Beers

weeksy97

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Ah lads. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. One off-piste boozer that sells daycent booze. That's all I ask. If there's a staffonly grogmerchant with quality stuff then there can be one for Joe & Nance Spudmuncher.

Like an ale version of the craft cider bars?  That sounds great!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

45 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Cider bus is great cider. Brother's is not although still has a place on a scorching hot day.

Thatchers falls somewhere in the middle

I couldn't agree more, although it would be nice if there were some of the local cider makers there as well ( yes thatchers and brothers are local) but I mean the local farmers, the ones who put out the 'cider for sell' signs at the side of the road. Let's have an decent alternative to fizzy pop ciders.

Edited by Smeble

Just now, Smeble said:

I couldn't agree more, although it would be nice if there were some of the local cider makers there as well ( yes thatchers and brothers are local) but I mean the local farmers, the ones who put out the 'cider for sell' signs at the side of the road. Let's have an descent alternative to fizzy pop ciders.

That would be great indeed, but I'm not sure that they could provide enough to last a single day.  It would need to be a cider bar selling wares from all different makers.  Almost a mini cider festival.  Possible for sure, but logistically challenging.

As others have eluded, the big problem of a craft ale bar would be supply/demand logistics.  I'm sure there is no way a brewery the size of Wild could cater for demand at Glastonbury - both in terms of volume produced and quantity of kegs etc.  They would likely be drunk dry by Wednesday evening.  I think the only way it could be achieved would be to have a large variety of stock from different brewers and constantly rotate it, which would be a management headache.

I'm not sure how they do it at the real ale bar, but as others have said the beer is warm/pretty awful so never seems to be a huge demand for it anyway.

1 minute ago, Eks101 said:

As others have eluded, the big problem of a craft ale bar would be supply/demand logistics.  I'm sure there is no way a brewery the size of Wild could cater for demand at Glastonbury - both in terms of volume produced and quantity of kegs etc.  They would likely be drunk dry by Wednesday evening.  I think the only way it could be achieved would be to have a large variety of stock from different brewers and constantly rotate it, which would be a management headache.

I'm not sure how they do it at the real ale bar, but as others have said the beer is warm/pretty awful so never seems to be a huge demand for it anyway.

I do wonder if the micro bars are the way to go.  Obviously Thatchers are not a small company, so can keep their craft bars flowing, but they never seemed swamped with demand.  With a few small bars selling obscure (and not cheap, presumably) drinks, maybe it could work?

Just now, Eks101 said:

not sure how they do it at the real ale bar, but as others have said the beer is warm/pretty awful so never seems to be a huge demand for it anyway.

So get rid. The Camra lads didnt get tickets this year.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Ah lads. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. One off-piste boozer that sells daycent booze. That's all I ask. If there's a staffonly grogmerchant with quality stuff then there can be one for Joe & Nance Spudmuncher.

Hasn't there been a place at the top of the Park selling craft the past couple of years? Agree there would certainly be a big market for another.

There's also Cornish Arms selling fine St Austell ales, and Theatre Bar selling Grimbergen Blonde and a couple of other decent European beers.

Pieminister got a PFO from Glasto for example for basically becoming too big and not being local enough so big breweries are out it seems. 

Maybe a local IPA brewer could work if they approached the festival. Anything is better than Tuborg. It looks and tastes like its been scooped out from the long drops and then topped with frothed badgers semen.

The Theatre Bar started doing crafties last year but I never made it in. Will rectify that this year. 

As well as a unique and friendly atmosphere, the Theatre Bar has become renowned for its wide array of tipples and this year will also include a number of European Craft Beers, some of which cannot be found anywhere else across the festival.

31 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pieminister got a PFO from Glasto for example for basically becoming too big and not being local enough so big breweries are out it seems. 

Maybe a local IPA brewer could work if they approached the festival. Anything is better than Tuborg. It looks and tastes like its been scooped out from the long drops and then topped with frothed badgers semen.

The Theatre Bar started doing crafties last year but I never made it in. Will rectify that this year. 

As well as a unique and friendly atmosphere, the Theatre Bar has become renowned for its wide array of tipples and this year will also include a number of European Craft Beers, some of which cannot be found anywhere else across the festival.

Yeah the theatre bar had like one belgian style lager on but I forget its name now. It was OK but nothing world beating. This would be the way to go to get craft in though, small one tap installations at the odd bar here & there

Just for the record Grimbergen is brewed by Kronenbourg so won't suffer supply/demand issues like a lot of craft beer and <cough> proper Belgian beer.  

I know I'm sounding like a right Real Ale Tw*t here by the way.

EDIT: Just checked the wikipedia page - it also has links to the Carsberg group, who make Tuborg, so makes sense why it's stocked in some bars.

Edited by Eks101