Recommend an Act: 2017 Edition

Tuna

1 hour ago, MattDavies__ said:

Girl Ray were playing on 6 Music as the poster dropped, and I've never listened to them before but they sounded cool.

I saw them a few weeks back supporting Teleman in Brighton.  They've got some good tunes, but unfortunately (for me) they had bugger all stage presence. I really hope that a good 6 months of touring will get them more used to playing the stage and maybe give them a bit of confidence as they do sound good.  Fingers crossed.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I always think of The Lemon Twigs like in Pokemon when they used to bring out a new one that's a younger one at the start of the evolution chain of an existing one. So it goes Lemon Twigs > Foxygen > MGMT.

I think about this 24/7.

This is why we get fads: because bands, like Pokemon and buses, come in threes.

Had a day of utilising Spotify to the maximum getting a taste for the acts on the lineup that I haven't heard 

came across Mark Lanegan and loving what I'm hearing

blues-typey-acoustic-Americana thing going on....(you'll get my drift)  good though well worth a listen 

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

John Peel slot - Debut album will finally be out before G as well.

Saw him play somewhere on TV ages ago and thought shit man for one so young he kicks ass.. JP definitely.. Hope he's not too high up the bill tho.. Gives him somewhere to go.. Plus I'll still be sober lol

Bit of a crap recommendation as he's been around for yonks and played Glastonbury a hatful of times, but if you like your Techno, or variations of Techno, Electronica etc then check out Boys Noise. If you're into that sort of stuff there is no way you wouldn't know who he is, but if not he'll be worth checking out.

You might recognise his early stuff if you ever played GTA - see below. His live show last year was brilliant, he's got a remix due out soon of Justice's Randy too so he's not all banging Techno. Amazing producer and DJ, must have seen him 10+ times.

Early stuff:

more recent:

My recommendation for is Badbadnotgood.

Jazz with a strong hip hop flavour. Had an album a couple of years ago with  Ghost Face Killah called Sour Soul. Think hip hop to a film noir backing track. Seen them Glastonbury a couple of years ago, covered TNGTS Bugg'n.

Latest album has Samuel T Herring from Future islands on vocals for one of the tracks so expect  possible guest appearance.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=badbadnotgood+bugg'n&&view=detail&mid=562DFCA000D34B09F283562DFCA000D34B09F283&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=badbadnotgood+ray+gun&&view=detail&mid=6A5DCB40C526BAED70DF6A5DCB40C526BAED70DF&FORM=VRDGAR

9 minutes ago, cidermonkey said:

My recommendation for is Badbadnotgood.

Jazz with a strong hip hop flavour. Had an album a couple of years ago with  Ghost Face Killah called Sour Soul. Think hip hop to a film noir backing track. Seen them Glastonbury a couple of years ago, covered TNGTS Bugg'n.

Latest album has Samuel T Herring from Future islands on vocals for one of the tracks so expect  possible guest appearance.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=badbadnotgood+bugg'n&&view=detail&mid=562DFCA000D34B09F283562DFCA000D34B09F283&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=badbadnotgood+ray+gun&&view=detail&mid=6A5DCB40C526BAED70DF6A5DCB40C526BAED70DF&FORM=VRDGAR

Bing? I'm sorry but BING?!

Moonlandingz - and hopefully they're playing multiple times across the weekend like Fat Whites did, I'd be all over a 4am slot on the Hell stage for some early morning weirdness before I go to sleep.

Edit: Probably a touch nsfw... unless your job is watching videos of guys in silver codpieces, in which case have at it.

Edited by FrancisH

57 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Moonlandingz - and hopefully they're playing multiple times across the weekend like Fat Whites did, I'd be all over a 4am slot on the Hell stage for some early morning weirdness before I go to sleep.

Edit: Probably a touch nsfw... unless your job is watching videos of guys in silver codpieces, in which case have at it.

Just been giving their album a thourough listen through the last couple of days and its brilliant. Best new album Ive heard so far this year. My mates went to see them last week (would have joined but was my sons birthday) and said they were tremendous live so Im stoked to catch them for the first time here. 

1 hour ago, FrancisH said:

I'm always cautious when I see an act with a "z" at the end of their name for fear of it being a pathetic EDM duo or weak grime artist but I like this a lot