

Good to hear positive reviews of the venue - I’ve got TWOD tickets for Leeds too, but have never been myself. Usually never have to venture outside of Manchester for live shows, but I’m excited for the trip for it. 

5 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I know this is mostly folks from the UK, but is the general consensus that The War on Drugs are big enough to sell out Madison Square Garden? I was kind of shocked to see a venue that big booked for them.

They do seem to be getting big venues - albeit one date at these venues rather than a string.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I wouldn’t say guff… just more of an album intro than a song that should’ve been released as a standalone thing. Hopefully whatever comes next will be the real deal banger that we were all hoping for. 

It just doesn't do anything for me. Goes nowhere 

28 minutes ago, Homer said:

Slightly off topic but I was driving yesterday (get me) and Sam Fender's new single came on. The wife immediately said 'this is just a War on Drugs rip-off'. I can see her point:

That’s his whole vibe isn’t it; slightly watered down heartland rock?

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The main issue with Sam Fender is that he sometimes does songs that aren’t Bruce/Drugs ripoffs.

I feel like I'm being looked down on here for not having listened to enough Sam Fender. Come on people, I know these are strange times, but this place used to have standards!

On 7/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, TownesMR said:

I know this is mostly folks from the UK, but is the general consensus that The War on Drugs are big enough to sell out Madison Square Garden? I was kind of shocked to see a venue that big booked for them.

Looking at the map on Ticketmaster, it is a long way off selling out - I know tickets have only been on sale a few days and American shows seem to take longer to sell out, but the top tier and a large part of the lower tier are hardly touched yet. 

MSG is much bigger than all the other venues they are playing on that tour* (albeit they are doubling up in a lot of places).  It's partly a prestige thing I guess, so they have the kudos of having headlined MSG, and the outside world never knows it was only half full.  Alt-J did much the same a few years back. 

*the North American leg I mean. 

Edited by WFD

• 1 month later...

That's great.

But depressing that the vinyl (a double) seems to be going for £40 at most places. This seems to be a trend with big rock releases. I still haven't got the most recent Pearl Jam because it is always over £30. The new Maiden is going for about £50 - it's a triple, but still I think i'd go for £30 for that, and at 82 minutes it could fit comfortably on two discs. What a swizz!