East Campervans MH advice

Popsider75

Having attended Glastonbury since 1995 and always having camped this years festival will see me in the campervan fields for the first time.

Just wondering how people handle the fresh and waste water situation?

Im pretty sure my MH will not last the full duration without needing a top up of fresh water and a dump of the grey waste.

Do people use a jerry can to top up the fresh water?

How do you dispose of the grey waste water?

Im assuming there is an area for emptying the toilet wate too?

Any practical advice appreciated. Im a Glasto veteran but very much new to Motorhoming having just spent a week away in my new wheels! Will be having a practice run at Bearded Theory in May.

in addition what it like getting into the East CV field say, Wednesday dinnertime? has the traffic madness calmed down by then? I have always travelled overnight Wed/thurs previously.

Edited by Popsider75

Can't talk about East, always been in West, but Fresh water - take an Aquaroll or equivalent and fill up from the taps in the field.  Depending on your setup you could then pump or pour the water into your fresh water tank.  I used to travel with a full tank but obviously this will impact on the weight of the van and your fuel consumption.  I've never got through the festival on a full tank but that depends how many of you, whether you are showering every day etc.

Waste water - last year I figured that a few more litres on a sodden field wouldn't make that much difference and let it drain away onto the ground, but you could take a standard under-van waste water container and empty it in the toilet waste bins - there's nowhere else obvious to drain it away.

Obviously toilet waste goes in the big metal bins provided!

Again, I can only speak for West, but getting in on Wednesday dinnertime should be dead easy.  Although if I'm lucky enough to get a camper van ticket in the resale I'll be hammering on the doors as early as allowed on the Tuesday!

Make sure you are full of water, it's bedlam for the 1st couple of days filling up by cans.

There's a tank for waste & toilet stuff. I personally don't worry about the washing water, I'm sure it all gets spread on the land later anyway.

It's not normally too bad getting in Wednesday, last year was horrendous.

We went in a motorhome for the first time last year and loved it.

We went with a full water tank and several full jerry cans. Despite being parked up right next to a water point we didn't have to use it once but did have to refill with our pre-filled jerry cans.

For both water and electricity, I think the trick is to be as frugal as possible. Only emergencies and number ones in the toilet. Turn the shower off while lathering etc. Take power packs to charge your phone rather than using your van power. Use power pretty much only for the water pump and briefly have the lights on when you get back at night and then put battery lantern on or something.

A bit of planning and a frugal mindset might be a bit of a ball ache but the reward is less time dicking about with your motorhome and more time enjoying the greatest festival in the world!

I think my best tip is to take an ice block and a smallish cool bag that fits in a rucksack and keep your fridge fully replenished with cans of your favourite tipple. Every day when you go out, fill your cool bag with cold cans and your ice block from the freezer and bingo, you've got ice cold drinks all day!

even though you are coming a long way I'd fill your tank before leaving, last thing you want to be doing when you arrive is faff about doing numerous treks to a water point to fill up, make sure what ever you bring to fill up is manageable, better to have 2 smaller containers to balance you than one big one, either that or get something on wheels.

as for grey waste bring a black bucket to empty it, I guess most people just empty onto the field which is a bit naughty.

i saw black waste emptied onto the ground which is disgusting and people who do this give other motorhomers a bad name.

we limit our water use to washing up( be careful how much oil goes down into the tank) hot drinks and a couple of quick showers, didn't need to replenish the fresh water at all last year.

what size leisure battery do you have, we had an 80ah one last year and it ran down quite quickly, ( turned out it was on its last legs) limited use to a couple of interior lights, turned 2 off completely, and obviously the water pump which uses loads of juice. This year I've fitted a solar panel and a 110ah battery so should have more than enough juice.( ah just seen you have a solar panel, no issues with power then)

make sure you have plenty of gas for your fridge

and a BBQ is a must

Edited by Smeble

1 hour ago, Jamie D said:

For both water and electricity, I think the trick is to be as frugal as possible. Only emergencies and number ones in the toilet. Turn the shower off while lathering etc. Take power packs to charge your phone rather than using your van power. Use power pretty much only for the water pump and briefly have the lights on when you get back at night and then put battery lantern on or something.

A bit of planning and a frugal mindset might be a bit of a ball ache but the reward is less time dicking about with your motorhome and more time enjoying the greatest festival in the world!

I think my best tip is to take an ice block and a smallish cool bag that fits in a rucksack and keep your fridge fully replenished with cans of your favourite tipple. Every day when you go out, fill your cool bag with cold cans and your ice block from the freezer and bingo, you've got ice cold drinks all day!

I've stayed in a rented caravan for a few years and followed pretty much all this, it's great advice. 

Anker battery packs are great for phones - we leave them on charge during the day, when the solar panel is doing its thing - then use them to charge phones etc. overnight. We stay locally on the Monday night, so only have a full tank and carriers for the last 5 miles. Also, the water points get very muddy and tap connections are sometimes awkward - we've got quite a clever DIY hose type thing that fits most taps, and reduces splashing. Needless to say, quietest time at the taps is when the festival is in full swing/ late at night. Get geared up with BBQ/fire pit, lanterns, candles,solar fairy lights ....some of the best times can be had over impromptu late night gatherings round the fire with your neighbours / new friends! East CV is great!!

Got plenty of tips but just about to watch the Grand National so just one for now.......fill your Aquas/barrels etc from the tap at non-peak times ie early evening/night time, saves hours queing in the morning and the water flow is a lot faster from the communal taps.

Actually here's another tip, think what leisure battery power you need and double it, one 80ah = take two!