Lorde

jyoung

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

A crude test when an artist does something a little bit different is to ask yourself: if you heard this from a nobody newcomer, would you still give a shit?

Alternatively, new acts don't have to deal with the preconceptions and scrutiny of a fanbase who think they know better than the artist what they should be doing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I liked the album on first listen but this tweet nails the reaction:

Nah. I don't think anyone here - or anywhere - was expecting her to become Lil Kim because of a candid shot of her ass at the beach on the front cover.

The theme was clear from the start. Even if you only had a passing interest, an album/song called 'Solar Power' and a video of her hanging out at the beach with her friends gave you the gist.

Guess it just turned out nobody finds Lorde's current phase in life as interesting as she does.

I enjoyed this, but I think that’s because it hit at just the right time and I was in the right space for it. It’s one of those I’d play when I particularly feel that vibe, more than just sticking it on whenever. I enjoyed it more than Happier Than Ever. 

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon this album isn’t going #1 in both the US and the UK.

Not here especially with Olivia Rodrigo releasing the vinyl version of Sour this week. So couple that with the streaming numbers and at best #4 if it can outperform Billie and Doja Cat who is going number 1 this week, too. Also the big wrench thrown in here is One in a Million from Aaliyah being put onto streaming and a whole generation of people will want to listen to an album they had to seek out before this.

25 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Dumbest fucking shit in the world, christ what a boring and ignorant narrative. People out here acting like the guy didn't produce NFR and Melodrama...

I do agree that this whole narrative about him needing to be cancelled from producing pop singers or whatever is getting a bit silly, but you can’t deny that the albums he’s produced/written for lately - Lorde, Lana, St Vincent, Clairo, his own shit, and even Taylor - have all started to sound a bit samey and stale. Obviously it’s worked pretty damn well for a couple of them, but the quick succession of them coming out a couple of months apart for like a year now has really begun to show the guy up as a one trick pony, or at least a guy really hung up on a particular vibe right now. Not to say that he’s had total control over these records and perhaps this is just what everybody wants to sound like right now, but when every pop singer begins to sound like they’ve written their new albums whilst stoned out of their minds, you’ve gotta start looking for the constant. 

Edited by FloorFiller
Words
  • Like 1