Fyre festival

maelzoid

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

if folk want to spend thousands on a festival in the Caribbean, that's their call.  it's never good to see people scammed out of their money.  some of the sneering in this thread is uncalled for.

Wait until you see what has been said on twitter/reddit. This is tame in comparison.

Edited by aidenlangan95

21 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

if folk want to spend thousands on a festival in the Caribbean, that's their call.  it's never good to see people scammed out of their money.  some of the sneering in this thread is uncalled for.

Quite! Its a remote fucking carribean island so in the grand scheme prices not that bad although line up was shit. 

There are plenty more expensive fucking options on the farm without the surety of weather and incredible beaches. 

Not my cup of tea but ye know so many different festivals to choose from for your needs. We just choose the best one with the worst weather. They chose weather and shit festival. Hey ho

30 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/fyre-festival-instagram-bahamas-ja-rule-models

Jokingly they all kept shouting, “It’s going to be a disaster!” over the top of each other. At this point it was over rumours that the tents had no charging points.

“If we can’t Instagram it, what’s the point?” one girl told me straight-faced.

Blink 182, much to everyone’s surprise - maybe more that the band were still going - had pulled out. A frat boy named Adrian dressed in bold Hawaiian print with matching palm tree socks, and a personal trainer called Alec, told me they’d spent $8,000 just for a VIP table to see them. They were devastated.

A social media influencer was disgusted. She said the festival hadn’t paid for anything or kept them up-to-date. She also said it looked more tacky than it was sold to her - more of a spring break crowd than a luxe getaway with the elite. She was planning on now sailing to Cuba for the weekend.

I feel bad for people who had their stuff stolen. And certainly the talk of people coming to physical harm is not good.

But this is also a parable, a cautionary tale for the Instagram addicts, those who are lured in by something which is almost exclusively about style and very little substance - which would have been the case even if things had turned out a bit more as planned. Hopefully it will make people more wary before signing up to something which surely must have seemed a bit shady from the start. 

And I'm sure those going will be absolutely fine in the end. It's just a lesson learned. Fair enough if you can't find any humour in this, but personally I can't help but indulge in a little schadenfreude:P

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I tend to agree.  We're definitely at - or past - a point where yer consumer rights are worth less than jackshit.

Basically, if folk feel comfortable doing this to the wealthy and influential then don't be surprised if they come for the poor with the gloves off.

Yeah I sorta went into it finding the incompetence funny, cos obviously the people posting the pictures of the concierge desk or the cheese sandwich are like "look at this shit!", but the deeper I looked the more it was people suggesting that everyone there deserved to be ripped off because Kardashians and Instagram and millennials, whatever. Seemed kinda like newspaper comments sections whenever something about Glastonbury is in the news, especially the mudbaths.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

They're hardly likely to be reading this forum, so if people don't feel sorry for them, why fake it? Who are people harming by' sneering'/ joking?  Going to a carribean island and being scammed when you're rich anyways (so won't miss the money)  is hardly hardship - beats what I'm up to this weekend!

There's a lot of suffering in the world, this ain't it. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I tend to agree.  We're definitely at - or past - a point where yer consumer rights are worth less than jackshit.

Basically, if folk feel comfortable doing this to the wealthy and influential then don't be surprised if they come for the poor with the gloves off.

They already do and have been for a long long time, unfortunately 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They're hardly likely to be reading this forum, so if people don't feel sorry for them, why fake it? Who are people harming by' sneering'/ joking?  Going to a carribean island and being scammed when you're rich anyways (so won't miss the money)  is hardly hardship - beats what I'm up to this weekend!

There's a lot of suffering in the world, this ain't it. 

you do realise that most people going to this probably aren't actually rich, yeah?

most seem like normal people combining a holiday and a festival, like the person in the article earlier who, along with 7 other friends, paid $400 each for flights, accom and a ticket it.

maybe look past the headlines and "upto $12,000 a ticket" soundbites....

it's a bit like Coachella, tens of thousands of music fans there to see acts on multiple stages , but a few headlines about VIP areas and a few celebs being there and the sneering begins about what a horrible place it is and how everyone deserves to have a horrible time.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

you do realise that most people going to this probably aren't actually rich, yeah?

most seem like normal people combining a holiday and a festival, like the person in the article earlier who, along with 7 other friends, paid $400 each for flights, accom and a ticket it.

it's a bit like Coachella, tens of thousands of music fans there to see acts on multiple stages , but a few headlines about VIP areas and a few celebs being there and the sneering begins about what a horrible place it is and how everyone deserves to have a horrible time.

They were rich. Look, I work with homeless people, my heart does not go out to these rich kids who were not pampered as they anticipated. Those tents that they said were awful and beneath them are better than most homeless people have to make do with. The food they had to endure is essentially my daily breakfast. It's not suffering in the slightest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think this proves once and for all that Americans can't do festivals correctly right?

If this involved British people we'd have swum to the nearest bar and would be getting destroyed on rum and would've forgotten all about the festival in the first place.

The Aussies would've somehow ended up in Belize

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Yeah that's little over what we pay for a ticket and parking, so maybe we're fair to game to turn up in June and just see loads of fields with no stages or bars and someone can just walk up and steal our stuff cos we're all that rich. :lol:

I don't even get why the Kardashians, Kanye, Bieber, Instagram, selfies, YouTubers, whatever the fuck else can lead to so much bile and often just straight up bring out sociopaths in so many people regarding stuff like this. It's not even an old timey thing about values, it's pop culture changing as it always has, and now more than ever you can tune out from it and create your own bubble so yeah, I don't get the hangups.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

They were rich. Look, I work with homeless people, my heart does not go out to these rich kids who were not pampered as they anticipated. Those tents that they said were awful and beneath them are better than most homeless people have to make do with. The food they had to endure is essentially my daily breakfast. It's not suffering in the slightest. 

You have cheese squares for breakfast?!

3 hours ago, fowls said:

You have cheese squares for breakfast?!

Ha, I don't actually like cheese - I have a bread and butter 'sandwich' with a packet of those bevita biscuit things and a can of irn bru- the breakfast of champions! 

9 hours ago, verrymerry said:

It's just a complete disaster, and rich or not I do feel sorry for them.  They've paid good money for something they haven't got, we'd all be disappointed if we were in that position. 

Some people will feel sorry for them, some won't. If you don't, it doesn't make you a modern day monster and if you do it doesn't make you a Saint (not that I'm saying you were making such proclamations!).

I think sometimes there's a thing on these boards and around glastonbury that you can only be all smiling and 'positive' all the time, and anything else is 'bad', and for me that can get a bit tedious and disingenuous - I prefer it when people are just real. Sarcasm, sneering, annoyance, anxiety, despair, grumpiness, sarcasm,  etc they add variety and much need humour, I think. 

• Upvote 1