Lorde

jyoung

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is there a trend now that pop artists are trending to release very chilled out and laid back pop albums rather than bangers?

Is that what the kids like nowadays? 

I’m hyped for new Lorde but I’m not expecting bangers. I think it’s clear now that there is only one major pop girl making bangers and it’s Dua Lipa.

220px-Sigrid_Raabe_-_Detroit_Michigan,_U

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Miyn said:

There's always a slight bit of disappointment when a band or an artist announces Victoria Warehouse instead of the Apollo. They're both the same (or very similar) capacities and Lorde played the Apollo on her last tour so I was hoping she'd play their again. I'm disappointed but not surprised, will probably still buy tickets though and add it to the list of about 25 other gigs I've bought tickets to over the last 18 months. At least it's on a Saturday though, which is the most convenient day for a gig. 

Was thinking the same. Those old theatre venues like the Apollo are much better, but it seems like everyone plays VW these days. More of a faff to get to, and harder to get a good spot.

Leeds is more convenient for me anyway so I'll be aiming for there, but may have been tempted by the Apollo on a sat night. She was great there last time.

9 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Was thinking the same. Those old theatre venues like the Apollo are much better, but it seems like everyone plays VW these days. More of a faff to get to, and harder to get a good spot.

Leeds is more convenient for me anyway so I'll be aiming for there, but may have been tempted by the Apollo on a sat night. She was great there last time.

Is the VW really that bad? I’ve been to the Apollo a fair few times and loved it, and was planning to go to the Manc gig for the Saturday night aspect. Figured the crowds in Manchester are usually on fire, so the venue change wouldn’t matter that much, but you guys are putting me off now!

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Is the VW really that bad? I’ve been to the Apollo a fair few times and loved it, and was planning to go to the Manc gig for the Saturday night aspect. Figured the crowds in Manchester are usually on fire, so the venue change wouldn’t matter that much, but you guys are putting me off now!

I don't think it's really that bad. It's just not special at all in any regard. It's a bit like Ally Pally in London, just a long box that isn't that optimal for watching music. If you want a decent spot I'd recommend turning up around when doors open, as if your further back you won't have as good of a view compared to the Apollo. It's probably my second favourite venue in Manchester after The Ritz. The floor is slightly slanted upwards, meaning if your further back you still get a good view for that size of venue, however VW is just a flat rectangular box so more important to arrive earlier if you want a good spot compared to the Apollo which has the same capacity. It doesn't put me off seeing music there, just as a gig fan, I'd rather the Apollo than VW.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

If the Apollo is Alfredo's Pizza Cafe, the Warehouse is Pizza by Alfredo.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

VW is inconvenient, annoying to get to, the sound aint great, its boiling and anywhere else in Manchester is better.

However I have seen Catfish (ages ago) Cage The Elephant, The Libertines and Foals there and the bands have still been great and I have had a good time but I would say being near the front is a better experience than near the back for the sound and for an act like Lorde, I would get there early-ish which is what I will be doing.

So glad she has announced these as I was debating W1/2 for Primavera and Lorde and RTJ were the acts I wanted to see W2 and I ended up opting for W1 for Cave and National so all has worked well. If I have to bare Vicky Warehouse to see Lorde on a Saturday night, I am willing to make that sacrifice.

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Is there a trend now that pop artists are trending to release very chilled out and laid back pop albums rather than bangers?

Is that what the kids like nowadays? 

I’m hyped for new Lorde but I’m not expecting bangers. I think it’s clear now that there is only one major pop girl making bangers and it’s Dua Lipa.

You tell us!!!

You’re my go to for what’s down with the kids. If you don’t know them I’m truly lost.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You tell us!!!

You’re my go to for what’s down with the kids. If you don’t know them I’m truly lost.

Haha well this is something that even evades me a bit. Quite a few mega pop stars have stopped releasing albums with wall-to-wall bangers. It does feel like the days of teenage dream Katy Perry albums / 1989 aren’t around anymore. Food for thought.

In terms of majors it’s only Dua still releasing albums like this.

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Haha well this is something that even evades me a bit. Quite a few mega pop stars have stopped releasing albums with wall-to-wall bangers. It does feel like the days of teenage dream Katy Perry albums / 1989 aren’t around anymore. Food for thought.

In terms of majors it’s only Dua still releasing albums like this.

TikTok’s probably got something to do with it. Can’t say I’ve ever actively used it, but it seems the songs used to lip sync along to are largely these slow, laid back, sultry, stoney kind of jams as it’s what works best for the format rather than fist bumping bangers, and those seem to be the kind of songs that have broken through because of it, and so therefor the songs other artists are trying to emulate. 

But y’know, stuff goes round in cycles so I’m sure bangers will be back on the market in no time when people get sick of this kind of shit.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Again. Miles isn’t topping the charts anymore. You’re linking fab pop acts which are no longer the zeitgeist who have gone in their own direction less bothered about commercial success.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Sigrid and Jessie are not major pop girls though. I’m talking about the global artists.

Ah right, didn't see that part. True. 

Jessie is sort of halfway there in the UK I'd say, my Mum knows who she is 😆

21 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Victoria Warehouse isn’t great, is Birmingham Academy any better for people that have been? If so, I might opt for Birmingham. 

I went to Birmingham o2 Academy years ago and it's pretty horrid, not a fantastic part of Birmingham so just be careful walking around. No disrespect at all to anyone who lives there but that was my view.

Usher Hall is probably the nicest venue on the list, I think the UK has missed out on the 'greenfield' venues that she's playing elsewhere.