Resale 2017 - How many going back in

Joshuwarr

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Ten of those are family the rest are my mates otherwise known as old sons lol and my sons mates otherwise known as a bunch of lovely young sons lol.. We all help everyone and I mean everyone has to be on line those that aren't have to have a good reason.. If you get a ticket and pull out cos you don't like the line-up or weather then if you want to go the next year your at the bottom of the list. 

We have just a few tickets to get but I'm expecting at least 30 people on line for resale.. 

Everyone trusts everyone with money's any tickets brought are paid within a day or two.. 

Basically we just organised old son.. 

I hope that answers your question. G

I am impressed! My friends and family are scattered around the country and world, so I can't quite imagine what it would be like to see so many in one place, especially at Glastonbury! 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Its gone from a family affair to a rather large convoy. We have quite the ticket system / preparation for ticket day.

Ha ha, I like to think you all arrive individually by truck! Must feel like quite the epic by the time you get home- though exhausting too, managing all the dynamics and politics - hope you all have an enjoyable time

1 hour ago, billum said:

I think the numbers here are quite encouraging for hopes in the resale - if anything I'd expect the peeps on these boards to be less likely to return tickets or forget to pay the balance (obvs there's a few) because clearly we're the dedicatederati. I'd say we can up the 10-15% returns across the rest of slightly-more-indifferent masses to perhaps 20-25% back in the pot? Giving a pool of maybe 25,000 tickets in the resale?

50 minutes ago, mjsell said:

That would be my thinking. But I think 25% figure is way too high. anything near 20% i'd be fairly happy.

This makes me a bit cross. Possibly unreasonably, but hear me out.

We love this festival. In fact, some of us have a borderline inappropriate obsession and relationship with it. As such, T Day is terrifying and, for many of the Faithful who miss out, hugely disappointing and can make people properly sad.

And, of course, it's because the festival is SO successful and So popular. BUT...if we are really saying that there might be a return rate of getting up to one-in-five tickets, then I fail to believe that there are that many whose situation changes between October and April, such that they now cannot go when they still wish to.

Accepting that (which you may or may not), that leads me to the conclusion that some buggers just secure tickets in case they fancy it, come the spring. Which is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the seeming thousands who would give an ovary or testicle for a ticket about which some seem somewhat indifferent, having secured it. 

And that makes me cross.

I will qualify this by saying that (1) I believe that the system is as fair as it can be, (2) I do support the deposit system because it creates a degree of kind flexibility for those who were going to, but now just cannot, go. And my support is despite the inherent nature of the of the deposit creating the distasteful scenario that has prompted me to post.

So, I don't have an answer and a solution, In Michael We Trust, and I acknowledge that we probably have as good a system as we can. It's just that I feel so very sorry for the unsuccessful who are in that position partly because of what appears to be the (entirely legitimate, if undesirable) actions of quite a lot of people who don't seem to be that fussed about going to something that is so dear to the rest of us.

Anyway. I've probably got all that wrong and there are only 127 tickets back in the pot on resale day. But it makes me a bit cross.

Ben

1 hour ago, billum said:

I think the numbers here are quite encouraging for hopes in the resale - if anything I'd expect the peeps on these boards to be less likely to return tickets or forget to pay the balance (obvs there's a few) because clearly we're the dedicatederati. I'd say we can up the 10-15% returns across the rest of slightly-more-indifferent masses to perhaps 20-25% back in the pot? Giving a pool of maybe 25,000 tickets in the resale?

Ha, I was about to respond to the person earlier who asked what the point in people saying how many tickets their group was returning, was, with "because we're nerds and can extrapolate the figures to project a percentage and use it to calculate an estimated number of tickets in the resale", but then saw you had essentially beaten me to it ;)

One thing you haven't considered in your calculations- it seems mainly groups of 6 or more have responded, which I would anticipate would have a higher return rate than individuals and pairs, which may skewer your figures

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

One thing you haven't considered in your calculations- it seems mainly groups of 6 or more have responded, which I would anticipate would have a higher return rate than individuals and pairs, which may skewer your figures

Yes I think you're bang on, and as Benny alluded to, it's the large groups where a whole extended bunch of mates have all said "Oh yeah I'll come along" before ticket day, when it all seems far off into the future, then faced with paying the balance off have gone "Oh, you got me a ticket did you? Ah, I don't really fancy it / haven't got the cash at the moment / booked a holiday / <insert various responses here>" and sagged off.

It seems to work much better when, as I think GuyJP mentioned, everyone who wants a ticket needs to be present and correct online at 9AM trying their hardest on ticket day, coz then you've got the commitment rather than just a vague 'involvement' (cf: ham & eggs, chickens and pigs).

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

What the heck?! How is it possible to know so many people?!

Haha, we've had a solid group build up over the last four years. The rule is 'ABE', always be everywhere! Never miss out on a party! Two of the guys have booked flights back from the US and Africa just to go (one of which hasn't got his ticket yet!).  

58 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Ha ha, I like to think you all arrive individually by truck! Must feel like quite the epic by the time you get home- though exhausting too, managing all the dynamics and politics - hope you all have an enjoyable time

There's been talk of hiring a couple of mini buses! Yeah its hard work as we have about 25 tents if not more arriving on the Thursday, and we always camp on Big Ground half way down the hill in the middle, and that fills up super quick. So we're normally arriving at the site at about 8pm Tuesday night. Military operation I'm telling you

59 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

This makes me a bit cross. Possibly unreasonably, but hear me out.

We love this festival. In fact, some of us have a borderline inappropriate obsession and relationship with it. As such, T Day is terrifying and, for many of the Faithful who miss out, hugely disappointing and can make people properly sad.

And, of course, it's because the festival is SO successful and So popular. BUT...if we are really saying that there might be a return rate of getting up to one-in-five tickets, then I fail to believe that there are that many whose situation changes between October and April, such that they now cannot go when they still wish to.

Accepting that (which you may or may not), that leads me to the conclusion that some buggers just secure tickets in case they fancy it, come the spring. Which is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the seeming thousands who would give an ovary or testicle for a ticket about which some seem somewhat indifferent, having secured it. 

And that makes me cross.

I will qualify this by saying that (1) I believe that the system is as fair as it can be, (2) I do support the deposit system because it creates a degree of kind flexibility for those who were going to, but now just cannot, go. And my support is despite the inherent nature of the of the deposit creating the distasteful scenario that has prompted me to post.

So, I don't have an answer and a solution, In Michael We Trust, and I acknowledge that we probably have as good a system as we can. It's just that I feel so very sorry for the unsuccessful who are in that position partly because of what appears to be the (entirely legitimate, if undesirable) actions of quite a lot of people who don't seem to be that fussed about going to something that is so dear to the rest of us.

Anyway. I've probably got all that wrong and there are only 127 tickets back in the pot on resale day. But it makes me a bit cross.

Ben

I'm inclined to agree. The one year we failed to get tickets I was pretty devestated...and by resale time my usual crew had decided they couldn't be bothered, so no 2015 festival for Sally :( When the actual festival came round, I had one other friend who went for the first time. And afterwards when I asked her how it was she said "oh it was ok...not really my thing. Too big. Probably won't go back". 

But I also agree that there is a better way, and I suppose the fact that people who are't that fussed can get tickets, shows that it's not somehow biased in favour of people who have been before (regardless of your opinion of that)

39 minutes ago, billum said:

It seems to work much better when, as I think GuyJP mentioned, everyone who wants a ticket needs to be present and correct online at 9AM trying their hardest on ticket day, coz then you've got the commitment rather than just a vague 'involvement' (cf: ham & eggs, chickens and pigs).

15 - 0 - 3

Agree that if your group consists of those willing to be fully arsed on T -day, the drop out rate is limited to genuine reasons. It does feel unfair to bag tickets in Oct only to be too half-arsed to go in the end. I know that means their ticket goes back into the pot, but that also means for everyone who does that, some else spends Oct-April worrying about getting a ticket.

We all have an agreement that everyone goes for coaches/main/all re-sales, irrespective of their own ticket status, until we have everyone sorted. So come this resale there will be 18 people trying for those 3 and they'll keep it up till the very last ticket has flown.

If there is a fairer way, I can't think of it. Hard work and dedication do increase your chances but its luck at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

There's no place in the multiverse where that could happen to me.

I've got this thing bad...

Ben

I can remember the first time you got a ticket and weren't quite sure what to expect.

Oh, how things have changed Ben :D

Mine is 0, 0, 6 btw

31 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'm inclined to agree. The one year we failed to get tickets I was pretty devestated...and by resale time my usual crew had decided they couldn't be bothered, so no 2015 festival for Sally :( When the actual festival came round, I had one other friend who went for the first time. And afterwards when I asked her how it was she said "oh it was ok...not really my thing. Too big. Probably won't go back". 

But I also agree that there is a better way, and I suppose the fact that people who are't that fussed can get tickets, shows that it's not somehow biased in favour of people who have been before (regardless of your opinion of that)

This year my two dropouts were purely due to the line up. Both only wanted to see the foo fighters and had nothing else to 'hold onto' in the rest of the lineup

@bennyhana22 - I agree, there are lots of people who aren't on this forum who love the festival and not getting tickets makes them sad. I have seen on my Facebook that some people have 'forgotten' to pay. It got to the 2nd day and I had a panic that if I didn't pay right that second, something would happen. I know a lot of people go to tick it off their bucket list and never return because "it's just a festival" to them. 

I do think the number might be less than 25,000 but then, we've never had a proper figure given. A lot of people who end up on my coach usually get tickets in the resale - I'd say that they plough the numbers into more coaches for certain areas. I'd always always try in the coach sale because:

1) I like going by coach, it means I'm dropped off right next to the gate and it's a short walk to Bushy Ground where we like to camp. 

2) It gives me two throws of the ticket dice meaning I get more of a chance of getting the golden ticket (not going to lie, I cheer every time I get one)

1 hour ago, rumpola said:

I can remember the first time you got a ticket and weren't quite sure what to expect.

Oh, how things have changed Ben :D

Mine is 0, 0, 6 btw

Awww, thanks, rumpola!

It really is now just my favourite place on Earth.

And as such, and looking at your numbers, all the luck in the world in the resale, buddy.

Ben

6 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

How on earth did some groups get 30+ tickets?

I think we had 12 reserved, 2 going back in the pot, and we need 1 more.

I won't lie I slept in this year to my groups dismay so none of us got tickets. Last year, i alone managed to get 18 in October, 5 in the resale and 1 in the secret resale.

I work for a company and my office is open 24 hours. I go in and try from work. People say bandwidth and all that jazz doesn't help. I've only ever been this successful when trying from work. Make of that what you will.

And I'm back in for another 9 after failing miserably back in October. Suffice to say I wont be drinking next Saturday...

2 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Last year, i alone managed to get 18 in October, 5 in the resale and 1 in the secret resale.

I work for a company and my office is open 24 hours. I go in and try from work. People say bandwidth and all that jazz doesn't help. I've only ever been this successful when trying from work. Make of that what you will.

So... is this company you work for looking for any new staff?

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

So... is this company you work for looking for any new staff?

Aha well if you live in Swindon or the surrounding region, there's a reputable building society that i may or may not work for who have prominent offices littered across the area ;-)