Fyre festival

maelzoid

43 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

also what happened to Ja Rule, unless I missed something he got away with it 

He has come out and said that he was scammed as well and has lost money. He is now partnering another artist booking platform

I am sure he said he was still a complete Tit though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Kendall Jenner got paid a quarter of a million for an instagram post. You think her marketing skills would be good enough to give that money to the ripped-off locals.

That was my first thought as well. You'd think the influencers who made money from it would have put their hands in their pockets and helped those out who got truly ripped off. 

On the plus side hopefully it will make influencers a little more cautious about what they put their name to in future. 

I'd like to think both. I had no sympathy for the punters because that was a shit lineup for a festival and if you wanted to go just because you saw a few supermodels on a beach then more fool you. I've seen Kate Moss in wellies at Glastonbury but I don't expect to see her if I go. 

I do think though if you take money to advertise a product then you are putting a bit of your reputation into saying it works or it will be good etc and this has revealed that people don't do any due diligence they just take the money and tweet or instagram. If these people now see that they do have some kind of responsibility maybe we'll see less rubbish being advertised by them. 

36 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Kendall Jenner got paid a quarter of a million for an instagram post. You think her marketing skills would be good enough to give that money to the ripped-off locals.

I think you're underestimating how awful these people are. This is Kendall Jenners mum. 

Kris-Jenner-bag-2.jpg

14 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I'd like to think both. I had no sympathy for the punters because that was a shit lineup for a festival and if you wanted to go just because you saw a few supermodels on a beach then more fool you. I've seen Kate Moss in wellies at Glastonbury but I don't expect to see her if I go. 

I do think though if you take money to advertise a product then you are putting a bit of your reputation into saying it works or it will be good etc and this has revealed that people don't do any due diligence they just take the money and tweet or instagram. If these people now see that they do have some kind of responsibility maybe we'll see less rubbish being advertised by them. 

I agree to an extent... I think the idea of influencers in general is just a horrible new level of fucked up in society... but honestly how were these people supposed to do their due diligence? They got paid, so obviously the people had money. Nothing like this has ever happened and the festival was being planned. Theres not much they could do honestly. 

If someone said hey... I'll pay you 500 thousand dollars to come party in the Bahamas for a promo for a festival that's being planned, we dont have a lineup yet but its gunna be huge. I can't see anyone saying no tbh. 

One thing has changed since Fyre... influencers now HAVE to say when something is a paid ad. 

But I think it's more so on us (the proverbial us) to be aware of what we use our money for. And honestly by us I mean them. Them rich kids willing to pay out their ass just to look cool on the 'gram. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it's not 'the influencers' who are the problem, it's the sheep that follow them.

Yep, I agree. Take a look at the promo itself. Vacuous but very attractive people running around the beach and lying on yachts in the sunshine. For what was supposedly a music festival I didn't see any mention of any actual music. If that promo alone resulted in you parting with your money I'd say you probably had more money than sense in the first place and your motivation to attend was based purely based on chasing an aesthetically pleasing, often unrealistic lifestyle.

The whole situation is an indication of what motivates a certain type of consumer and supplier in particular markets today. The biggest disgrace about it is that the organiser's greed and consumer's need for an instagrammable lifestyle as opposed to a physical experience came at a price for several apparently decent, hard-working people. 

Hopefully some lessons learned for everyone. But I doubt it.