The First Poster - 1 week on

SwedgeAntilles

6 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

For the fans maybe No surprises might be singalong but for everyone else no

I understand you are a Radiohead fan, I'm a Foos fan but you are miscalculating what a casual fan will know for sure...casual fan will only singalong for Creep, Just and Street spirit I can guarantee you that. I know they are great but don't assume everyone agrees or knows all their stuff

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't arguing whether Radiohead is great or not. I'm just saying that I think they have more familiar tunes to the average UK festival goers (specficially Glastonbury) - and yes, of course I don't think everyone knows all their stuff, that's why I specifically single out the songs that I believe most people would know. Maybe I'm wrong, but me being a Radiohead fan has nothing to do with it, it's just my own observations

15 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Maybe different depending on what age you are but I can't imagine many people under 25 who aren't Radiohead fans knowing much more, if any than some hits from the first three albums. 

Also all 16 songs (bonus tracks included!) from Ed Sheeran's album got in the top 20 of the charts the first week if I'm not mistaken so I reckon people who are even casual fans will know a large amount of his set.

Well I'm under 25, and at least in my circle of friends, In Rainbows is very very popular. Also, I'm pretty sure if you ask most people under 25 (majority of Ed's fanbase would be under that demographic) to name more than 3 songs from his new album, pretty sure most would not be able to :P

As I've said people don't really listen to album as a whole anymore. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is about 25 acts in the lineup now that I'd actually bother to give a go, and that's without comfortably I imagine another 10 time come, I'm not looking forward the clashes. 

When I know I have MSP, Liam, Bootleg Beatles, The Coral, Sophie Ellis Bextor and Status Quo to come.

I'm hoping for Dua Lipa, Feeder, Rancid.....very unlikely, and Richard Ashcroft obviously. I also think Imagine Dragons who I'd give a go again may turn up. 2/5 of the bottoms one's and I'd be happy enough.

I've resigned myself to Gaga not doing it or at least appearing somewhere I won't either hear about it or get to it as it'll be during FF or Sheeran in South Corner or something like that. I think she'll turn up properly to headline alongside Arctics in 2019 if it works out like that or 2020 depending how big her star is.

28 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't arguing whether Radiohead is great or not. I'm just saying that I think they have more familiar tunes to the average UK festival goers (specficially Glastonbury) - and yes, of course I don't think everyone knows all their stuff, that's why I specifically single out the songs that I believe most people would know. Maybe I'm wrong, but me being a Radiohead fan has nothing to do with it, it's just my own observations

Well I'm under 25, and at least in my circle of friends, In Rainbows is very very popular. Also, I'm pretty sure if you ask most people under 25 (majority of Ed's fanbase would be under that demographic) to name more than 3 songs from his new album, pretty sure most would not be able to :P

As I've said people don't really listen to album as a whole anymore. 

I guess it just depends who you know then, I only know about three people who actually like Radiohead and a hell of a lot more who like Ed Sheeran. I don't disagree with the albums aren't appreciated as much anymore sentiment but with stats like 16/20 of the singles chart being Ed Sheeran songs I think it's pretty clear that his new album would be fairly well known amongst that demographic, certainly moreso than Radiohead anyway. I don't think we'll ever agree on this though so may as well just agree to disagree.

Absolutely Must See: Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Royal Blood.

Definitely Want To See/Will Cause Clash Headache: The Flaming Lips, The National, Future Islands, Kaiser Chiefs, Circa Waves, Declan McKenna.

Would Ideally Like To See, More Likely To be Victim of Clashes: The Jacksons, Alt-J, Chic.

Would Check Out if Free/In Area: BSP, The XX, Father John Misty, First Aid Kit, The Lemon Twigs, Mark Lanegan, Justice, Girl Ray, All We Are, Phoenix.

Absolutely Must See

Definitely Want To See/Will Cause Clash Headache: Ride, The Avalanches, Haim, Royal Blood, BadBadNotGood, Sleaford Mods, Kris Kristofferson, First Aid Kid, Run The Jewels

Would Ideally Like To See, More Likely To be Victim of Clashes: Barry Gibbo, Craig David, Foo Fighters, Phoenix, Future Islands, Father John Misty, Toots & The Maytals

Would Check Out if Free/In Area: The Jacksons, Shaggy, Dizzee Rascal, Katy Perry

Would Certainly See If Added: Manic Street Preachers, Liam

Happiest When: Wandering around Green Fields, Mandala Stage, chatting to randoms about beards

(Have to YouTube loads of others on the lineup I don't recognise!)

17 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

When I saw Radiohead in 2009, I was pretty sure they'd play No Surprises, because it was the only one I;d ever heard of and thought it was their big hit. They didn't play it. Did play a cover of Maps by YYYs as I recall, I know that one.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

When I saw Radiohead in 2009, I was pretty sure they'd play No Surprises, because it was the only one I;d ever heard of and thought it was their big hit. They didn't play it. Did play a cover of Maps by YYYs as I recall, I know that one.

Certainly one of their biggest

http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28161/radiohead/

Only song to chart higher is Paranoid Android, and that's only by one place.

18 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I understand you are a Radiohead fan, I'm a Foos fan but you are miscalculating what a casual fan will know for sure...casual fan will only singalong for Creep, Just and Street spirit I can guarantee you that. I know they are great but don't assume everyone agrees or knows all their stuff

I'm 40, I down loaded all of ed's songs radio heads and the Foo fighters . I know more Foo fighters than anything else . 

54 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

No Surprises was massive when it came out. Remember it was used in an episode of the Royle Family? It's probably one of the few Radiohead songs my mum would be able to name. 

Probs because it's the only one where the human ear can actually discern the lyrics.

I tell you what I think of the first poster 1 week on, and I thought this at the time as well; the text formatting is rubbish. All the same size, loads of blank space at the sides, don't like it. To my eye, the old three columns is a much more pleasing design. Might opt for a different t-shirt this year.

Absolutely Must See:

Katy Pez, RTJ, Avalanches, Chic, Gibbo - which could be hard anyway cos KP and Ava. might be clashing regardless

Definitely Want To See/Will Cause Clash Headache:
The xx, Little Dragon, Glass Animals, Andersen Paak, The Jacksons, London Grammar, Slaves, Goldfrapp, Radiohead

Would Ideally Like To Say, More Likely To be Victim of Clashes:
Moderat, Radiohead, Metronomy, Foo Fighters, Toots and the Maytals, Slaves, Royal Blood

Would Check Out if Free/In Area:
Bonobo, The Flaming Lips, Dizzee Rascal, Emeli Sande, The National,

Thoughts up to now is that there's plenty to see already for me which is nice. Normally when there's a bad line up for me personally - like 2016 - the following year seems to be better. There's a lot I want to see and I'm hoping I'm up for the challenge of seeing everyone I want. Really scared that RTJ and Toots will be clashing, or RTJ and Avalanches. Or Katy P and someone. Just hope now there's a few more names to be dropped and we get a lot of the smaller stages coming out. Roll on May!

21 hours ago, defrio29 said:

I think so...

Let's see, this is what I think the songs that the average UK festival punters would most likely know from these acts:

Radiohead: Creep, No Surprise, Karma Police, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Street Spirit

Foo: Everlong, Best of You, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Pretender

Ed:  Thinking out loud, Photograph, Shape of You, A-Team, Sing

and I'm pretty sure stuff like Everything in its Right Place, 2+2 =5, There There are more familiar than say Monkey Wrench, Walk, Lego House or Galway Girl

This is a fun game. The scores are in from our Wirral jury:

Radiohead 3

Foos: 5

Ed: 2

Absolutely Must See:

Radiohead, Biffy Clyro, Justice

Katy Perry, The xx, Phoenix, Circa Waves, Alt-J, First Aid Kit, Haim, London Grammar

Would Ideally Like To See, More Likely To be Victim of Clashes:
Royal Blood, Ed Sheeran, The National, George Ezra, Rag'N'Bone Man, Kaiser Chiefs, Wild Beasts

Dizzee Rascal, Sleaford Mods, Future Islands, Craig David, Shaggy

Edited by 01seb

Absolutely Must See:
RTJ, Ani DiFranco, Gibbsy, Radiohead

Katy Perry, London Grammar, Justice, Wiley, Dizzee Rascal, Anderson .Paak & TFN, Solange, DJ Shadow

Would Ideally Like To See, More Likely To be Victim of Clashes:
Royal Blood, Craig David, Sasha & John Digweed, Moderat, Goldfrapp,The Jacksons, Kano

Ed Sheeran, Lorde, Shaggy, Laura Marling

I listened to Anderson Paaks album this past week and he is now a Must See for me, such good tunes. Therefore knowing my luck he will be a horrid clash with someone else now.

Has anyone managed to figure out a day or stage for him and the TFNs yet?

Edited by Familiar2billions

Absolute must-see: The Flaming Lips, The Jacksons.

Definitely want to see: Mark Lanegan, Chic, The Avalanches, Circa Waves, The National, Dizee, Alt-J, Royal Blood, Wild Beasts.

New finds: Phoenix, London Grammar, Moderat, Cinematic Orchestra

Top of the to be listened to list: The Can Project, The Moonlandingz, Anderson Paak, The Lemon Twigs, Badbadnotgood.

Observations: Was Phoenix singer in The Morning Benders? 

And Flaming Lips will have a very small crowd judging by these lists!!!