Going solo

FloorFiller

So since the main ticket sale the few people I was going with have decided for one reason or another that they no longer want to/can go this year, which is annoying. But I still very much want to go, and ticket success on Sunday pending, intend to go. So, advice on going solo? People who've done it before: was it worth it? Tips etc? I know there's this whole 'Camp Solo' thing going on here but as somebody who is very insular and initially shy in person that sounds like my idea of hell. Freaking out at the idea of doing it alone really, but freaking out even moreso at the idea of not being there at all. I really need to get some better friends.

(I know there have probably been a few of these already, but fuck you, I want my own).

Cant see you being short of offers to camp with people. 

I went to my first Glastonbury alone and we did the ralph camp. Best decision ever. You know you'll be fine. Gis a shout if you fancy a pint and see you at the efests meet. :)

I went on my own my first year, and like you don't easily strike up conversations with strangers. Had a couple of wtf have I done moments - but then was my first one too. I felt much better when the Friday came and had plans for where I wanted to be. Did miss being able to point stuff out and banter with mates, and felt a little self conscious dancing on my own but I did get over that. As you've been before I reckon you'll be fine, and the bonus is not having to hang around for others to wake up etc.

Sure there's plenty on here who will have similar tastes to you and could meet up with. Ben went on his own first year and sure he did a thread on his experience of it too.

my first G started out as a group effort with some people i knew but didn't really know and for a number of reasons by 6pm on the wednesday i'd re-camped by myself and did the rest of the thing solo. a terrible start. spent all of thursday angry and irate and self consciously wandering, aimless and lost. i got sickeningly drunk on cheap, neat rum and had to sit for a good hour at the tiny tea tent. before long, a couple took pity on me and we started chatting. they were part of a bigger group, introduced me to their people, and at various times through the rest of the weekend i hung out with them. other times i was quite content to be by myself. it's harder after midnight.

basically, if you're used to being in a group it will probably feel a bit weird and lacking for, at most, a day or two. then you'll either stumble into random conversations or reconcile with the alone time and accept the fact that this one will be different, but not worse. by friday morning i doubt you'll care

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So since the main ticket sale the few people I was going with have decided for one reason or another that they no longer want to/can go this year, which is annoying. But I still very much want to go, and ticket success on Sunday pending, intend to go. So, advice on going solo? People who've done it before: was it worth it? Tips etc? I know there's this whole 'Camp Solo' thing going on here but as somebody who is very insular and initially shy in person that sounds like my idea of hell. Freaking out at the idea of doing it alone really, but freaking out even moreso at the idea of not being there at all. I really need to get some better friends.

(I know there have probably been a few of these already, but fuck you, I want my own).

I reckon there's a few things you can do. First, if you're onsite in time, get along to the efests meet. It's great, really relaxed and you can come and go when you like. There'll be people you share music tastes/plans with, so you can arrange to meet them later in the weekend. Swap a few phone numbers and give people a text if you feel like meeting. That way there's no pressure on you. Also, once you've met a few people at that, it's amazing how often you'll see them, or bump into them over the weekend as you're passing through west holts, buying a pint in Williams Green or whatever.

Went on my own first year and was proper shitting myself, I'm a tad shy whilst sober, got talking to the group next to me who welcomed me in gave me a cuppa and asked if I wanted to tag along to meet their mates at a bar, all was bless and would go alone again in shot.

I've been on my own a few times, and like you, i find it tricky to speak to new people 'in real life' but you'll be fine.

there is always someone who wants to chat, people in queues, people next to you at stages, etc etc

plus, sometimes it's nice to just do whatever you want, not need to rush somewhere to meet someone, or compromise on which acts to see.

1 minute ago, JayBalls said:

Went on my own first year and was proper shitting myself, I'm a tad shy whilst sober, got talking to the group next to me who welcomed me in gave me a cuppa and asked if I wanted to tag along to meet their mates at a bar, all was bless and would go alone again in shot.

Yep I'm ridiculously shy/anx-ridden when sober so this would be the ideal scenario for me 'cause there's no way in hell I'm approaching anybody or inflicting myself on another group of my own accord :lol: If I do end up going I suppose I'll just have to hope I plonk myself next to some nice people instead of a group of jerks (both of which I've experienced multiple times at previous festivals). 

As for the efests meet/other group meetings, I'd love to entertain that idea but I know I'd just shit-out and want to run away. I am the worst with social scenarios and would probably just turn up blackout drunk and make a dick of myself (and then forget all about it the following morning).

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep I'm ridiculously shy/anx-ridden when sober so this would be the ideal scenario for me 'cause there's no way in hell I'm approaching anybody or inflicting myself on another group of my own accord :lol: If I do end up going I suppose I'll just have to hope I plonk myself next to some nice people instead of a group of jerks (both of which I've experienced multiple times at previous festivals). 

As for the efests meet/other group meetings, I'd love to entertain that idea but I know I'd just shit-out and want to run away. I am the worst with social scenarios and would probably just turn up blackout drunk and make a dick of myself (and then forget all about it the following morning).

From what I gather, that means you'll fit right in!

Is it bad that I actually never reminded my friends about the balance payment because I've started to like the idea of going on my own? They're pretty head screwed-on people so I'm sure they didn't forget to do it...but still a part of me that won't be bothered if they did forget! I don't know why, I'm ridiculously shy around new people, to the point where it's just awkward. I'm fine with a few drinks in me though.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Hi as part of the solo group we have all had the same issues about meeting loads of new people and them all knowing each other etc etc it's never easy but joining the group was the best thing I have done. we have a watts app group we chat on to help to get to know each other before hand and there is no pressure to join us at all if you just want someone to say morning to or watch a band with the're is ussaly someone with simallar interests and we have a massive range of ages and sizes from all walks of life would be great if u want to join us even if it's for a cuppa.

If not mate will happily give you my number and meet you at the farm for a beer or a easier introduction to camp solo if it suits you.

Sorry if I sound like a tit

This is basically me! Seriously conflicted about whether to try in the resale tomorrow.The Camp Solo thing sounds great but realistically,  I'm a total introvert, rather shy and fairly awkward with new people. I'm much better after a few drinks of course, but still I'm not kidding myself that I would find it easy to simply camp up with a bunch of strangers! It would be my first Glastonbury too, and I'm worried about just feeling really overwhelmed and alone at such a huge festival by myself :wacko:

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

when you're a scouser you're never really alone

I've been solo 3 times, once (2009) I camped alone and met people who I then spent time with at the festival and the last couple of years with the camp solo crew, who I'm joining for the 3rd year on the trot even though a couple of friends are coming along.

The great thing about camp solo is that you can be as alone as you want to be but return to friendly faces at the camp when you feel like it or join wandering groups to go and see an act, go to the late night areas or whatever entirely at your own discretion.  I'm quite a solitary type on the whole but have loved the time I've spent with them at the festival as much as I've enjoyed the freedom of being out on my own.

The group were really welcoming of everyone, regardless of whether they were full on social types, quiet folk like myself, returning campers or first timers and there are some really entertaining characters in the group who may just drag you out of your shell for a really good time you might not otherwise have been in the frame of mind to experience. 

Whatever you chose to do, Glastonbury solo is definitely worth doing.

Chiming in as another Camp Soloer!

It's definitely one of the better decisions that I've ever made. This year will be my third with Camp Solo and I think that, personally, it's the best way for me to enjoy the festival. 

I too was freaked out at the prospect of camping alone. Was I going to spend the whole time twiddling my thumbs, staring at people having fun in groups? I'm not the most confident of people so I was never going to be able to go up to a randomer and make friends. So having people to camp with gives this little safety blanket of "oh, I won't be talking to myself for 5 days. Good!" Having a few familiar faces in the tents around you is nice, as is having a chat in the morning and assessing the damage from the night before!

But at the same time I do like being on my own sometimes. Big groups can be a bit too much, I can't stand waiting around for people to figure out if they're hungry/thirsty/want to sit down etc. There's loads of stuff I wanna see and I will go and see it. The beauty of the camp is that there might be someone who wants to come along too - cool! There might be a big group of people heading to that stage or there already - cool! But also there's no pressure to stick around if you want to go off and do stuff. I spent loads of time just wandering around the circus fields seeing stuff that I liked, on my own. 

It really is the best of both worlds. We're a really diverse bunch (can't overstate that enough!) There's plenty of people who will be out all night and plenty that will have had enough after the headliners. Some will be at the pyramid most of the time, some will be in the Green Fields for the whole festival. Lots in between. 

My best tip for going solo would be to do what you want to do. It is the best opportunity to experience the festival EXACTLY as you want to. No comprising on bands. No waiting for 40 minutes because your mate went to the loo and can't find you again in the crowd and there's no phone signal (argh!) Eat all the food you want. Go on a bar crawl. Fuck it, its Glastonbury after all!

16 minutes ago, comagirl said:

This is basically me! Seriously conflicted about whether to try in the resale tomorrow.The Camp Solo thing sounds great but realistically,  I'm a total introvert, rather shy and fairly awkward with new people. I'm much better after a few drinks of course, but still I'm not kidding myself that I would find it easy to simply camp up with a bunch of strangers! It would be my first Glastonbury too, and I'm worried about just feeling really overwhelmed and alone at such a huge festival by myself :wacko:

The only pre-requiste for camp solo is to partake in power ballad yoga on the thursday morning.  If not you will be put on the camp fire and told stories by wolf from the gladiators.

But really it's a place to camp if you want to mix it with singing dentists and fake welsh accents it's totally your choice.  If not you can slope off an enjoy glasto totally solo or even in a coma?

I tip my hat to everyone who goes alone. My small-yet-mighty camp has adopted a couple of single festival goers (one of whom I've only met for an hour). If they want to hang with us great, if not then we'll always be on the end of a phone if they change their mind.

I know not everyone likes talking to strangers, but Glastonbury really is the best place to do it. People are generally nice, and if you're friendly to somebody the chances are they'll be friendly back. If not, try the next guy or girl who's dressed like a lunatic.

I've gone solo twice, once I just camped by myself, the next time I joined Camp Ralph.

On my own was fine, great even, I went along to the eFests meet, spoke to a few people, as far as I can remember, none of whom were regular posters or have been seen since the C*mp Tr*angle days. After that it was a brief chat to the neighbours in the morning, then off I'd go. 

I chatted to groups of people a few times, normally you'd find they'd draw you into their conversation rather than having to but in once they realised you were on your own. This normally happened in bigger crowds like at the Pyramid. Other than that, it's not like you are cut off from the outside world. I'd phone the Mrs, exchange texts with mates etc. I saw more acts than any other festival I've attended and overall had a blast.

The 2nd time I went with Camp Ralph. That was a great decision, a space was saved for later arrivals, there were people around to talk to and then, once revived you could either go off on your own or tag along with someone else. Again, I went to the eFests meet, this time meeting many of the regulars. Camp Ralph has continued, handed the batton over to Camp Solo, and I'm camping with them again this year (if they let me know where they are). 

Obviously it's not for everyone, that poor bloke who had a mare in the middle of Oxlyers springs to mind but I'd say go for it.

I have been solo the four times that i have been.

2011 - I definitely remember a few minutes of feeling a bit lost self doubt on the Wednesday and Thursday, but soon all was forgotten when when Friday kicked in.

2013 Camped in a similar spot as it was an area i was familiar with, kept an eye on some neighbours gear when they went to do a second journey from car and was promptly adopted by their group. A great festival for me with alot more late night entertainment than i would normally have had

2015 Camp Solo. Worked brilliantly, yes it took a few nerves to wonder in and say hello, but after that initial awkwardness it was fine. Some people spent alot of time together while others like me still wondered off by myself for most of the time but appreciated that there was also a base to come back and normally someone by the fire to compare notes and have a drink/smoke with.

2016 Due to coach booking mishap didn't arrive until Thursday PM.I was going to go to Camp Solo again, initially couldn't see the flag, but still camped in Darble. Neighbours here were friendly, but got the feeling that they were happiest in their own company so apart from the odd 'morning' or 'evening' we didn't really gel. The next day i spotted the flag and wondered over to have a chat and was immediately made to feel welcome by all.

It is a big deal to turn up in a new place for nearly a week, not knowing how it will go or who you will be camped next to, however if i get a ticket this week i will be doing exactly the same again this year.

2 hours ago, bethannny said:

My best tip for going solo would be to do what you want to do. It is the best opportunity to experience the festival EXACTLY as you want to. No comprising on bands. No waiting for 40 minutes because your mate went to the loo and can't find you again in the crowd

I agree totally with this - it is a great chance to just see where the weekend takes you. I look at it as my own little alternative universe for the week