The Verve 2008

Ohinever

Didn't start going to Glastonbury until 2010 but did see him during torrential rain at V 2008 which was amazing, plus had KOL subbing before that song which was a great night

with the waterfall coming off stage they did finish 30 mins early but did get to the front barrier :)

If History (the song, not the concept) is written about his missus running off with some other fella, then that makes Ashcroft legging it with J Spaceman's missus in 1996/97ish even bloody worse! 

Though we did get 'ladies and gentlemen . . . ' out of it, and that's one of the greatest albums ever made, so in summary: Spiritualized are ace, and the Verve are/were pretty dull. I saw the last 20 odd minutes of this 08 set after Manu Chao on WH and I've got to be honest here, it was a bit crap. I've never really liked the Verve much though. That Love is noise song sounds like the bloody teletubbies :lol:

7 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Just listening the the gnarly as fuke version of 'Gravity Grave' from the NME stage in 1993. A belter.

This is the (not The) Verve I loved. 

Saw them at the Marquee in 93. Stunning stuff. 

Take that first album and closing triumvirate of songs from A Northern Soul and it's right up my alley. 

Theres a documentary knocking about somewhere from the mid 90s when they were in the States but I'm buggered if I can find it. 

Our group were knackered but The Verve kept us going . My mate who had been at it all weekend was supposed to leave early as he had a work meeting 9.00 am Monday in Manchester .  He left after the set and reckoned he fell asleep 10 times on the drive back .  My mate who was the passenger and can't drive and normally gets his head down on road trips stayed awake all the journey and kept shaking him awake.

And yes finishing with Love is Noise was was amazing! 

Edited by ivan

Our group were knackered but The Verve kept us going . My mate who had been at all weekend was supposed to leave early as he had a work meeting 9.00 am Monday in Manchester .  He jleft after the set and reckoned he fell asleep 10 times on the drive back .  My mate who was the passenger and can't drive and normally gets his head down on road trips stayed awake all the journey and kept shaking him awake.

And yes finishing with Love is Noise was was amazing! 

On Mon Apr 24 2017 at 0:26 PM, Smeble said:

I've always thought of Richard Ashcroft as being a bit of a twat, the above picture doesn't help, what the fuck is he wearing?, however despite not being much of a verve fan I thought he was bloody fantastic at IOW last year, really properly good.

still think he is a bit of a twat though. 

I don't know, I changed my opinion of him when he addressed his dad in the middle of the set and said something about maybe now he would realised why they had been asked to headline (his dad's response to being told the news they were headlining was something like "why you?!"), anyone who grew up with critical/ perpetually unimpressed parents could empathise! :lol:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2017 at 10:27 AM, Wooderson said:

McCabe really was the MVP that night. What a superb musician. Sad that he's so skint.

he truly is. huge noticeable drop-off when he quit in middle of '98 tour on versions of some live songs - Lucky Man in particular - where the 4-piece just couldn't replicate it. I was on such a high on the sound of some of the gigs from bootlegs of 97-98 and then disappointed at a Boston gig late summer '98 where the intricate sounds I had gotten used to on my headphones just didn't come through at all w/o him.

caught The Shining (w/ the 2 Simons) on some early morning Other gig in 2002.

• 3 years later...

Bimbled up towards the end of this set. Great bit of timing. That run of three blinding singles from UH was perfect for someone who didn't (and still doesn't) really know their stuff. Sung my heart out I did (sorry if you were near to me). I remember Love Is Noise feeling almost trippy.