What do you get from Glastonbury?

Simpo

For me the truly special thing about glastonbury is it gives me a sense of the creativity and good of humanity.

My fondest memories are bimbling about at night and passing by countless random tents/knooks and seeing people having an the time of their lives in an entirely different setting from people 20M walk away.. always wish I could experience every single persons unique night. There's nothing linear about this place, which is why people return year after year. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because I'm in a fucking fantastic mood this morning...

Choose a festival.  Choose a stage.  Choose a group of like-minded friends.  Choose a 5 day hangover.  Choose a dose of the fucking fear like you won’t believe.  Choose the heebie-jeebies, sleep paralysis, a new tent and camping chairs on a Monday morning. Choose scrofula, an eight day beard and kicky legs. Choose being inside with no barriers, no fences, no checks, no arena and no restrictions. Choose blisters and Glastonbury Toe.  Choose a total failure of your digestive system.  Choose dry spittle on your cheeks and sleeping bag from gurning during the wee hours. Choose getting so wasted that you piss yourself in front of strangers standing next to a bin without even realising that they’re watching and laughing at you. Choose hitting the South East Corner and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning.  Choose sitting in that field watching spirit-lifting, mind-expanding performance art, stuffing fucking No Bones Jones into your mouth.  Choose resetting your equilibrium at the end of it all, heading home ready to spend the next 360 days discussing it on an internet forum, nothing more than an embarrassment to the people who’ve never been and have no idea what you’re on about.  Choose your future. Choose Glastonbury.

Edited by Quark

Exhaustion and the fear on another level - last year I also managed to get a kidney infection and a 7 day course of antibiotics - a nice souvenir.

But it is worth it, as I've almost certainly just had the best 5 days of my year and some of the best days of my life.

I spend far too much time talking about Glastonbury to be honest, I'm sure I bore people to tears with it but I look forward to it all year and then I'm depressed for a good few weeks after.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just because I'm in a fucking fantastic mood this morning...

Choose a festival.  Choose a stage.  Choose a group of like-minded friends.  Choose a 5 day hangover.  Choose a dose of the fucking fear like you won’t believe.  Choose the heebie-jeebies, sleep paralysis, a new tent and camping chairs on a Monday morning. Choose scrofula, an eight day beard and kicky legs. Choose being inside with no barriers, no fences, no checks, no arena and no restrictions. Choose blisters and Glastonbury Toe.  Choose a total failure of your digestive system.  Choose dry spittle on your cheeks and sleeping bag from gurning during the wee hours. Choose getting so wasted that you piss yourself in front of strangers standing next to a bin without even realising that they’re watching and laughing at you. Choose hitting the South East Corner and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning.  Choose sitting in that field watching spirit-lifting, mind-expanding performance art, stuffing fucking No Bones Jones into your mouth.  Choose resetting your equilibrium at the end of it all, heading home ready to spend the next 360 days discussing it on an internet forum, nothing more than an embarrassment to the people who’ve never been and have no idea what you’re on about.  Choose your future. Choose Glastonbury.

Thanks for this, excellent work, feeling terrible this morning and it really made me smile. 
Charm x

On 4/1/2017 at 10:37 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

A dose of the fear like you wouldn't believe.

This. Laying in your tent on the Sunday morning overhearing your friend's talking about you saying "I think he's going through a pretty rough time at the moment" and wondering what the hell happened the previous night.

What do I get from Glastonbury.... The main thing would be a reminder that people aren't all that bad and that they can get along and tolerate each other, even in the most trying of conditions.

It is a bit of saccahrine thing to say but Glasto restores my faith in humanity, which to be perfectly honest I could with right now. This will be my sixth Glastonbury and I have yet to get really irritated by anyone at the festival. As the most tout-proof festival there is, you know that everyone really wants to be there. I really can escape the 'real world' for a week when i'm on the farm.

Awful cliché....but it honestly is my idea of heaven.

Slow mid summer sunset , Tor in the background, happy funny people listening to awesome music, everyone tripping....I have no idea why anyone would not go if they had the chance....what the fuck is a better option?

Radiohead on Friday night will basically be the ceremony of spiritual renewal that the planet has been calling  out for.

The sleep paralysis, fear, paranoia, terrible hangover/come down and post glasto depression is all worth it.

I love the year build up, anticipation of the line up, fear over not getting tickets

But nothing beats the 5 days of totally amazement, fun, laughs, dancing, drunkenness, shit talking, friend making that this beautiful festival gives each and every person that passes through its gates........

I bloody LOVE the farm.