Lorde

jyoung

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I reckon she's still on course for Pyramid, toss-up between 3rd and 2nd. Depends who else they have.

She'll get a good crowd, although probably smaller than Ellie/Miley/Katy playing the same sort of position in years past. Lorde's just not a pure hitmaker to the same degree — but then, neither are Vampire Weekend or Haim or The National.

Depends if you see it as a middling slot for an alt-leaning popstar, or a solid slot for a pop-friendly alt darling.

3rd pyramid I can accept. She might actually be the option for Friday like lauryn hill was. Or it's other sub again but not heaflineror sub pyramid. See i think VW early on did. I also think they were struggling for that slot 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah, she was still feeding off the hype of Royals/Pure Heroine and had just released a very critically acclaimed album, plus she had an incredible stage show along with her. Other sub was just right. Only reason her crowd may not have been ginormous was because The xx who no doubt share a very similar fanbase were on at exactly the same time. A frustrating clash that one. 

I don't see the hype behind Royals but that's me.

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Noel and Liam write fairly generic indie/rock and have done for years. They haven’t written anything “working man” since Morning Glory. Similarly Arctic Monkeys dropped the “chip shop rock” after two albums…

The issue is that after a couple of successful albums you aren’t relatable to normal people anymore. You’re living a completely different life to the one you started out writing about. To keep doing so just feel inauthentic.

Lorde has had success and as a result her life probably does involve lounging around on a beach getting stoned all day, so she’s writing about it… it just isn’t very interesting.

Yeah good point - I do think tho even in Liam’s / Noel’s recent stuff (no idea why I’m using them as an example but we will run with it) there’s still some relatability to people who are nothing like them. I guess the subject matters aren’t totally out there - saw a comment that Lorde’s new album is like MLM advert and I can’t help but laugh.

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

One thing with Lorde too going back to her first slot, a sub on Other was too high back then. She didn't ram that Other stage out either. 

It was a highly competitive evening. My group tried to see a bit of XX / Lorde and get there in time for Radiohead. It was difficult.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Cornerstone is very much the outlier on that record. The rest is Homme inspired desert rock.

Yup. I only like about 4 Queens songs max so fair to say they don't do it for me.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

This was an undoubtable factor, yeah. A straight shoot between two Millennial/Zoomer favs who overlap massively in sound and appeal. Can add a good 5-10,000 extra to Lorde's crowd if she was up against, idk, Elvis Costello.

I caught the last 10 of Lorde but didn't even consider The XX. Pretty sure i was coming from avalon.

7 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, it's this really. She's in love with the barefoot, carefree, seashells & spliffs, herbal essences version of herself. A good deal of the audience is nonplussed (and don't have the present freedom to live that life at all).

Ironically, Solar Power might have done a lot better in 2018 and the highly descriptive, fried-but-surviving/thriving energy of Melodrama might have met 2021's pandemic mood in unexpected ways. Ho hum.

Spot on this. 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Alternatively, new acts don't have to deal with the preconceptions and scrutiny of a fanbase who think they know better than the artist what they should be doing.

Exactly my point, leave those preconceptions and fanbase scrutiny at the door and judge a release on its own merits. 😉

This one ain’t for me, but for others it’ll hit the mark.

1 hour ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Stoned at the nail salon is a good song. Some nice tracks to open up too.

How did Secrets From a Girl make it onto any album without one person going 'erm...maybe this isn't worthy?'

Yeah Stoned at the Nail Salon is the real highlight for me - got a lot of time for that one. 

Agree about Secrets From a Girl. Sounds so half written and the definition of a filler track (that unfortunately starts a run of other filler tracks).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Trailing O-Rod in the midweeks.

I’m not surprised really. I don’t have a fucking clue how album sales/streaming works these days, but I can’t imagine this is an album people are constantly returning to and driving streaming numbers up with. It was hyped right up until it’s day of release, there were tons of conversations about it’s worth and whether it was gonna be classed as misunderstood etc, and then nothing because people seemingly moved on immediately.

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Trailing O-Rod in the midweeks.

Is it the vinyl release which has moved Sour back to 1? If you told me a year ago that a new breakout Disney star would block Lorde’s third album from going #1 in the UK I wouldn’t believe you.

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is it the vinyl release which has moved Sour back to 1? If you told me a year ago that a new breakout Disney star would block Lorde’s third album from going #1 in the UK I wouldn’t believe you.

Yep. I said that was gonna be the case in the u.s., so that surely could apply to the uk. Then itll get interesting with Halsey releasing this week and then Kacey a couple weeks after and Lorde kinda just got stuck in a minefield.

Edited by Suprefan

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yep. I said that was gonna be the case in the u.s., so that surely could apply to the uk. Then itll get interesting with Halsey releasing this week and then Kacey a couple weeks after and Lorde kinda just got stuck in a minefield.

Such a shame. This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I thought it was going to smash it.

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Such a shame. This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I thought it was going to smash it.

Barring any surprise releases or debuts that blow me away, it was probably the last contender to knock Wolf Alice off the top of my AOTY list. Think Ellie and the lads have it sown up now.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

U.S. chart preview for the moment. I mean if its 95,000 vinyls that destroys Billie's record. Also, Halsey is looking for #1 right after if Kanye doesnt do anything with Donda. But thats  another factor, Drake or Kanye can announce at the drop of a hat and will be at the top the next week. the crazy number is Aaliyah sold 11,000 cd's. The vinyl reissues dont come out til January.

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_111214883244.png

Edited by Suprefan

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Lorde on track for her best charting album yet, and 70/8.7 scores on metacritic.

Have we got a new definition of flop that I missed?

Dental is the new arbiter or flops or not.

Like a Roman emperor he raises his thump up or down and flop status is decreed. 

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Like 1