The First Poster - 1 week on

SwedgeAntilles

Radiohead had that sort of widespread, mainstream appeal but opted to plough their own artier furrow which narrowed their niche.  It was to the good of their art and their long term legacy, but your average spod ran out of goodwill towards them a while ago.  The general festival audience's appetite for King of Limbs album tracks is zilch.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The general festival audience's appetite for King of Limbs album tracks is zilch.

I like the album, but when they pull shit like having Exit Music on the written setlist and playing Give up the Ghost instead like they did the other night then I'm sure even hardcore fans appetites for that album go down the drain.

As far as the first poster a week on, must admit my heart sunk a little in not seeing the likes of A Tribe Called Quest, Gaga, and even Nine Inch Nails (even though those last two were always pretty big outside bets) and upon realising that we'd already sussed out the majority of the major acts on there, but that was fleeting and I soon realised the lineup is fantastic, and a week on (with some of the band placings figured out) it's looking even better to me, especially as two of my absolute must sees as acts that came out of absolutely nowhere (The National and Katy Perry):

MUST sees: Radiohead, The National, Katy Perry, Lorde, (and now that it looks like I might actually get to see them) Justice.

At least one of those could well be caught up in a clash with another. Tbh, there aren't that many acts on the lineup who I wouldn't at least check out if there was nothing else on - literally so much good stuff there - so I won't bother listing the rest as I'd quite literally be listing the rest. It's good stuff. I'm just dreading the clashes.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So are we hopeful of more names today then?

Possible poster 2?

Do we have reason for thinking today? Can't see us getting poster 2 this early on - end of the month at least - but Emily did mention more names coming weekly (or something) so possibly that.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Do we have reason for thinking today? Can't see us getting poster 2 this early on - end of the month at least - but Emily did mention more names coming weekly (or something) so possibly that.

Neil's guess was something more this week.

I am not sure if that was boxed off with blossoms & or Biffy / BBK being confirmed placings etc though.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything today particularly. 

And I'm taking a day off trying to work out who's playing when. It seems particularly baffling this year which just goes to show how delighted I am with the first poster. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There has been a daily drip feed of info this week tbf so it's not like there's not been anything new to chew over.

Mostly just been band placings/the usual info we get in previous years though rather than anything actually new. It'd be rather sneaky if she classed her talking to the NME about where Boy Better Know and Biffy are playing as actual new news/acts (can't remember what her actual wording was on the weekly info).

I'm still amazed at how good the line up is tbh. I think I counted 26 acts who were must sees/would love to sees. 

My big fear was that there would be big clashes with my main 5 must sees (Radiohead, The National, The XX, Flaming Lips and Justice). Now looking like I'll only have to miss The Lips. This may change obviously. 

After that there's a nice "would love to see" list. Angel Olsen, RTJ, Glass Animals, Chic, Right Bazza, K-Pez, Stormzy, Royal Blood, Future Islands, Temples, Joe Goddard. 

Sure I'll have to miss some of them but that's the way it goes. 

Main discovery has been Phoenix. Hoping they don't clash! 

All in all, very happy. Strongest line up I've ever had. 

Seeing as it's Friday, there's no-one in the office and I'm bored shitless, I've thought - "you know, I should make a list, I love lists"

In order of (or as close to as possible) must-see-ability (top 20):

Radiohead, Justice, Katy Perry, The XX, The Jacksons, Barry Gibb, Run the Jewels, London Grammar, Loyle Carner, The National, Declan Mckenna, Glass Animals, The Avalaches, Moderat, Sampha, Anderson Paak, Toots, BBK, Kano, The Cinematic Orchestra.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, defrio29 said:

Yeah I get that, but add to the fact that the social media reception of their announcement have been great, and they are still a very popular group throughout all age groups, I don't get why people would think they wouldn't draw. I'm pretty sure the average UK music festival punters are more familiar with Radiohead songs than they do of Foo Fighters or Ed Sheeran songs

Really :huh: I doubt that tbh

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Really :huh: I doubt that tbh

I think so...

Let's see, this is what I think the songs that the average UK festival punters would most likely know from these acts:

Radiohead: Creep, No Surprise, Karma Police, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Street Spirit

Foo: Everlong, Best of You, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Pretender

Ed:  Thinking out loud, Photograph, Shape of You, A-Team, Sing

and I'm pretty sure stuff like Everything in its Right Place, 2+2 =5, There There are more familiar than say Monkey Wrench, Walk, Lego House or Galway Girl

4 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I think so...

Let's see, this is what I think the songs that the average UK festival punters would most likely know from these acts:

Radiohead: Creep, No Surprise, Karma Police, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Street Spirit

and I'm pretty sure stuff like Everything in its Right Place, 2+2 =5, There There are more familiar than say Monkey Wrench, Walk, Lego House or Galway Girl

I love Radiohead but disagree with this completely. Not a chance the average person at Glastonbury knows Radiohead songs that weren't on OK Computer or The Bends better than Galway Girl or Castle On the Hill. I reckon stuff like Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call, Times Like These etc are considerably more well known than most Radiohead songs too.

15 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I think so...

I'm going to have to disagree

I go to festivals all the time but only a casual Radiohead fan and don't recognize No surprise - we are talking casual fan festival goer and Ed will win this one for sure (I don't dislike the bloke but won't be watching)

Radiohead - Agree with all except No Surprise

Foos - All my life, learn to Fly. Times like these, My Hero, Pretender, Best of you, Everlong, These Days, Monkey wrench

Ed - I think we miscalculate the guys popularity, he will go down a storm

Look I'm not disputing Radiohead will be nothing but amazing, but I am disputing how much people/casual fans/Festival folk who are not fan boys will know about them past OK Computer era

Edited by shoptildrop

8 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I go to festivals all the time but only a casual Radiohead fan and don't recognize No surprise - we are talking casual fan festival goer and Ed will win this one for sure (I don't dislike the bloke but won't be watching)

Foos - All my life, learn to Fly. Times like these, My Hero, Pretender, Best of you, Everlong, These Days, Monkey wrench

Look I'm not disputing Radiohead will be nothing but amazing, but I am disputing how much people/casual fans/Festival folk who are not fan boys will know about them past OK Computer era

Are you sure you don't know this song?

BTW, I've no idea who's better known. I rarely speak to young people.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

45 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

I think so...

Well this is a fun game. I'm an old bird and know all the Radiohead and the Foos there and only Shape of You from Mr Sheeran. Do I win a prize? 

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I love Radiohead but disagree with this completely. Not a chance the average person at Glastonbury knows Radiohead songs that weren't on OK Computer or The Bends better than Galway Girl or Castle On the Hill. I reckon stuff like Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call, Times Like These etc are considerably more well known than most Radiohead songs too.

stuff like Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call, Times Like These more familiar than 2+2, Everything, There There? I really doubt that

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Sure, Ed's name is MASSIVE, but the thing with today's younger folks is that, apart from the big singles, there's not a lot of people that really listen to the rest of the album (short attention span and all that) 

and surely the casual glastonbury punter is familiar with No Surprises. If they play it, it'll be a massive sing along for sure 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you sure you don't know this song?

BTW, I've no idea who's better known. I rarely speak to young people.

Nope never heard of it and I'm not a casual festival attendee either, but don't know much of Radiohead outside the 90s hits

6 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

stuff like Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call, Times Like These more familiar than 2+2, Everything, There There? I really doubt that

Sure, Ed's name is MASSIVE, but the thing with today's younger folks is that, apart from the big singles, there's not a lot of people that really listen to the rest of the album (short attention span and all that) 

and surely the casual glastonbury punter is familiar with No Surprises. If they play it, it'll be a massive sing along for sure 

Maybe different depending on what age you are but I can't imagine many people under 25 who aren't Radiohead fans knowing much more, if any than some hits from the first three albums. 

Also all 16 songs (bonus tracks included!) from Ed Sheeran's album got in the top 20 of the charts the first week if I'm not mistaken so I reckon people who are even casual fans will know a large amount of his set.

16 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

For the fans maybe No surprises might be singalong but for everyone else no

I understand you are a Radiohead fan, I'm a Foos fan but you are miscalculating what a casual fan will know for sure...casual fan will only singalong for Creep, Just and Street spirit I can guarantee you that. I know they are great but don't assume everyone agrees or knows all their stuff

Edited by shoptildrop

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Maybe different depending on what age you are but I can't imagine many people under 25 who aren't Radiohead fans knowing much more, if any than some hits from the first three albums. 

Also all 16 songs (bonus tracks included!) from Ed Sheeran's album got in the top 20 of the charts the first week if I'm not mistaken so I reckon people who are even casual fans will know a large amount of his set.

Exactly... I'm not watching Ed myself but reckon he'll have crowd singing along well for sure

15 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Nope never heard of it and I'm not a casual festival attendee either, but don't know much of Radiohead outside the 90s hits

I'm surprised by that I must say. It is one of the nineties hits. Went to number 4 in 1998. 

And regarding singalongs, you can probably add Karma Police to the list. It's about as singalongy as they get.

Edit: as a fan myself, I'm obviously going to overestimate their popularity, but you may have something of a blind spot for the band. No Surprises is not one of their obscure tunes. I could only name My Hero by The Foos if any of those other hits were played to me, they've just never interested me. I'm not disputing that casual fans wouldn't know them, I just think you're not a casual fan of Radiohead, they've just never interested you. Which is fine, but we're probably both unable to speak for casual fans of either band.

Edited by stuartbert two hats