The Major Lazer Lads

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I thought maybe I was missing something, and I see people on these boards had mentioned 'Lean on', a song I was hitherto unaware of. So I found a live version of it from a festival last year. Man, that is proper awful.

I don't just mean that as shorthand for 'young people's music I don't understand', cos you know, in 2014, I was there shouting with everyone else 'Come back on Skrillex, and carry on playing!'.

Honestly though this is proper pony 

It sounded even worse in person at Lovebox last year. One of the worst things I've seen live.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I thought maybe I was missing something, and I see people on these boards had mentioned 'Lean on', a song I was hitherto unaware of. So I found a live version of it from a festival last year. Man, that is proper awful.

I don't just mean that as shorthand for 'young people's music I don't understand', cos you know, in 2014, I was there shouting with everyone else 'Come back on Skrillex, and carry on playing!'.

That was fine.  In fact, I quite enjoyed it, even if the end bit reminded me of this:

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Jesus, she coudl do with a square meal and a cup of horlicks

Edit - also the singing lessons, the mulitiple, multiple singing lessons

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

15 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Jesus, she coudl do with a square meal and a cup of horlicks

Edit - also the singing lessons, the mulitiple, multiple singing lessons

Just a thought, as someone who has a friend that nearly died from anorexia, body shaming thin people is no less cool than body shaming the overweight.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Just a thought, as someone who has a friend that nearly died from anorexia, body shaming thin people is no less cool than body shaming the overweight.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone mate, just meant by the sound of her hoarse voice and gaunt appearance, she could actually do with a square meal and a good nights sleep

Just now, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Wasn't trying to offend anyone mate, just meant by the sound of her hoarse voice and gaunt appearance, she could actually do with a square meal and a good nights sleep

No, I know.  It's something I have done in the past, without really thinking through how someone reading my comments could be affected.

They had some excellent stuff out to begin with but they've turned their talents towards homogeneous chart hits.  Cold Water was abysmal, the new one, Run Up, is even worse.

I saw them at Reading Festival in 2013 (I think) and didn't enjoy it.  It just felt like a standard night out in your local town centre Walkabout/Oceania type dive.   Those Sean Paul, Fatman Scoop, Usher singles you hear week in, week out coupled with a man shouting at you to put your hands in the air or take your t shirt off.  Hard pass.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, I know.  It's something I have done in the past, without really thinking through how someone reading my comments could be affected.

I see your point, yeah - my first serious girlfriend at uni had an eating disorder, actually tried to commit suicide twice about it - but how else are you meant to tell someone they need to eat more other than saying 'you need to have more food inside of your body'? We used to talk about it for hours but it always came down to the fact that she needed to improve her relationship with food and basically eat more. It's direct, but it's still true. It's not like shaming, but factual, more than anything

Just now, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I see your point, yeah - my first serious girlfriend at uni had an eating disorder, actually tried to commit suicide twice about it - but how else are you meant to tell someone they need to eat more other than saying 'you need to have more food inside of your body'? We used to talk about it for hours but it always came down to the fact that she needed to improve her relationship with food and basically eat more. It's direct, but it's still true. It's not like shaming, but factual, more than anything

I wish I knew.  My friend eventually got better by herself, which is ultimately the only way you can.  No idea what the cause was, no idea what the solution was, not really. My only thoughts is that by showing people respect, you can hope that they'll find it in themselves to show themselves respect and as a consequence, improve their relationship with food.

Sorry for taking the thread off track!

5 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I'm surprised noonehas mentioned their number 2 Saturday night slot at west Holts in 2013. Absolutely fantastic. 

This! It was fantastic and I'm your typical indie loving sort, but I totally enjoyed the party atmosphere. Have no idea if anything was played live, it looked like a DJ set with dancers and MCs whipping the crowd up, but it worked a treat. Great fun.

......and the did play Get Free and Pom de Floor.

Aw bum - I really like the first album, it's loads of fun - based on that alone I'd kind of pencilled them in as a probable headliner for me. I'll bung on the other albums and research the live stuff a bit more but it doesn't look good so far 

Edited by balti-pie

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

Morbid curiosity made me hit play. My poor dog just ran out of the room. 

The appeal is trying to recreate the vibe of some sort of tropical soundclash or carnival in a favela or shanty town in Rio or Havana or Soweto or some other groovy part of the world.

The Blues is doing something similar, and I'm pretty into it - but I am a wee bit wary of this being more of a glorified Diplo PA with t-shirt cannons and not much going on musically other than a barrage of airhorns.

Even if yer a bit nope about the idea of soundsystems blasting out generic club tracks and obeying hype men; surely everyone will be too fucked to give a toss about the technical skills on show? Especially if it's Friday.

Besides, you could possibly track down footage of some early hours entertainment you vaguely remember dancing to in SH or the SE corner and it won't translate when sat at your desk on Monday morning.