Where do I start with...

kalifire

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a day of utilising Spotify to the maximum getting a taste for the acts on the lineup that I haven't heard 

came across Mark Lanegan and loving what I'm hearing

blues-typey-acoustic-Americana thing going on....(you'll get my drift)  good though well worth a listen 

Yeah to be honest and I know it's only a taste thing, but a lot of these bands, father johno, phoenixo, nationalo and St Vincent all seem to fall into the same category for me, rather slow, pretty but not very interesting guitar based music.

I gave Anderson. PAAK a listen tho, having never heard of him and I think he's awesome! Funky, soulful, he's cool. Anything else like Anderson to recommend? 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

I can't let this pass without ensuring you've seen @Brave Sir Robin masterpiece...

Yep, one of the best uses of the playlist is to give the best introduction to new acts. It's the 5 songs each act has played most at live shows over the past year or so (based on Setlist.fm data and sometimes additional Googling), so the best way to get a feel for what's likely to make up their set at the Farm. Most bands tend to be pretty good at playing their best stuff, although some will play mostly their latest album - this makes sure you're listening to the relevant material.

4 hours ago, Vanderlyle said:

Someone who goes with Pink Rabbits as an intro to the National.

You are my kind of person.

3 hours ago, Lauraoxxo said:

Oh! I like it, not heard anything by these before but they are going on the list.

They have many excellent songs but this one is def in the top 3! 

1 hour ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Yeah to be honest and I know it's only a taste thing, but a lot of these bands, father johno, phoenixo, nationalo and St Vincent all seem to fall into the same category for me, rather slow, pretty but not very interesting guitar based music.

I gave Anderson. PAAK a listen tho, having never heard of him and I think he's awesome! Funky, soulful, he's cool. Anything else like Anderson to recommend? 

Thundercat is the obvious choice that springs to mind. Not the same thing as such but if it's funky you're after then he's spot on.

Solange fits the soulful bill if you're not already dialed in.

Edited by OBface

13 hours ago, kalifire said:

Ah, the line up poster. While many people seem to be able to form a very specific judgement about it, I gaze on it all and wonder who the hell most of these people are. Am I alone?

So I thought a thread that could point those of us without a clue in the right direction might be nice.

Shall I start?

The National. No idea. What's going on there, then?
Father John Mistry. I've heard lots of hype but I'm none the wiser. Help!

That's two for you.

I partly agree, but there're loads on the poster I love.

The two you mention: I really tried to get in to The National this year and last, purely based on the hype on this forum. I found them pretty shit if I'm honest. I'm happy to have my mind changed, but Christ. No.

Could not tell you one FJM track, the same goes for Boy Better Know and Phoenix. Might be a case of I know their tunes but didn't realise it was them.

59 minutes ago, White Bear said:

Best place to start with Phoenix is here:

Weather like this plz

Was thinking the exact same thing about the weather as soon as I clicked this. PLEASE.

This tune isn't bad at all. Just posted that I don't know any Phoenix - any album recommendations anyone?

42 minutes ago, nikkic said:

All the Phoenix fans out there... Where would they play? 

This one has me headscratching. They obviously have played high up on the other and also JP headliner. Maybe JP headliner once again? Their show is infinitely better in a tent in the dark so they can project love like a sunset onto the roof. In some regard it depends if they are viewed to be a smaller deal than they were in 2013?

Edited by reflekting

3 minutes ago, reflekting said:

This one has me headscratching. They obviously have played high up on the other and also JP headliner. Maybe JP headliner once again? Their show is infinitely better in a tent in the dark so they can project love like a sunset onto the roof. In some regard it depends if they are viewed to be a smaller deal than they were in 2013?

They're the band on the first poster that I didn't know a great deal about but have loved on first listen. Would love to see them clash depending. 

Maybe high Other rather than a JP return? 

9 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

This tune isn't bad at all. Just posted that I don't know any Phoenix - any album recommendations anyone?

I'd start with Wolfgang Amadeous Phoenix 

All their albums are really easy to listen to but I'd say that's the one with their most popular songs on it. 

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

All the Phoenix fans out there... Where would they play? 

I'm thinking 3rd or 4th down other, perfect band for a sunny day!

22 hours ago, White Bear said:

Best place to start with Phoenix is here:

Weather like this plz

That's weird because watching this video they look and sound brilliant, however I've made a real effort to listen to them over the last few days (my wife loves them and tried to get me to listen to them ages ago) but I just found them a bit meh. likewise the National, to me they just sound a bit wishy washy and I can't really get into them. No offence intended in that comment, but nothing I've listened to has hooked me in at all, and normally if I like something I like it almost straight away.

It seems in here that you either absolutely love Phoenix and The National, or you're just totally ambivalent to both of them.