The Verve 2008

Ohinever

Think this performance deserves its own thread.

An absolutely unexpected bona fide tub thumping, senses rattling smorgasbord of guitar rock fronted by a master at work.

I went sort of by accident as a stall to the left of the pyramid,  "Siesta",  was asking for someone to stand on a step ladder and round up business for some free stuff. I did it (and massively enjoyed it) but by the time I'd finished the headliners were about to start. One of the girls from Siesta gave me a kiss (fondly remembered) and said " why don't you go see The Verve?". So I did. 

An astonishing performance that deserves to be known as a Glastonbury classic. 

I know there are other acolytes on here...

Edited by Ohinever

I've always thought of Richard Ashcroft as being a bit of a twat, the above picture doesn't help, what the fuck is he wearing?, however despite not being much of a verve fan I thought he was bloody fantastic at IOW last year, really properly good.

still think he is a bit of a twat though. 

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I've always thought of Richard Ashcroft as being a bit of a twat, the above picture doesn't help, what the fuck is he wearing?, however despite not being much of a verve fan I thought he was bloody fantastic at IOW last year, really properly good.

still think he is a bit of a twat though. 

didnt he shag his best mates wife/girlfriend or something?

That's a bit rum.

Edited by russycarps

It was my first ever Glastonbury that year. I was a big Verve fan as Urban Hymns was the first album i ever bought at the age of 11 yet i never thought id get the opportunity to see them once they had broken up. Was buzzing all weekend for that set and it sure as hell didnt disappoint when it finally happened. Gigs that it seems you've been waiting all your music loving life for are bloody special when they finally happen! I must have sang along to that whole set word for word ^_^

Edited by Familiar2billions

5 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

It was my first ever Glastonbury that year. I was a big Verve fan as Urban Hymns was the first album i ever bought at the age of 11 yet i never thought id get the opportunity to see them once they had broken up. Was buzzing all weekend for that set and it sure as hell didnt disappoint when it finally happened. Gigs that it seems you've been waiting all your music loving life for are bloody special when they finally happen! I must have sang along to that whole set word for word ^_^

The Verve at Glastonbury was astonishing!, I wouldn't say nothing I've seen on there was as good but there has rarely been better for me.

Any more info the Richard Ashcroft rumour.... fuck me that would make my festival!! would'nt care who else was on. 

EDIT: Aaaaahhh fuck a duck just seen he is playing in Russia on the Saturday.... is it still possible?? :/ 

Edited by Havors

Bit of a life changing set for me. Was my second Glastonbury and we were just in front of the barrier at the front of the Pyramid. The only way I can describe it is like seeing God. His stage presence, stood there in his sunnies was immense. Then his speech before the strings of Bittersweet Symphony kicked in.

I would love for him to play at Glasto this year. His new solo stuff is great :)

5 minutes ago, iamstreety said:

Bit of a life changing set for me. Was my second Glastonbury and we were just in front of the barrier at the front of the Pyramid. The only way I can describe it is like seeing God. His stage presence, stood there in his sunnies was immense. Then his speech before the strings of Bittersweet Symphony kicked in.

I would love for him to play at Glasto this year. His new solo stuff is great :)

Yep, what a contrast to the utter garbage I endured at that stage the previous night. 

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

Any more info the Richard Ashcroft rumour.... fuck me that would make my festival!! would'nt care who else was on. 

EDIT: Aaaaahhh fuck a duck just seen he is playing in Russia on the Saturday.... is it still possible?? :/ 

Yes but not sure if that makes him more likely for Friday or Sunday......but London direct is 3.5hrs....Bristol would be 5.5hrs minimum and if taking private jet then I'd imagine he'll do more there as he's back for the 30th.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Yes but not sure if that makes him more likely for Friday or Sunday......but London direct is 3.5hrs....Bristol would be 5.5hrs minimum and if taking private jet then I'd imagine he'll do more there as he's back for the 30th.

I will cling on to any tiny bit of hope! Would totally make my year never mind festival. Urban Hymns is up there as one of the best albums ever in my opinion.  

Got no real interest in seeing Ashcroft live, but I’ll argue the toss with anyone about the merits of The Verve as a live act with McCabe in the lineup.I saw them three times when they were back together and were immense. The Empress Ballroom gig was pretty much one of the best gigs I’ve ever been too. Tight as a knats chuff and blew the roof off.

12 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

so basically he's Friday early afternoon on Other, or nothing...

No because he might want to make sure he's okay etc for the paid gig but now you mention it, this scream a little bit of opening Other Friday morning which would mean leaving by Friday evening for a gig in Russia the next day and have plenty of time for it or even the 2nd slot which Blondie did.

That role would also make sense considering he's announced that Brixton gig to sell as well along with the Manchester one. So him early Other, Manics mid/slightly higher Other/JP headliner and Elbow Park headliner on Sunday.

28 minutes ago, Lillybef said:

To finish the set and close the festival on a song (Love Is Noise)  that wasn't even well known, in fact I don't think it had even been released properly was something else. That showed some balls. Get goosebumps everytime watching it

Love is noise is an absolute belter of a tune.

28 minutes ago, Lillybef said:

To finish the set and close the festival on a song (Love Is Noise)  that wasn't even well known, in fact I don't think it had even been released properly was something else. That showed some balls. Get goosebumps everytime watching it

It was a totally new tune - not sure if any other artist has been confident enough to finish their set on an unknown. It went off - absolutely amazing performance. It was like a full on rave..

One of my favourite gigs of all time.