Coachella 2017 Live Stream

BlackHole2006

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe they asked and he said no.

I think that's almost certainly the case. Not to headline, but to be part of the festival in some capacity. I can't imagine they wouldn't even have approached his people. Maybe he couldn't make it, maybe he didn't want to play Glastonbury, maybe it's not in his strategic career arc at this point.

I agree that if Kendrick was booked to headline, most people would have to look him up. That doesn't necessarily disqualify him of course, but for all their talk of giving upcoming bands a chance at the headline slots, they don't. Not on the Pyramid. Artists are always much more established than Kendrick is. He's headlining Coachella because America has a more evolved appreciation of hip hop music and enough people in it to ensure pretty much anyone with a good degree of success within their genre is going to get a good crowd.

Edited by kalifire

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Now I have listened to TPAB like I said I would to @swede but I can honestly say it is not relevant to me in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing new to this what so ever. It is just an endless procession of "fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga".

this is the wrongest thing anybody ever posted here.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Relevant to who and to why? Now I have listened to TPAB like I said I would to @swede but I can honestly say it is not relevant to me in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing new to this what so ever. It is just an endless procession of "fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga". This was done decades ago by Public Enemy and NWA. At least NWA had the tunes to go with the obscenity.

Now I can appreciate he is this generations big rapper and fair enough, it seems exciting  in contrast to the x factor shite they have been brought up with. Yet if you grew up in a generation where Biggie, Tupac, Snoop and so on were really singing about struggle then Kendrick seems a little watered down and sanitised to me.

Now fair play to the lad, he seems to be coming at things from a slighly different angle than the gangster rappers from the past. He does not glamourise it  and seems to be against it.

But his songs say nothing to me about my life. They don't seem to address the state of the world. From a musical point of view there is nothing groundbreaking or new and I am not really keen on how his vocals do not seem to fit the music.

Fair enough he is this generations big rapper. For me personally there is nothing that really grabs me in and makes me want to continue listening.It gets a bit boring listening to every lyric ending in nigga, or bitch or strap.

I don't think that's true at all. For one he's not really one to fill a song with loads of expletives or braggadocio and the ones he does I think it's to sorta pastiche that way of mind. They absolutely do address the state of his world and the people around him.

Honestly if you were to listen to it again, pull up Genius.com and read through the subtext (this doesn't mean you're dumb, I always do this!) and you'll find the picture he paints more interesting.

2 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

The more I see of this festival the more it seems like the `anti glastonbury` or what glastonbury would be like if it was purly about money and celebs, no decent character of the site, no history, to many regulations, to much of a fashion parade, hordes of plastic plastic people and tbh....not even that good of a lineup unless you count radiohead and king gizzard......

Youd have to pay me a lot of money to mix with the kind of airheaded narcissistic people im seeing them interview on the videos around the site let alone me buy a ticket every guy look and sounds like they are straight off the set of jersey shore every girl looks and sounds like shes straight out of the most stereotypical hollywood modelling agency definitely not somewhere id consider a `good time`........

On 15/04/2017 at 11:39 PM, thatcrazypenguin said:

just makes me glad for glastonbury, what a shite lineup this is.....over whole weekend I think only bands id be interested in are king gizzard and the lizard wizard, radiohead and new order.....the rest is a pile of shite.....3 bands.....oh well id have a lot of drinking time :P

If you guys aren't the same person you should definitely hang out.

because only 2 people on these boards like Radiohead and king gizzard yeah? both bands who are very popular with glastonbury goers, come on at least put some effort into your tin foil hat theories! youll have to do better then that!

I mean by that logic I could be literally 10s of people on these boards! Hell, good job penguin didnt mention frank carter and the rattlesnakes at any point of your nose would be twitching even more bless ya 

3 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

because only 2 people on these boards like Radiohead and king gizzard yeah? both bands who are very popular with glastonbury goers, come on at least put some effort into your tin foil hat theories! youll have to do better then that!

I mean by that logic I could be literally 10s of people on these boards! Hell, good job penguin didnt mention frank carter and the rattlesnakes at any point of your nose would be twitching even more bless ya 

Hey man, at least I lent you the possibility that you aren't the same person which is more than others would. :lol:

4 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

It's nothing to get embarrassed about pal, we all do it. I've got this alt account where I go on rants about social groups over 40, it's cathartic. Dental has his Will2609 alter-ego for when he's bored as well.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hey man, at least I lent you the possibility that you aren't the same person which is more than others would. :lol:

It's like playing hide and seek with someone hiding behind a curtain with their toes sticking out at the bottom. 

45 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Yet if you grew up in a generation where Biggie, Tupac, Snoop and so on were really singing about struggle then Kendrick seems a little watered down and sanitised to me.

I grew up in this generation and K-Dot is way more of the moment and germane to current African American politics - Black Lives Matter in particular - than any of the three artists you mention to whatever specific 90s "struggle" that you're referring to.

He's also better - at least, way more consistent - than any one of them.

7 minutes ago, Badlands said:

To be fair, events conspired to curtail Pac and Bigg's opportunity for consistency.

Pac doesnt even have one consistent album to his name.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Very different time for the art as well. It's a bit redundant drawing unnecessary comparisons.

Aye.  Fair enough.  Agreed.

40 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

this is the wrongest thing anybody ever posted here.

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think that's true at all. For one he's not really one to fill a song with loads of expletives or braggadocio and the ones he does I think it's to sorta pastiche that way of mind. They absolutely do address the state of his world and the people around him.

Honestly if you were to listen to it again, pull up Genius.com and read through the subtext (this doesn't mean you're dumb, I always do this!) and you'll find the picture he paints more interesting.

Come on fellas, its got the lyrics highlighted on Deezer as they progress through the song.

I just thought it was a slight exaggeration when @jparx said he was the most relevant artist in the world today. The world is a big place, there is more to it than the UK and north America. Now I have not listened to all his stuff so I am forming my opinion from the limited amount I have listened to, which I appreciate is a dangerous thing to do.. Yet from what I have listened to there is nothing enticing me to carry on listening. From a musical point of view there are no killer hooks or melodies. Then the rapping does not seem to fit with the music. As mentioned previously I tend not to like tunes where most of them emphasis is placed on the vocals.

Now I have not seen him live so it maybe worth ago watching his Coachella set on my dinner in work tonight.

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's nothing to get embarrassed about pal, we all do it. I've got this alt account where I go on rants about social groups over 40, it's cathartic. Dental has his Will2609 alter-ego for when he's bored as well.

Na having multiple accounts is psychotic.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Relevant to who and to why? Now I have listened to TPAB like I said I would to @swede but I can honestly say it is not relevant to me in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing new to this what so ever. It is just an endless procession of "fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga". This was done decades ago by Public Enemy and NWA. At least NWA had the tunes to go with the obscenity.

Now I can appreciate he is this generations big rapper and fair enough, it seems exciting  in contrast to the x factor shite they have been brought up with. Yet if you grew up in a generation where Biggie, Tupac, Snoop and so on were really singing about struggle then Kendrick seems a little watered down and sanitised to me.

Now fair play to the lad, he seems to be coming at things from a slighly different angle than the gangster rappers from the past. He does not glamourise it  and seems to be against it.

But his songs say nothing to me about my life. They don't seem to address the state of the world. From a musical point of view there is nothing groundbreaking or new and I am not really keen on how his vocals do not seem to fit the music.

Fair enough he is this generations big rapper. For me personally there is nothing that really grabs me in and makes me want to continue listening.It gets a bit boring listening to every lyric ending in nigga, or bitch or strap.

Reading this makes me sad

49 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I grew up in this generation and K-Dot is way more of the moment and germane to current African American politics - Black Lives Matter in particular - than any of the three artists you mention to whatever specific 90s "struggle" that you're referring to.

He's also better - at least, way more consistent - than any one of them.

Consistent does not make better though. James Milner is consistent, he is not going to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end though

If you are going to judge him against the other 3, is he as good a rapper? No chance, the timbre of his vocal is no where near as pleasant on the ear. Does he have any cross over tunes, well I have not heard any yet.

This is the thing, there are far more worrying issues going on in the world right now than current African American politics. He is rapping about the issues that affect him and rightly so. Yet that unfortunately that is not the biggest worry for the rest of us. People seem to rave about him for the message he is getting a cross and that is fair enough if you like political and social commentary in your music.. Not seen many people talk about his actual music, his chorus, his breaks, his hooks or his melodies though.

Now if he can influence people with his message and make a positive contribution to the issues which are ruining peoples lives then that is to be praised and applauded.

For me personally his message does not resonate with me. I do not know the issues affecting the lives of African Americans in Delaware, or Detroit or Chicago. Yes I have been appalled by some of the images I have seen. But lets be honest here, I have gone to bed at night and totally forgot about it, then gone on with my life, just like a bloke in Delaware would if he heard about someone getting stabbed to death at the end of my street.

Now when he starts singing about motherfuckers, niggas and ho ass bitches, I can't relate to that. Unfortunately the actual music is not pleasant enough to entice me in while I try and make sense of the message he is trying to get across.

Edited by eastynh

44 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

No others do, but they don't litter their posts with "ha ha ha" and "...." all the time as well. 

you could get a job advising on the set of csi with evidence gathering skills like that.....no really!..I mean its not as if ive been trying to mess with you clowns constantly accusing me of being someone im not since this whole rumour started.

Just now, thatcrazypenguin said:

Ok this ends now I'm getting pretty tired of people attributing posts to me from someone im not. Waterfalls if your still online post alongside this to prove we are not one good buddy......Haha.....Lol.....Haha ;p

pleasure.

well what the fuck do you know, unless im in 2 places at once? :P

Glastonbury really shouldn't be a festival that walks on eggshells around 'the deck chair pyramid all dayers', he's big enough now, he can do it. Book him for 2019 please he will be fantastic.

If Glastonbury really are in the fashion of sorting their headliners super early then surely this booking / performance he's doing right now might make them want him for 2019.

I really hope Glasto haven't sorted three acts for 2019 already because booking for a festival 3 years in the future is really not a good idea. At the max sort one biggie and wait and see who's going to rise to the occasion in two years time. A lot can happen in that period, two years ago today Sam Smith was a mega star and subheadlining V festival, now he's fallen off the face of the earth. A lot can change!

10 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

Ok this ends now I'm getting pretty tired of people attributing posts to me from someone im not. Waterfalls if your still online post alongside this to prove we are not one good buddy......Haha.....Lol.....Haha ;p

spinman.gif~c200

9 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

pleasure.

well what the fuck do you know, unless im in 2 places at once? :P