Lorde

jyoung

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Excellent effort! Didn’t expect this to be the highest charting record of her career but fair play. Fully on course for a lovely sunset slot on the Pyramid full of bangers and chilled summer vibes. 

You didn't expect an act you're touting to sub the Pyramid to clear the previous peak of no. 4?

Highest charting record of her career in the UK is one way to look at it. Another way is the worst first week sales of her career and the worst reviewed album of her career.

The sun is going down on the hopes of a sunset slot. And her career in general, probably - if she was gonna live life as a critical darling she'd have needed to keep the critics on board.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

You didn't expect an act you're touting to sub the Pyramid to clear the previous peak of no. 4?

Highest charting record of her career in the UK is one way to look at it. Another way is the worst first week sales of her career and the worst reviewed album of her career.

The sun is going down on the hopes of a sunset slot. And her career in general, probably - if she was gonna live life as a critical darling she'd have needed to keep the critics on board.

I don’t think one semi-dud album is gonna derail her too much, but she’s gonna need the next one to be much better, and possibly even written/released quicker. All well and good having a four year gap after a hit album but maybe not so much when people have already gotten bored of this one; I suspect a tumble down the charts from here.

And I’d softened my view of her subbing already but now I really can’t see it. Third down Pyramid seems just right for her imo and I’d be surprised if she’s higher than that.

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think one semi-dud album is gonna derail her too much, but she’s gonna need the next one to be much better, and possibly even written/released quicker. All well and good having a four year gap after a hit album but maybe not so much when people have already gotten bored of this one; I suspect a tumble down the charts from here.

And I’d softened my view of her subbing already but now I really can’t see it. Third down Pyramid seems just right for her imo and I’d be surprised if she’s higher than that.

Another album in a couple of years? She'll be on QVC selling her healing crystals by then.

I’m sure there are a lot of examples but I’m drawing a blank on the last time a major artist like Lorde answered such massive hype and potential with such a dull nothing whimper of an album. Trying to think of what those other acts did next/whether they recovered but really can’t think of any who did it in such a boring, not even ‘hilariously bad’ kind of way. 

After a week of letting it marinate, I think the first 6 tracks are great. If this was an ep and it ended there, I’d call it a total winner. It just limps to a finish which is a shame. For an album that’s very much a departure, I think it’s a solid effort and landing at #2 is great. The Path, Solar Power and Fallen Fruit are up there with her best work.

Looking forward to seeing how it translates live. I saw her do a piano version of Green Light recently and started to panic a bit, but she’s still doing the normal version which is a relief. 

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Kanye has released a sequence of wet farts post Yeezus?

Although Melodrama > Yeezus and Solar Power > Kanye’s last 3 records

First off, I won’t stand for this TLOP slander.

Second, Kanye already had an insane track record before he started to release mediocre projects so not really the same. Regardless of if his last couple of albums have been crap, he released a LOT of what people would consider the best albums in his genre, so people will keep hyping his next project hoping for a return. Pure Heroine was great, and Melodrama was better, but Lorde shouldn’t be releasing flops this early on, especially one that’s just so… unadventurous. Be one thing if she tried something mental and it just didn’t work, but she tried nothing and we’re supposed to be surprised that the reaction is just… eh?

Third, Solar Power and Yeezus at the same level?! Getouttahere! 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

First off, I won’t stand for this TLOP slander.

Second, Kanye already had an insane track record before he started to release mediocre projects so not really the same. Regardless of if his last couple of albums have been crap, he released a LOT of what people would consider the best albums in his genre, so people will keep hyping his next project hoping for a return. Pure Heroine was great, and Melodrama was better, but Lorde shouldn’t be releasing flops this early on, especially one that’s just so… unadventurous. Be one thing if she tried something mental and it just didn’t work, but she tried nothing and we’re supposed to be surprised that the reaction is just… eh?

Third, Solar Power and Yeezus at the same level?! Getouttahere! 

Sorry, I meant Melodrama was better than Yeezus, and Solar Power was better than his last three records. Yeezus is better than Solar Power for sure.

My tongue was firmly in cheek anyway 😉 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't think can be ruled out from returning sub the Other stage again to be honest. But given that most listens are generated by Spotify etc I think she needed a number 1 to get a sub slot.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

After a week of letting it marinate, I think the first 6 tracks are great. If this was an ep and it ended there, I’d call it a total winner. It just limps to a finish which is a shame. For an album that’s very much a departure, I think it’s a solid effort and landing at #2 is great. The Path, Solar Power and Fallen Fruit are up there with her best work.

Looking forward to seeing how it translates live. I saw her do a piano version of Green Light recently and started to panic a bit, but she’s still doing the normal version which is a relief. 

Think I'm with you on this after a week as well. I still think it's a bit of a vibe, and the highs are very high, but then the rest I just feel nothing towards. 

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Are you including Mood Ring in that summary? 

Because it’s a fucking vibe. 

Other than that you’re spot on. I like the start and then it drifts into nothingness until MR.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think can be ruled out from returning sub the Other stage again to be honest. But given that most listens are generated by Spotify etc I think she needed a number 1 to get a sub slot.

Do you need a #1 album to sub? Tame Impala never had one, The National never had one (SWB came out after they subbed), Vampire Weekend never had one…

22 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Are you including Mood Ring in that summary? 

Because it’s a fucking vibe. 

Other than that you’re spot on. I like the start and then it drifts into nothingness until MR.

Extremely good point. MR is the hugest of vibes, I keep forgetting it's the penultimate tune.