The Kasabian Thread

plaskins

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There woulda been better singles than that but bear in mind though that YILWAP is pretty indicative of the album. So if you are the real life Chev Chelios and it's just too sedate to be a good Kasabian tune that fits your lifestyle, the rest of the record might not be for you either.

This adds a bit of tension to my Monday evening listening 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to it on the way home from work and wasn't convinced, had it on for a second listen now and it's definitely growing on me. Comeback Kid the standout so far.

YILWAP is really infuriating, I love the verses but the chorus is dreadful. 

EDIT: Bless the Acid House is a banger too.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

I would often be considered a Kasabian "superfan"

Seen them 30+ times, own everything, including rare stuff and paid £50+ for the bundle for this album.

However, I think FCOL os an absolutely dreadful album, and I doubt I'll ever listen to it again.

On first listen, with low expectations, I was really impressed and thought it was good. Which meant I went into the second listen with higher expectations and found a lot of it wasn't actually that good. Pretty much the same thing happened with Kings Of Leon's WALLS last year and I've ended up thinking that's a reasonably good album, this will probably go the same way and I'll end up thinking it's a 6 or 7 out of 10 effort. 

There's definitely plenty of songs on here that I'm happy for them to add to the live set anyway. Will hopefully catch them at a festival at some point in the next year or so. Particularly enjoying Wasted and All Through The Night, as well as all the songs that came out before release (except the really long one which is a bit too 48:13-esque).

So, initial thoughts, nowhere near the level of Kasabian or West Ryder, not quite as good as Empire or Velociraptor, but an improvement on 48:13. It's not even the best album that came out on Friday though, go check out in•ter a•li•a.

33 minutes ago, Odessa said:

except the really long one which is a bit too 48:13-esque

Really? I mean, I recall they attempted something like that but it wasn't 1% as good. AYLFA would be appreciated on an LCD Soundsystem disc, obviously with Murphy's vocals instead of those two goons. It's a hot tune.

They're mostly good quality tracks but I think that and Bless This Acid House are real clear standouts for me. Probably in my top 10 songs of the year and, as someone who's been a helluva snob about Kasabian, I'm having an identity crisis about that.

It might be their best album for me. Better than the debut which I think sounds dated listening back to the big tracks. I remember really enjoying WRPLA but I would have to go back to it to make an informed decision against this, and I'm snowed under with new releases and Glasto bands as it is so I'm not gonna.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Really? I mean, I recall they attempted something like that but it wasn't 1% as good. AYLFA would be appreciated on an LCD Soundsystem disc, obviously with Murphy's vocals instead of those two goons. It's a hot tune.

They're mostly good quality tracks but I think that and Bless This Acid House are real clear standouts for me. Probably in my top 10 songs of the year and, as someone who's been a helluva snob about Kasabian, I'm having an identity crisis about that.

It might be their best album for me. Better than the debut which I think sounds dated listening back to the big tracks. I remember really enjoying WRPLA but I would have to go back to it to make an informed decision against this, and I'm snowed under with new releases and Glasto bands as it is so I'm not gonna.

I like the "give up get down..." bit but the song as a whole feels a little bit unnecessarily long. Not bad at all just not as good as some of the others for me. But hey, it's an 8 minute track that I've listened to maybe 3 times, it's not really a well informed opinion just yet. And now you say it, it probably isn't that similar to 48:13 stuff. It's just not typical Kasabian, sounds very Primal Scream at times.

Bless This Acid House is good, only problem is it sounds a bit too much like C'est La Vie by Stereophonics, I keep expecting it to go into the chorus of that.

West Ryder was one of my favourite albums for years so this was never gonna top that for me now I'm not into Kasabian as much as I used to be (do still like them but there was a time when they were second only to The Killers), it's defo worth a revisit at some point though, I still think it's brilliant. Hopefully there'll be a lull for new releases in the summer so you'll get 45 mins to listen to something old that isn't a favourite of yours. Saying that, you're a King Gizzard fan, so they'll be putting out a new album every 5 minutes so maybe not.

If you make time for a couple of tracks you've probably forgotten about, Take Aim and Thick As Thieves are amazing I think.

I enjoyed Bless This Acid House on Jools Holland, and just given the studio version a go and it's pretty good, although just like TILWAP it reminds me a lot of something else (and it's definitely not that Stereophonics song 'cause I'm almost certain I haven't listened to that, although stuck it on now and everything pre-chorus does sound pretty similar). Can't see myself becoming a rejuvenated Kasabian fan any time soon but good on em if this album is actually decent-ish.

I'm a big fan of Kasabian and I'd say the only album so far that I'd struggle to listen to without skipping anything is Empire.

New album is a cracker in my eyes, some songs take a few listens but I find that a lot with new music so I hold off any opinions until I've given it a chance. 

The thing I love about Kasabian is that they don't take themselves too seriously and a lot of their songs translate so much better into their live shows. I can imagine Bless this Acid House and Comeback Kid sounding incredible live. I initially thought AYRFA was a bit long and repetitive and I thought the same about Treat on 48:13 however Treat is amazing live and has since become one of my favourites off the 5th album. 

Overall very pleased with new album and favourite 3 tracks are BTAH, Wasted and Ill Ray.

1 hour ago, Billjames7 said:

I'm a big fan of Kasabian and I'd say the only album so far that I'd struggle to listen to without skipping anything is Empire.

New album is a cracker in my eyes, some songs take a few listens but I find that a lot with new music so I hold off any opinions until I've given it a chance. 

The thing I love about Kasabian is that they don't take themselves too seriously and a lot of their songs translate so much better into their live shows. I can imagine Bless this Acid House and Comeback Kid sounding incredible live. I initially thought AYRFA was a bit long and repetitive and I thought the same about Treat on 48:13 however Treat is amazing live and has since become one of my favourites off the 5th album. 

Overall very pleased with new album and favourite 3 tracks are BTAH, Wasted and Ill Ray.

Treat is an absolute banger, and live its bloody brilliant a proper moment when i've seen them play that!

• 3 months later...