Camping alone with teenage son

Mich1268

Hi there, looks like my husband is backing out due to back issues. My 15 year old is dying to come and registered for possible resale. Do you think he would get bored being with mum or on his own? And where would be the best place to camp as worried family camping will be youngsters and not people his age. Any advice would be great. 

Hi, there is so much variety you should both be sorted you may both have to sit through a set you may not normally listen too, my daughter (14) both can't wait for stormzy! The wife has just paid the balance but says she's not going if we don't get a caravan pass in the resale, if we camp it will be on the family camping just a bit quieter !  as your not really in your tent that much, enjoy !! 

I'm pretty sure there is (or was) a field at the bottom of the family camping that catered for families with older children / tennagers.  As for being bored no chance, no need for you both to be in each others pockets the whole weekend.  Glastonbury is a damn safe place to explore alone.

Hi, if this is any help to you at all:

My dad took me to my first Glasto when I was 15 in 2008. I really wanted to go. We used to camp in Cockmill Meadow, which is a real chilled out family camping area. It's very close to the main areas and also a stones throw away from the Sub Aqua cafe. Would highly recommend camping there. I had some great times in the first few years I went with him and never got bored. We compromised with each other on acts we wanted to see, caught all my favorites on Pyramid/Other and saw all of his must sees on the Acoustic/Jazz World and it worked out perfectly.

If he is as keen to come as I was back then, then I don't really think there's gonna be a problem between you two.

Edited by BlackHole2006

This your first time at Glastonbury?  Getting bored will not be an option unless you try very hard.  A couple of things I would suggest.   If you are intending to go your separate ways from time to time (and I really suggest you do) arrange a VERY specific meeting place but appreciate that the timing of the meet ups need to be a bit flexible due to the unpredictability of finding your way through crowds, having to queue for the loo, food, etc and the pure size of the site - so pick a place where you can sit/eat/drink and meet people.  It'll make the time go faster for whichever of you gets there first.   Don't rely on your phones to make contact - depending on your network, signal can be unpredictable and texts can take hours to get through.  Make sure that he knows that the stewards really are there to help if he feels unsure at any point (and you remember the same). Other advice?  Have fun, explore, try stuff and then have more fun.  

Bored at Glastonbury aged 15?!  No, not possible! :lol:

Next year he'll be off at some festival with his mates so you might as well use this as a training flight where you can keep a weather eye on him.  Let him be as free as you possibly can (with a few checks and balances) and smile at the young man he's becoming. 

If it's just the two of you then I wouldn't worry about family camping area just go anywhere. Cockmill tends to get filled up with families and smaller children. If you want a less hectic area then avoid Pennards and Oxylers and try some of the more outlying areas. We always camp in Kidney Mead which is fairly mixed and central but not too loud or too full of people off their heads! 

I would camp in wicket. There were lots of teens there last year and it is 2 mins from the JP. It is family camping but without lots of babies and toddlers and it is the most central place to camp where you will get a bit of space and slightly cleaner compost toilets with less queueing in the morning. I would camp there while you still have an excuse!

I think you will both have a brilliant time. I did this in 2011 with my 14 year old son-. First festival for him, my fourth Glastonbury. 

Dont think where you camp matters too much, so long as you stay away from party towns like Pennards or .Oxlyers. We camped near the entrance to campervans West, quite a hike to the main areas but a bit more space, and less party animals. Our neighbours could not have been nicer, a group of young men who became our friends- note, you all look out for each other- helps guard against tent thieves.

The site is so huge that it helps to orientate yourselves during daylight hours, but the aim will be to get him happy to go off on his own and find his way back to the tent, day or night. The site will be fully working on Friday so you have a couple of days when it will be less frantic to orientate him ( and you if it is your first time). Let him go off for short periods in daylight. 

We stuck together on the Friday, but by Saturday he was off on his own in the evening and made his own way 'home' to our tent. 

Socially he will pick up that Glastonbury is not like the real world- it is desirable to strike up conversations with random strangers and join in. Really improved my son's social skills.

Good luck for the resales ( it was my son who got our tickets in 2011 in the last few minutes of the second resale). 

Well in all honesty he has more chance of getting to willy wonkas chocolate factory than getting a ticket in the resale. Should have just used your husbands ticket....

If you do get one. Don't worry..... He is one lucky boy getting to go to his first glasto at 15! I would camp near the family bit tho if he and you are of a delicate disposition. The mains sites are sometimes not for the faint of heart. And sometimes down right fucking annoying.

The thing with glasto is they cater for all ages you will have a great time and if you meet families with similar age kids it's winner winner chicken dinner 

17 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's your solution to everything Yog

To be fair, it was said tongue in cheek.  I wouldn't really condone that a 15 year old get wasted for 5 days on drugs. 

Well, if I really must be sensible, I'd say to the OP that there's no way your 15 year old will get bored. I mean, it's a 5 day festival of contemporary performing arts. Not only that, but it's the largest green field festival in the world. There's so much to see and do that it's almost impossible for him not to have a ball. I suppose if he errs towards the agoraphobic then he might have problems. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

To be fair, it was said tongue in cheek.  I wouldn't really condone that a 15 year old get wasted for 5 days on drugs. 

Well, if I really must be sensible, I'd say to the OP that there's no way your 15 year old will get bored. I mean, it's a 5 day festival of contemporary performing arts. Not only that, but it's the largest green field festival in the world. There's so much to see and do that it's almost impossible for him not to have a ball. I suppose if he errs towards the agoraphobic then he might have problems. 

I know mate, was only pulling your leg :)

I took my 18 year old nephew a few years ago, just the two of us. Granted, he was of drinking age, but we probably spent a few hours a day away from each other doing our own thing. The phone signals are decent enough to sort meeting places and it worked really well. I was shattered by midnight, he wanted to stay out - which was ideal!

You'll have a wonderful time, he'll be able to explore some of the site himself and I dare say it'll be a bonding experience you'll look back on fondly.

I'm taking my baby this year (3 month old), but also my Dad for his 4th and wife for her first. A potentially quite different festival for us, but then perhaps not?! I see it very much as part of our year now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late response but the app won't let me type for some reason and have to go via the web. Anyway great news he is coming! We got resale coach for thursday. I hope he has a good time and thanks for all the sdvuce. Think I will camp at wicket hopefully they will still have space!