Beers

weeksy97

On 21/04/2017 at 9:59 AM, cammie81 said:

How many did you get? Was only able to buy one of each in the Glasgow beer shops I visited. Wouldn't waste the ones I have left for a festival though.

Only managed to get 1 of each but I'm quite scared of drinking them considering the size and voltage of them!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, PorkSoda said:

Does anyone know the best place to buy craft cans. I'm looking to get some Elvis juice and best I can see is Amazon. But was wondering if any good sites possibly with a welcome offer 10% off that sort of thing?

Aside from the morality of using Amazon (£12m UK tax paid on £5.3bn UK turnover), you also need to be careful of their delivery dates on booze - they sometimes offer cheap prices but can't actually deliver for ages.

Always worth looking around but I've found Beerhawk.co.uk to compare favourably to anyone else, both in terms of range and price. There is a student discount, and they used to offer a 10% discount on your first order if you signed up to their email newsletter - not sure if that's still going.

Another good option, although not for Brewdog, is Craft Metropolis. This is a beer club that you sign up to get 1-3 monthly deliveries of 12 beers a time, but its USP is you can choose your own beers (and they have loads of cans, including Beavertown and Magic Rock, as well as bottles). I think you can find a half-price code if you look around, and you might well be able to pause/cancel your subscription after that...

I'd be interested to know what other online options people recommend.

• 4 weeks later...

I've started compiling my beer stash, I'm going full-on craft w*nker this year :P I've got some cans of Gun brewery's excellent whisky aged imperial stout at 7.4%, as it works gloriously well when unchilled - and I've got to get a few Beavertown smog rockets, and some Tailgate peanut butter milk stouts - alongside my standard 'cooking bitter' of Hobgoblin. Couple of posh ones a day, and four normals - plus whatever I get from the bars as I'm going past - and that's me sorted! 

2 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The Brewdog website has free delivery (usually £5) this weekend with code FACEBOOKFREE. Ends midnight Monday.

They have a very tasty looking new fruity IPA in cans, but it's 7.5%... 

Still much, much, much cheaper to buy from Tesco (can get boxes delivered to your local store for pickup).

53 minutes ago, briddj said:

Still much, much, much cheaper to buy from Tesco (can get boxes delivered to your local store for pickup).

Cheers, they are cheaper (depending on what and how much you're buying). Though delivery to your door - or the door of your nominated driver - may be worth the difference.

In fact in terms of supermarkets, it seems Asda and Morrisons are both cheaper for Brewdog than Tescos (or their own site) - £5.50 per 4-pack for Dead Pony (my preferred session ale, along with St Austell Tribute) or Punk.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

29 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Cheers, they are cheaper (depending on what and how much you're buying). Though delivery to your door - or the door of your nominated driver - may be worth the difference.

In fact in terms of supermarkets, it seems Asda and Morrisons are both cheaper for Brewdog than Tescos (or their own site) - £5.50 per 4-pack for Dead Pony (my preferred session ale, along with St Austell Tribute) or Punk.

Ah, but only Tesco do this:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295374537&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS - Grocery - Alcohol*PX | Shopping GSC | Alcohol %2B Tesco Brand*PRODUCT GROUP295374537*&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F-bDzlIWGpRnqpIYD8ugMVuk5vgSWN4s8lQNadtiQcIaAlS88P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Totally agree with comment about poor Ale at Glasto. Went to Greenman last year, they had 50 Ales and 50 Ciders, all Welsh.  With so many breweries in the South West you'd think they could do better than Otter.

Edited by Gwladboy

On 28/04/2017 at 7:03 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

I'll definitely be utilising my 20% online discount to stock up on Elvis Juice and Punk before the fest, in my opinion both are delicious :)

I'd agree too love punk and many other delights of brewdog. 

Personally I'm not a beer drinker, but I did think it would be nice to have some around for some variety (main booze workhorse is rum, bolstered by gin for when things are calmer, and tequila for when we're in a fun mood, also taking a bottle of port to see how that goes down, and some VKs for nostagia), so I looked at how much it would be to get some Beavertown tins, with them being the only craft dickhead ale I really get on with. £24 for 6! Small cans at that. They're really nice, but they aren't that nice. Brewdog stuff seems to be cheap, but I don't really think they're that nice, also they scream about how punk they are, while seeming like massive corporate tryhards.