Jump to content
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Recommended Posts

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? I'd say she's the only Legend so far who's capable of headlining the joint, bit crazy to have her play as a non headliner if your top line is a sausage fest and 2 out of 3 sausages played the last fest in non headline positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? I'd say she's the only Legend so far who's capable of headlining the joint, bit crazy to have her play as a non headliner if your top line is a sausage fest and 2 out of 3 sausages played the last fest in non headline positions.

Good point Lawn.

Bangers > Sausages. Obvs. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? I'd say she's the only Legend so far who's capable of headlining the joint, bit crazy to have her play as a non headliner if your top line is a sausage fest and 2 out of 3 sausages played the last fest in non headline positions.

She’s doing a similar run of shows to Chic and Hacienda Classical. She’s got a headline set in her but 2019 headliner she ain’t. Pretty much exactly what the Legend’s Slot is for.

Don’t see why it particularly matters about the three headliners being all male if the act that’s gonna steal the show away from them is a woman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s doing a similar run of shows to Chic and Hacienda Classical. She’s got a headline set in her but 2019 headliner she ain’t. Pretty much exactly what the Legend’s Slot is for.

Don’t see why it particularly matters about the three headliners being all male if the act that’s gonna steal the show away from them is a woman.

Why isn't she headliner material? I fucking guarantee you she'd pull a bigger crowd than the Killers who are clearly being downgraded from first degree murder to manslaughter by negligence by the day...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm as disappointed with the killers as anyone but Kylie as a headliner? Legend is far too strong for me and all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Why isn't she headliner material? I fucking guarantee you she'd pull a bigger crowd than the Killers who are clearly being downgraded from first degree murder to manslaughter by negligence by the day...

Because she’s not as big as she once was and her legacy is only enough to carry her to a prominent slot away from the top end of the bill? Dunno why you’re asking me, she’s clearly not headlining after all.

Maybe she will draw a bigger crowd in a traditional 4pm slot than the Killers will at 10pm but you’re out of touch with the world if you think people just aren’t gonna show up to see The Killers, who are a pretty much the go-to festival headline act in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? 

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned.

in the past they've done just one show in a year, at Hyde Park. 

So I don't really think their schedule can tell you very much. If they're doing it they're doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

If they are offered the chance to headline again, they'll come over just for that even though funding wise it's probably not paid for. They aren't poor though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

Why do people think Glastonbury is averse to ‘generic’ festival headliners? Not like The Cure are actually generic. The two of them are about the same as Radiohead and Foos; one has years off then plumbs the scene, one’s around every year but a hit with punters nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

You’ve only got to look at the headliners of other supposed ‘major’ festivals this year to get that there’s very little available:

Reading/Leeds - One of G’17s headliners, The 1975 and two flavour of the month acts pushed to co-headliners.

IOW has been forced to become a midsized festival for a year at least.

TRNSMT have fucking Catfish and the Bottlemen.

Underwhelming as they may be, at least The Killers/Cure could still be considered major festival headliners, even if they aren’t particularly strong or inspired, but also you’ve got to imagine that only in a year as lacking in big touring names would these acts actually get the call - The Killers with seemingly nothing new to promote, and The Cure after a 25 year absence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear The Cure are only ‘underwhelming’ because we’ve known about it for months and been announced everywhere. If they dropped in fresh out of nowhere, people wouldn’t have been like “well that’s who I was expecting all along”.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I swear The Cure are only ‘underwhelming’ because we’ve known about it for months and been announced everywhere. If they dropped in fresh out of nowhere, people wouldn’t have been like “well that’s who I was expecting all along”.

But again, only in a year like this would they seem like a good booking coming out of nowhere. Any other year it would be a bit of a ‘The Cure???’ reaction, pretty much like it was when Neil first told us his info (or maybe that was just me...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt mind if it was the cure or the killers... it's the combination of the two plus stormzy that I find underwhelming. They're all big enough to headline obviously... it's just all three together yanno? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But again, only in a year like this would they seem like a good booking coming out of nowhere. Any other year it would be a bit of a ‘The Cure???’ reaction, pretty much like it was when Neil first told us his info (or maybe that was just me...)

I don’t right know what other festivals would have to book to make The Cure look like a poor choice.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do these second thoughts on the killers still mean I can dream that Gaga isn't off the table?

Also, is there any particular reason the cure are being held off before being announced (if of course it is them)?

More shows to be announced or similar?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Also, is there any particular reason the cure are being held off before being announced (if of course it is them)?

I've thought all the way thru that The Cure wouldn't be announced till the poster drops.

Cos they've got headline festie shows all round Europe all summer, where those other festivals have paid top-dollar while Glastonbury hasn't.

The pay-back on that higher fee for those other fests would be for the cheaper one to not give them much competition - which means a late announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Do these second thoughts on the killers still mean I can dream that Gaga isn't off the table?

Also, is there any particular reason the cure are being held off before being announced (if of course it is them)?

More shows to be announced or similar?

 

People are hoping The Killers are wrong

You can hope Gaga plays

But...... neither is likely to be right at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've thought all the way thru that The Cure wouldn't be announced till the poster drops.

Cos they've got headline festie shows all round Europe all summer, where those other festivals have paid top-dollar while Glastonbury hasn't.

The pay-back on that higher fee for those other fests would be for the cheaper one to not give them much competition - which means a late announcement.

I find that an odd stance given Glastonbury's tickets are sold well in advance and usually well before there is a strong indication of who will be headlining.

The tickets sell themselves in reality.

Surely there isn't a large % of people who have bought tickets for Glastonbury who have done so purely on the basis The Cure *might* headline?

Even if there was, the flexibility of the ticket buying process for Glastonbury means folks can wait until the lineup is dropped and then if The Cure aren't announced buy a ticket at one of the already announced festivals and get some money back on their Glastonbury ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I find that an odd stance given Glastonbury's tickets are sold well in advance and usually well before there is a strong indication of who will be headlining.

The tickets sell themselves in reality.

Surely there isn't a large % of people who have bought tickets for Glastonbury who have done so purely on the basis The Cure *might* headline?

Even if there was, the flexibility of the ticket buying process for Glastonbury means folks can wait until the lineup is dropped and then if The Cure aren't announced buy a ticket at one of the already announced festivals and get some money back on their Glastonbury ticket.

I think it's more that if you were a massive Cure fan who was going to Glastonbury regardless and you then found out The Cure were playing it would make you less inclined to buy a ticket for another festival. If you were a massive Cure fan and the line up is still up for grabs you might think you can't risk missing them this summer and fork out for another festival too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I find that an odd stance given Glastonbury's tickets are sold well in advance and usually well before there is a strong indication of who will be headlining.

There's still a potential direct impact, as a Glasto ticket holder might buy a ticket for one of those other shows if the Glasto show hasn't been announced.

But also it takes some of the thunder away from those other shows, as each extra show weakens the attraction of the ones already announced.

Of course, promoters have to accept that the act might play other shows, but at least will feel fairly comfortable about it if they're all paying around the same fee. A promoter wouldn't be so happy to have a competing show that's paid significantly less than they have.

A late announcement for Glasto lessens the competing effect and also helps smooth over any promoter upset at different prices.

It doesn't always work in that way but I can see it working like that for The Cure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I just find it difficult to think there's that many folk out there who would buy a festival ticket based on the fact there's one particular act on the lineup.

I know deep down it's my own selfish view that I see a festival as the sum of all it's parts rather than one in particular.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there is no doubt that an early Glasto announcement would impact ticket sales of other gigs/festivals, for example one of my mates had tickets to see Muse and Coldplay in 2016 and they both ended up announcing for the G. If he had known that in advance he would have saved his coin and just seen them at Glasto.

The Mrs was debating Spice Girls tickets on the chance that they may have played but she ended up getting them so she didn't miss them. Promoters aren't daft (well most of the time) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can we presume Nick Cave will be in town? considering his stripped back dates he has just announced run until the Friday 28th. + You would assume he will come on with Kylie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...