Lorde

jyoung

On 7/1/2022 at 1:23 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Revisiting the Solar Power album and its immediately striking how much more vibrant the live versions of songs like The Path and California are than the studio versions.

She needs to do a live album.

Wasn't a fan of the album when it came out but gone back to it since seeing her Glastonbury set and find myself enjoying it a lot more. 

The front may well have been waiting for the headliner and that would affect the vibe. 
Where I was it felt fine, & people were into it, but there was an overall flatness permeating from somewhere for most of the set.

49 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Honestly I was at the front pit and it was the worse crowd of the weekend. I was expecting a much better vibe around and people was mainly off.

Exactly this - It was the only Pyramid set I got into the pit for as I was looking forward to it so much .... and also ended up easily my worst set of the weekend.  Was nearly going to leave early but knew supercut > perfect places > green light were still to come

48 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perfect Places and Green Light are both better.

Both huge, but Supercut gives me that beautiful nostalgic sadness that only a few tunes manage ❤️

It's a shame we probably wont see Lorde back on the farm for who knows how long now. Feel like the only other slot she could play is OS headliner at this point? 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

All the confirmation we need that it slaps.

That probably would have justified my decision had I been at the festival this year to leave early on Sunday. I've got a ticket to the union chapel for Jack White so maybe a bit easier to say now but I don't think even waiting all day on the Sunday to see him and then Lorde would have made me stay. I'd have already gone and walked around Shangri-La etc on Saturday as all I had until Olivia was catching some of Carl Cox's Glade set, the rest of Saturday was dead for me.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

There was a clip of Stoned In The Nail Salon on the iPlayer that I watched and it's just lovely.

One of the absolute highlights of my festival.  Just so chill and Arlo and Clairos vocals really made it for me.  I'd been gutted that Arlo was one of the artists who I missed due to clashes and at least getting to see her guest with Phoebe and Lorde was some consolation.

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

One of the absolute highlights of my festival.  Just so chill and Arlo and Clairos vocals really made it for me.  I'd been gutted that Arlo was one of the artists who I missed due to clashes and at least getting to see her guest with Phoebe and Lorde was some consolation.

Some very nice vibes, which is what Sunday evenings at Glasto seem to be about.

• 4 weeks later...

My son and I were discussing the set last night, which was much, much better than I had expected following a tepid reception to the new album.  Like she said, Sunday evening, warm summer sunshine and the music was the perfect mood so songs that hadn't really landed for me in context of the album sounded great in the set she played and looking back the new songs were amongst the highlights of the set.

I'd been gutted to miss her in 2017 as that set was insane, but to be honest I had a great night at the big pointy stage that year so it was good to have this as a consolation.  The crowd was surprisingly thin, which also allowed me to get nice and close for a great view surrounded by enthusiastic people.  Definitely one of the highlight gigs for me, with Stoned at the nail salon being probably my glastonbury 'moment' for this year (although there were so many that it's hard to separate them).

I thought she was great, what I find interesting is some of her “classics” have that nostalgic feeling when you hear them. Ribs especially. I think a lot of her earlier material will live long in peoples minds.

All she needs now is to release a solid follow up to solar power and the damage from SP will be forgotten. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hasn't she already pretty much said that the mixed reception to Solar Power caught her out a bit and so she's already working hard on some new bangers.

Yup, mentioned in a recent edition of that newsletter thing she does that she’s been working on new stuff and iirc she said it’s more bangers, less stoney acoustic strummers. Not expecting her to rush release anything any time soon, but maybe end of next year/start of ‘24 instead of the four year album cycle she’s been doing thus far.