Lorde

jyoung

56 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I like it but gotta agree with @jparx that she’s gone full Lana with this one, title and all. Still hoping there’s some semblance of a banger or something more upbeat on the album. 

Dude these girls need to slow down with the jack antonoff because he's just remaking his own songs at this point.

58 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I like it but gotta agree with @jparx that she’s gone full Lana with this one, title and all. Still hoping there’s some semblance of a banger or something more upbeat on the album. 

I don't think there is - early leaks said this is the tone of the whole record. Only dua lipa is making bangers nowadays 😉 

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dude these girls need to slow down with the jack antonoff because he's just remaking his own songs at this point.

I don’t think it’s really that much to do with Jack. The dude has been responsible for such a ridiculous variety of tunes, you can’t really say he has a particular sound that he’s applying to everyone he works with. I suspect it’s more three of the people he’s currently working with have all landed on wanting to do this sort of sound. We know he can produce all sorts of different stuff (Look What You Made Me Do for one…) and I don’t think he has a particular signature like most other producers. It’s not his fault Lorde has clearly tried to make a LDR song! From the lyrics and title you can tell that was the intention even without Jack producing it.

46 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don’t think it’s really that much to do with Jack. The dude has been responsible for such a ridiculous variety of tunes, you can’t really say he has a particular sound that he’s applying to everyone he works with. I suspect it’s more three of the people he’s currently working with have all landed on wanting to do this sort of sound. We know he can produce all sorts of different stuff (Look What You Made Me Do for one…) and I don’t think he has a particular signature like most other producers. It’s not his fault Lorde has clearly tried to make a LDR song! From the lyrics and title you can tell that was the intention even without Jack producing it.

I don't really believe that sorry - this sounds like an instrumental he wrote for chemtrails lana didn't want so he gave it to lorde. The instrumental fits the whole theme of chemtrails. 

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't really believe that sorry - this sounds like an instrumental he wrote for chemtrails lana didn't want so he gave it to lorde. The instrumental fits the whole theme of chemtrails. 

No need to apologise mate 😀

I’ve seen people on Twitter moaning about how Jack is ruining Lorde. I’m pretty sure she knows what direction she wants her sound to go in and would reject any ideas she didn’t like during their collaboration/co-writing? Maybe I’m biased as I like Jack/Bleachers…

4 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve seen people on Twitter moaning about how Jack is ruining Lorde. I’m pretty sure she knows what direction she wants her sound to go in and would reject any ideas she didn’t like during their collaboration/co-writing? Maybe I’m biased as I like Jack/Bleachers…

The guy has produced some of the best records of the last decade, covering all sorts of styles. He’s one of the MVPs of the last decade of pop music. Bizarre people are starting to turn on him. 

And as you say, Lorde will have known what sound she was after on this record. Jack’s job is to help her realise that vision and refine it, which he’s an absolute genius at doing.

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

It's decent, but can't see (m)any of the singles charting very well/being very popular beyond her fanbase if they all sound like this.

What majority of the pop girls are doing nowadays aside from Dua Lipa.

Why do people love to talk about Jack Antonoff whenever a new song comes out anyway? Taylor Swift albums and Lorde albums and Lana Del Rey albums all sound different because each are their own albums that the artist leads on. Antonoff is just adept at putting their ideas into songs, not guiding them.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why do people love to talk about Jack Antonoff whenever a new song comes out anyway? Taylor Swift albums and Lorde albums and Lana Del Rey albums all sound different because each are their own albums that the artist leads on. Antonoff is just adept at putting their ideas into songs, not guiding them.

Because he’s the hot producer of the moment with a pretty strong track record. He’s helped shaped some pretty ‘of the moment’ sounds and his influence is becoming quite noticeable.

We are allowed to critique artists and producers we enjoy. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because he’s the hot producer of the moment with a pretty strong track record. He’s helped shaped some pretty ‘of the moment’ sounds and his influence is becoming quite noticeable.

What is his influence? What is his trademark sound? What did he add to the albums of these artists that didn’t exist in their work before?

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Personally I feel like the discourse might be a bit more misogynistic than that... As if Lorde isn't in charge of the direction of her music and its just Jack deciding what kind of songs she is singing... (could also just be a case of stans not believing that Lorde could make a just alright song too so trying to push the blame onto Jack)

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

What is his influence? What is his trademark sound? What did he add to the albums of these artists that didn’t exist in their work before?

I'd say if anything his signature sound is his synth basslines (see My Tears Ricochet), but even then he doesnt use it that frequently...

59 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Personally I feel like the discourse might be a bit more misogynistic than that... As if Lorde isn't in charge of the direction of her music and its just Jack deciding what kind of songs she is singing... (could also just be a case of stans not believing that Lorde could make a just alright song too so trying to push the blame onto Jack)

What? He made the instrumental. It’s not that deep.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

What? He made the instrumental. It’s not that deep.

But on every album where it is slightly bad it is suddenly all Jacks fault. Lorde has always seemed quite proud of the amount of control she has over her music and the fact that people turn around and blame Jack as if Lorde isnt the one charge seems a bit funky to me.

Doesnt she coproduce her own stuff too?