Oxfam Steward Applications

Martin Ashford

51 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Congrats to those who got through!!! I'm keeping everything crossed for the resale now

Get yourself on the waiting list for Oxfam as well - there are a few people who don't get the place they've applied for (blacklisted, reference doesn't arrive, change in circumstances), and Oxfam will release these places later in the year.

18 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Get yourself on the waiting list for Oxfam as well - there are a few people who don't get the place they've applied for (blacklisted, reference doesn't arrive, change in circumstances), and Oxfam will release these places later in the year.

Already am :) 

10 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What are the remaining places looking like on there now? Has Shambala gone yet?

561 places left for Shambala at the moment..

Looks like Download (7 places left) is going to fill up before the end of the day - the others all look to have plenty of spots left and should take a while.

14 minutes ago, ancient_one said:

Does anyone know where the Oxfam stewards need to be dropped off on the Tuesday? My son has got in as a steward, and I will be going down on a regular ticket. I assume I will be able to drop him somewhere close and then kill a few hours before coming back as normal.

Officially, at the Bath & West drop off. There are shuttle buses from there for crew on Tuesday. Unofficially, you might be able to drop him near a gate if you're quick. One thing to bear in mind, though. Crew are only allowed to arrive up to a certain time on Tuesday, as the site starts gearing up for the car parks opening as it gets towards evening. I'm not 100% sure what the cut off time is, he had better check before you make plans.

3 hours ago, mr gumby said:

Officially, at the Bath & West drop off. There are shuttle buses from there for crew on Tuesday. Unofficially, you might be able to drop him near a gate if you're quick. One thing to bear in mind, though. Crew are only allowed to arrive up to a certain time on Tuesday, as the site starts gearing up for the car parks opening as it gets towards evening. I'm not 100% sure what the cut off time is, he had better check before you make plans.

Thanks for that - I thought that might be the case, rather than random cars turning up at the gates pouring out stewards. 

19 minutes ago, ancient_one said:

Thanks for that - I thought that might be the case, rather than random cars turning up at the gates pouring out stewards. 

I think it's worth him checking with Oxfam directly nearer the time (say early June) as there may well be some changes this year - but I definitely would avoid using the bath & west showgrounds drop off point if possible. There will be shuttle buses running from there, but they'll be going to the Coach Station at Gate A - Oxfam Stewards need to check in at the marquee in the Oxfam Field first thing before they can claim their wristbands so if he arrives at Gate A he'll be faced with a long walk around the outside of the Festival Site.

I believe that stewards in a similar situation in previous years have been advised to use the Car Parks as a drop off point - on this map, it'd be a case of leaving the A37 at Brown Gate, following the car parks through stopping to unload in Purple 1 or 4, and rejoin the road at either Blue Gate 2 or Purple Exit Gate depending on how they're routing traffic at that exact moment. It's worth mentioning that Pylle Lane / Corpse Road will be one way, Northbound Only at that point in time so factor that in if needed. Assuming it doesn't move, the Oxfam Field is the one immediately to the left of Purple 1.

But again, definitely check with the Oxfam team themselves before the Festival as to the recommended course of action. While some or all of the above may well be changed I'm sure there'll be some provision made as it's not an uncommon situation.

9 hours ago, incident said:

I think it's worth him checking with Oxfam directly nearer the time (say early June) as there may well be some changes this year - but I definitely would avoid using the bath & west showgrounds drop off point if possible. There will be shuttle buses running from there, but they'll be going to the Coach Station at Gate A - Oxfam Stewards need to check in at the marquee in the Oxfam Field first thing before they can claim their wristbands so if he arrives at Gate A he'll be faced with a long walk around the outside of the Festival Site.

I believe that stewards in a similar situation in previous years have been advised to use the Car Parks as a drop off point - on this map, it'd be a case of leaving the A37 at Brown Gate, following the car parks through stopping to unload in Purple 1 or 4, and rejoin the road at either Blue Gate 2 or Purple Exit Gate depending on how they're routing traffic at that exact moment. It's worth mentioning that Pylle Lane / Corpse Road will be one way, Northbound Only at that point in time so factor that in if needed. Assuming it doesn't move, the Oxfam Field is the one immediately to the left of Purple 1.

But again, definitely check with the Oxfam team themselves before the Festival as to the recommended course of action. While some or all of the above may well be changed I'm sure there'll be some provision made as it's not an uncommon situation.

And thanks for all of that - I will definitely get him to check nearer the time, but for now, that is really useful.

1 hour ago, ancient_one said:

And thanks for all of that - I will definitely get him to check nearer the time, but for now, that is really useful.

It's just occurred to me that we may be over complicating this a bit?

If you're just going to be killing time after dropping him off, you don't actually need to leave and come back. He can get a free Staff Parking permit by supplying the car registration number to Oxfam and so you can get and use that. While you won't be able to go on site or into the Oxfam field, you can still park up and wait - saves having to leave site and come back, and saves you the £45 a public parking sticker costs.

The downside would be that Staff Parking permits are colour coded, so you'll only be able to park in Purple 1/4 for Gate B (or C if you're prepared to walk a bit) which may not be the right side for you.

7 hours ago, incident said:

If you're just going to be killing time after dropping him off, you don't actually need to leave and come back. He can get a free Staff Parking permit by supplying the car registration number to Oxfam and so you can get and use that. While you won't be able to go on site or into the Oxfam field, you can still park up and wait - saves having to leave site and come back, and saves you the £45 a public parking sticker costs.

The downside would be that Staff Parking permits are colour coded, so you'll only be able to park in Purple 1/4 for Gate B (or C if you're prepared to walk a bit) which may not be the right side for you.

I would be aiming for C, so that could be a plan. Thanks again.

On 29/03/2017 at 10:20 AM, incident said:

Hi @incident, just wanted to check something with you, if you don't mind.

I'm with the recycling crew this year, and my wife's got a normal punter ticket. We're driving up on the Monday, and getting a staff car pass to get close to gate B, but my wife's then leaving again and coming back on the Wednesday with our son. Would she still be able to get in the staff car parking field with the car sticker, even though she won't have any official crew letter or anything? I certainly wouldn't mind saving 45 quid, if she can, but I assumed she'd need to go into the main car parks.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there'd be no problem doing that. As long as there's a valid parking permit, and the individuals have some form of valid site access (in her case the public ticket), I can't see why it'd get queried.. And if it did, a quick explanation (ie the truth) would be more than enough in this instance.

The only thing to mention is that because it'll be during the public arrivals period, she might find that she gets put into a public parking field (further away from the gate) depending on how busy they are and what space is available. The distinction does tend to disappear after the initial rush dies down.

48 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there'd be no problem doing that. As long as there's a valid parking permit, and the individuals have some form of valid site access (in her case the public ticket), I can't see why it'd get queried.. And if it did, a quick explanation (ie the truth) would be more than enough in this instance.

The only thing to mention is that because it'll be during the public arrivals period, she might find that she gets put into a public parking field (further away from the gate) depending on how busy they are and what space is available. The distinction does tend to disappear after the initial rush dies down.

Brilliant, thanks for the info :) that could save enough for t-shirts for the whole family! Much appreciated :)