Festival "fashion" - what's your take on the concept?

OneLittleFish

What's your take on "festival fashion"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What importance does festival fashion have to you?

• It's really important that I'm looking good or fashionable at a festival. It's a social event and I went to look my best
    • I want to look decent but wouldn't go overboard with what I'm wearing
    • It doesn't hold that much importance to me but I still put thought into how I appear at a festival
    • I don't care at all, I take old clothes and whatever is on the tent floor first I put on
    • I'm a member of the Wurzels

13 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

We got caught out about 3 days on the trot with sambuca one year. Everything's been very clearly labelled ever since!!

I was with someone who took an accidental swig of tequila in the morning once. What a sight to behold.

8 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I wear what I wear in real life. To me wearing 'festival clothes' is a tad fake.

If dressing up, that is different and for me  has ranged from camel to Debbie Harry's bodyguard, burning hat man or The Nerd. Had to be in character for those. 

(Edit... I can see the problems for, say example, someone who lives in a Saville Row suit and works for a bank in The City." Yah, I'm going to Glasto, Bought some hippy clobber in Carnaby Street"  Not sure of the answer to that one)

For me it's more that I mostly live in jeans in the outside world, and they are just impractical for Glastonbury. Too hot if it's hot, and stay wet if it's wet. So the tights under shorts combo replaces this - and is a bit of a festival look/cliche as I am well aware. The rest of it, including the shorts at aged 52, I do still wear on a regular basis though.

strangely - my job (social worker) doesn't mind me dressing ke a hippy - but I like to dress more like an apprentice contestant just to challenge the stereotype! 

1 hour ago, Untz said:

I was with someone who took an accidental swig of tequila in the morning once. What a sight to behold.

Now tequila is a perfectly acceptable breakfast snifter. However assuming that it was your big standard Jose silver I can see it being less than pleasant...

I really enjoy watching out for slightly more wacky clothes this time of year. My festival ware tends to be more coluorful than usual. I generally put makeup on each day and try to tame my hair. I had a nice playsuit last year for the Wednesday that unbuttoned so was still practical and I'll probably buy something similar for this year.

So yes I like to look nice, it's my holiday. On the other hand unless I lose around 3 stone and grow almost a ft I'm not going to be mistaken for a Victoria secrets model. The walking boots and breathable waterproof jacket are the most important clothing items I take. 

I do find it amusing when you see the girls in those `style tents` getting all done up....espcially on years like last year (whats the point?) 

much like my first glastonbury when every morning we went for a cup of tea at that little tent (next to the showers by the kids field I think) and wed see a massive line of people lining up for a shower then stomping back through the mud to get back to their tent......we spoke to one of the girls and she said shed been there in the line for an hour......crazy lol

For me getting down and dirty is part of the charm of a festival, everyones in the same boat after all. 

38 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

For me getting down and dirty is part of the charm of a festival, everyones in the same boat after all. 

*shrug*

each to their own. i value a shower hugely as i just feel so much better when clean, and it makes such a colossal difference to a lack of sleep/hangover.

Edited by majormajormajor

As a younger bloke I never showered at festivals, however in 2010, with the heat as it was I succumbed one afternoon and the difference it made to how I felt was amazing, now I try and grab at least one or two afternoon showers at the festival for that revitalising effect, never in the morning peak queue time though, strip wash in the tent takes care of that.

6 minutes ago, Spindles said:

As a younger bloke I never showered at festivals, however in 2010, with the heat as it was I succumbed one afternoon and the difference it made to how I felt was amazing, now I try and grab at least one or two afternoon showers at the festival for that revitalising effect, never in the morning peak queue time though, strip wash in the tent takes care of that.

Is this at the showers in the Green Fields? What's the queue time normally like if you go in the afternoon?

It's all about practicality for me. I'll be in a t shirt and shorts with zips on for cash etc and I'll have a fleece in my day sack with a waterproof should the weather take a turn. Fleece normally comes out at night either way when the temp drops.

Last year on the Sunday I went for a shower as my friend had a bit of a tumble in the mud and needed a rinse off. There was 0 lineup and it felt amazing...really brought us back to life. This year I may try to get one on the Friday as well depending who is playing in the afternoon.

Since it's going to be so sunny and hot this year I may try to bring a solar shower instead. 

1 hour ago, gmb1992 said:

I can't understand how people wear playsuits/jumpsuits/all in ones - must be so annoying when you need a wee? :S 

Apparently if it's short, not full length legs, you can just pull it to the side.

This was told to me by my mother, so I didn't press any further. Doesn't sound right though.

Just now, Untz said:

Apparently if it's short, not full length legs, you can just pull it to the side.

This was told to me by my mother, so I didn't press any further. Doesn't sound right though.

That's a fucking disaster waiting to happen after a rake of rum and gingerbeer. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

That's a fucking disaster waiting to happen after a rake of rum and gingerbeer. 

I can imagine it's one of those things that's easier drunk than sober.

Whether that's just because you don't notice the piss all over yourself I couldn't say.

3 minutes ago, Untz said:

agree with H.M.V. that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!! lol  

Just now, Untz said:

I can imagine it's one of those things that's easier drunk than sober.

Whether that's just because you don't notice the piss all over yourself I couldn't say.

Let's just say i ain't taking no such risks this year after seeing a much smaller queue at the sheewee thingy last year in such circumstances. Rake of rum makes you think you are more adept than one actually has any business thinking. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Is this at the showers in the Green Fields? What's the queue time normally like if you go in the afternoon?

Yeah, those are the ones, I like to sit and dry in the sun in just my shorts on the decking where you come out.  If you head down later in the afternoon (3-5pm) the sun is usually at it's warmest and the queues are never more than 5 minutes (usually none at all).

PS: About those beers, come along to the efests meet if you're onsite early enough Wednesday, I'll be the wreck of a man with silly hair and bedraggled appearance :)

58 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Since it's going to be so sunny and hot this year I may try to bring a solar shower instead. 

Caveat: I haven't tried this myself, but it was recommended to me and physics says it should work.

If you place a couple of litre bottles of water in a binbag and leave them in the sun all day it should have the same effect as a solar shower, by mid afternoon you'll have warm water to slosh over yourself, a watering can head might also be a useful addition.

53 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Let's just say i ain't taking no such risks this year after seeing a much smaller queue at the sheewee thingy last year in such circumstances. Rake of rum makes you think you are more adept than one actually has any business thinking. 

First year I went I tried the shewee thing, had performance anxiety - just wasn't happening :lol:. Agreed pulling stuff to the side you are bound to get piss on your hands and well...everywhere.