rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Just now, MetaKate said:

I dont disagree (although I like EN better than reflector) I guess IMO they still have a strong album left in them and if that happens they'd be in contention again. Honestly their EN tour was one of the best shows I've seen. 

When they get a bit more 'heritage-y' they could easily do it with a career-spanning faves setlist. 

Agreed re the EN shows (I quite liked the album too).

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Bollocks - Arcade Fire are a mere spliit up and reform away from headlining again.

That might be their best shot to be honest.

Might be wrong but IIRC their last arena tour didn't sell brilliantly.

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

meh, half the Pyramid headline sets are forgotten about fairly quickly. do people talk about Ed Sheeran's  2017 headline set in hushed tones? Coldplay or Muse the previous year? or indeed either of them the previous times they headlined in 2010/2011? Arctic Monkeys 2013? Florence 2015? Mumford? Arcade Fire? Kasabian? etc....

very few Pyramid headline sets are "seminal", and even then, outside of here, most people couldn't give a fuck.

A field full of people singing along to big boppers ( and/or bangerz) is generally what most people, including GFL, want.

Agreed - by headline time, I either want to drunkenly sing along to something or some loud dance-type music.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

They didn't - though paradoxically it was the best show of theirs I've seen!

30 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Could say the same about the killers after hot fuss

Yeah but the Killers are in a completely different league in terms of popularity in the UK. Way more recognisable name and songs. 

21 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I dont disagree (although I like EN better than reflector) I guess IMO they still have a strong album left in them and if that happens they'd be in contention again. Honestly their EN tour was one of the best shows I've seen. 

Having only got massively into Arcade Fire shortly after seeing their set in 2014, I wish this would happen more than most. My biggest Glasto regret is not doing a deep-dive into their music beforehand. Unfortunately though, I just can't see why they'd get to do it again. Epitome of a one shot at the Pyramid band, I think. 

Edit - AF at Wembley on EN tour was one of the best gigs I've ever been to btw. 

Edited by The Martini Police

8 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

meh, half the Pyramid headline sets are forgotten about fairly quickly. do people talk about Ed Sheeran's  2017 headline set in hushed tones? Coldplay or Muse the previous year? or indeed either of them the previous times they headlined in 2010/2011? Arctic Monkeys 2013? Florence 2015? Mumford? Arcade Fire? Kasabian? etc....

very few Pyramid headline sets are "seminal", and even then, outside of here, most people couldn't give a fuck.

A field full of people singing along to big boppers ( and/or bangerz) is generally what most people, including GFL, want.

But most years we at least go in to the festival thinking there could be another big Pyramid moment. 

That someone will step up with a set for the ages. 

Not this year. 

All just a bit meh. 

Until I see that poster I'm hoping that we might be seeing the Chili Peppers co-headline with Posty Maloney.  😂

If only Emily would treat us with an April Fools... I would pay good money to see this forum react to that kind of news.

11 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

EN tour was popping. 

One of the best shows I’ve seen. 

I agree they’ve got one more big record in them, but it won’t be while they are banging the disco drum. 

Cure 

Killers 

Is that it... 

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even if it was a key factor, no c**t's going to spend their Saturday night watching edited highlights of Hot Fuss run through for the umpteenth time.  

I did every time I missed a festival!

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty much regarded to be on the decline after Everything Now was largely a steaming turd. No chance they’re ever gonna headline Glastonbury again imo. 

Well, this couldn't be more wrong.

Tbh, if 'traditional' headliners were thin on the ground this year, I'd rather they go down the Stormzy route of giving acts a big push. Would much rather the 1975 than The Killers.

Suspect the offer to the 1975 this year was to sub, which they've passed on. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the past their prime bit sticks out. 

Radiohead have three albums that are often listed amongst the best ever, one as recent as 2007, and a bunch of other albums that are largely thought of as being brilliant also. Still releasing acclaimed albums to this day - they’re just not ‘best ever’ material, a tough achievement. 

Yeah, so since 2007, they've put out two albums, one which a lot of fans don't seem to care about (trying to be objective here, I don't like TKOL at all but that's besides the point), and another album which is good but it's rarely thrown in with OK Computer, Kid A, or In Rainbows. So I don't think it's unfair to say they're past their prime. It's really not a dig at them; I think Radiohead are great.

The Killers have half an album of singles from 2004, and then some scattered singles since, although their last two albums have essentially been farts in the wind that made little to no impact. 

Both bands are essentially riding on their former glories to a point like most headliner sized acts are, but it’s dumb to argue that The Killers haven’t been riding off the coat tails of half an album for fifteen years now. 

I think that's totally unfair to reduce them to half of Hot Fuss. When You Were Young is their best performing song in the charts, in fact the first 3 singles off Sam's Town all did well. It's hardly "scattered"; they were a big deal for more than 5 minutes in 2004. They were absolutely huge from 2004 for half a decade. 

If The Killers are headlining then they’re almost certainly either a replacement for somebody pulling out, or a panic booking as there’s fuck all else to choose from this year (which I think The Cure probably are as well).

Ehhhh this isn't even worth debating as it's pure speculation. You have no idea if any of that is true. They could easily have been signed up when they agreed to do the secret set.

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

Tbh, if 'traditional' headliners were thin on the ground this year, I'd rather they go down the Stormzy route of giving acts a big push. Would much rather the 1975 than The Killers.

Suspect the offer to the 1975 this year was to sub, which they've passed on. 

They’ve already bumped up Stormzy though, and it’s not like Glastonbury is in the business of bumping up headliners like it’s nothing. The Killers aren’t inspired but they’re a proven headliner, and what Glastonbury would need in this instance.

Sorry for being too lazy to go through the thread, but has the Killers rumour got weight behind it, or is it based on bookies odds and guesses?

Personally, I think they are a good choice, due to their popularity and quality of their sets (though somewhat uninspiring, I've seen them around a dozen times)... But they're on that fine line of putting on a set that could be one people talk about in the future (especially with the musicians they could potentially bring out with them), but it could also just be very standard and people say "I got smashed and had fun"

Though I don't think there's any chance of them putting on a bad show.

Love AF, caught them at Earls Court for the Reflektor tour and they were phenomenal. EN felt like an attempt to finally grab into a more mainstream audience, which fell a bit flat and didn't exactly go down well with critics (I didn't mind it, few very solid tracks but some very weak ones as well), which is a shame as everything prior was a winner. Hopefully they get it right on the next album and either make a decent pop record or go back to being indie champions. 

2 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this, but Brockhampton are UK exclusive at Lovebox - gutted

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiit.

3 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this, but Brockhampton are UK exclusive at Lovebox - gutted

Are Channo and Solange also?

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

Are Channo and Solange also?

Nah Solange is doing Parklife, and no idea about Chance. Think Brockhampton were the only specified exclusive.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

Nah Solange is doing Parklife, and no idea about Chance. Think Brockhampton were the only specified exclusive.

H.E.R. is an exclusive as well

Thought Reflektor was a good album. The finished product didn't quite match up to their ambition, but there's still a standard album length's worth of bangers on there that 99.9999% of acts would give a bollock to have just one of in their arsenal. If you don't fuck with Aflterlife you're dead inside and that's the truth.

Pyramid headline set was glorious, I struggle to say which is my favourite ever Glastonbury show; that or LCD.

It's true that Everything Now is largely the sort of album that by all rights should get Win put on trial in The Hague, but I did see them at Wembly on that tour and it was fucking masterful stuff. There's a very very small pool of viable Glastonbury headliners who can put on a show anywhere near that good.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

RE: Arcade Fire.

They sold out 3 nights at Wembley Arena, and as our Canadian friend says, was a fantastic show.

Someone described them as shorting a fuse on EN, with all the political happenings atm it should have been prime for them, but managed to mess it up a little.

Huge fan here, and have faith they'll come back strongly. Loved the '14 set, but agree they might have been a one-off for now.