Arriving Thursday vs Wednesday

Friend Chicken

Ay ay ay. 

see there's a very affordable flight that departs Los Angeles on Monday night, with a long layover in Reykjavik on Tuesday that sounds adventurous, putting me in Bristol on Wed morning. Then I'd need the day to buy camping gear...so i was considering Thurs coach if I can get it. 

8 minutes ago, Friend Chicken said:

Ay ay ay. 

see there's a very affordable flight that departs Los Angeles on Monday night, with a long layover in Reykjavik on Tuesday that sounds adventurous, putting me in Bristol on Wed morning. Then I'd need the day to buy camping gear...so i was considering Thurs coach if I can get it. 

Bristol is a big city and you don't need that much camping gear. A tent, sleeping bag, roll mat, optional pillow, and some wellies. If you go straight to the centre of town the bus station is right next to some camping stores. It's only just over an hour on the coach to the festival from the bus station too so I don't see why you couldn't be at Glasto and set up by 5/6 pm. Depending how you handle jet lag obvs, but you could always have a walk around the Wed night round and get an early night, then be fresh as a daisy for Thurs morning and then you can really start to relax/party!

I've always chosen to arrive on the Thursday, suits me just fine. Have the afternoon/evening to get my bearings and to soak up the atmosphere before the festival starts in earnest the next day. 

Lots on here love Wednesday but many in my group are a bit disgruntled that they've got a Wednesday coach ticket and have to go a day early.

Each to their own then but if flights are making a particular easier I'd probably just go for that.

35 minutes ago, Friend Chicken said:

First timer from California hoping to land a single ticket in the resale. Arriving Thursday seems to work best logistically - is that fine or is Wednesday arrival truly something to make time for?

I'd definitely go for the Wednesday. It gives you that little extra time to see the place and the buzz is amazing.

You can also order and collect through Cosy Camper http://www.cosycamper.co.uk/festival/glastonbury/. Be prepared to pay over the odds though!

1 hour ago, Friend Chicken said:

I'm also a bit concerned that Wed-Mon might be just too long. I've been doing Coachella Thurs-Mon or Thurs-Sun for years. I'm going solo and not terribly sociable. I suppose Glasto is just so much bigger though there'd be plenty to occupy my time Wed & Thurs. 

Indeed. Wednesday is a great day to explore the site and visit a lot of the things you'll be too busy to see on Fri-Sun. Thursday is when a lot of the entertainment starts so you'll see a lot of that time taken up with music as well as revisiting interesting things you saw Wednesday that you'd like to take more time to engage in.

17 hours ago, Friend Chicken said:

Ay ay ay. 

You going to hire a car when you arrive, or trust to buses etc?

Car option -

Land Wed AM in Bristol airport (which is about half an hours drive from the town centre, for your info) pick up car, drive to Go Outdoors (big box camping / sports store - like REI, but less good) / Tesco Extra (Out-of-town Walmart, but marginally less shitty) in South Bristol and buy everything you need there.   You can order stuff to be delivered to it for collection, or just take your chance with what they have on the shelf.  Also, beer and food from Tesco.  Drive straight from here to site (an hour plus, depending on traffic), get pitched and be ready to go by Wed evening.  6 days car hire for ~£100 for an automatic, cheaper for a manual.  

Public transport etc -

Get the bus from the airport to Bristol Temple Meads train station - takes ~30 minutes.  

Option A) Walk / Taxi / Uber to The Galleries Mall (about a mile), go to Blacks (outdoor stuff shop) and buy all you need - you can do click and collect to make sure you get everything you need.  Hit up the Tesco Metro for beer.  Back to the Station,

Option 2) Order from Decathlon (excellent outdoor retailer, mail order and a few stores) and get it dropped to ASDA (yer actual UK Walmart) Bedminster; uber or taxi to pick stuff up (its about 1.5 miles), plus beer, then back to the station.

Train to Castle Cary, shuttle to site. Get pitched and be ready to go by Wed evening.  Bus and train should be total about £50, throw in £20 for taxis to speed things up - actually, if it was me and I had all my luggage, I'd get an Uber to take me to the mall / ASDA, wait with all my shit in the car, and take me back to the station.  Pay their parking, obviously, but should still be less than £25.  Buses and trains are a pain, but all the thinking is done for you, and you'll meet people on the way as well

I'm happy to provide a couple of hours of not very sociable company on Wed / Thurs as well if you like, but you probably won't need it :)

How's that for a slice of fried gold.

TL;DR - get your shit together, see you on Wednesday.

Edited by jfaragher

Bungee strap everything to your bag, maybe apart from a tent. So that's all you'd need to take. Even then, you could take the tent as hand luggage I imagine if it's not too big. I've travelled by flight to a festival before with all my stuff and it was fine. Albeit, a shorter flight but same basis. You just need to pick up any drink you might want in Bristol. 

If you're coming all the way here for Glastonbury then you want to get as much of it as possible.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, LSF said:

I'd definitely go for the Wednesday. It gives you that little extra time to see the place and the buzz is amazing.

You can also order and collect through Cosy Camper http://www.cosycamper.co.uk/festival/glastonbury/. Be prepared to pay over the odds though!

Hmm, I"m intrigued by Cosy Camper. How much is a package for a single person and what's typically included? I guess the site is not fully functional for 2017 yet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! 

Edited by Friend Chicken

I am also debating should i come on Wednesday or Thursday i have booked a tent in worthy view so i dont need to arrive early to find a good spot to pitch.
Is this the only reason people would arrive on the Wednesday or is there other stuff going on? 

Edited by padraig61091

42 minutes ago, padraig61091 said:

Is this the only reason people would arrive on the Wednesday or is there other stuff going on? 

This is a superbly contentious issue, taken very seriously around here.

Whilst the main stages don't kick off till Friday, loads of the smaller venues will have music on Thursday, if not Wednesday - take a look at last years Clashfinder here - http:///s/g2016/ - click on Clashfinder >> Customise >> Stages >> All stages to show the full line up.

If it's your first visit, its nice to spend a day orientating yourself, and exploring the festival.  If it's a return visit, its nice to wander round and see what's changed.  But - it is an extra night in a tent, and more money to spend and all that.

6 hours ago, Friend Chicken said:

Hmm, I"m intrigued by Cosy Camper. How much is a package for a single person and what's typically included? I guess the site is not fully functional for 2017 yet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! 

I'm not sure if they do packages or if you can just order what you like but a one man double skin tent is £45. It's not cheap but it is convenient. 

Wednesday. Seriously, four days (which is really three and a half if you don't arrive till Thursday lunchtime) isn't enough to experience the size and scale and wonder of it all.

In terms of camping equipment, remember that YOU are responsible for taking home whatever you bring with you. Even though hundreds of lazy scumbags dump all their stuff every year it's actually NOT OK to leave tents, sleeping bags, chairs, wellies etc. behind, so have plans to ensure you Leave No Trace. Camplight or other pre-booked camping such as Worthy View might solve the issue.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

On 28/03/2017 at 6:54 PM, OBface said:

I've always chosen to arrive on the Thursday, suits me just fine. Have the afternoon/evening to get my bearings and to soak up the atmosphere before the festival starts in earnest the next day. 

Lots on here love Wednesday but many in my group are a bit disgruntled that they've got a Wednesday coach ticket and have to go a day early.

Each to their own then but if flights are making a particular easier I'd probably just go for that.

Really can't get my head round people being upset at spending MORE time at Glastonbury. 

Edited by Rubber Soldier

34 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Really can't get my head round people being upset at spending MORE time at Glastonbury. 

All you really need extra time for is to remember the route between Pyramid and Other stages - and then to find a good spot on Pyramid for a base camp.  Bit dull on Thursday really...

As a fellow foreign Glastonbury goer, I can recommend Cosy Camper. I used it in 2013 and it worked out great. I still use the same tent, inflatable bed and sleeping bags I got there. This will be the 4th time. They've been through the electrical storm in 2014 and had no problem with it.