2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

If anything the fact that The Strokes are going US-UK-US over the course of 2 weeks means the two week gap between Glastonbury and their first announced European date is inconsequential as they're clearly willing to travel over here for a one off gig.

They'll travel anywhere if the money's right.

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I only joined this forum recently, before stepping foot in here if you'd have told me The Strokes are playing I'd have assumed headlining, and been surprised at the suggestion they'd play any lower. I'm certainly not the most informed with festival line ups, but maybe the general public would also still hold them to that regard, and so 90% of festival goers wouldn't bat an eyelid at them headlining?

I think it's possibly an age thing. I'm a little older than The Strokes demographic and I was surprised to learn recently that they had more than 1 album and only knew 1 song by them. 

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I only joined this forum recently, before stepping foot in here if you'd have told me The Strokes are playing I'd have assumed headlining, and been surprised at the suggestion they'd play any lower. I'm certainly not the most informed with festival line ups, but maybe the general public would also still hold them to that regard, and so 90% of festival goers wouldn't bat an eyelid at them headlining?

I don't think it's impossible they could headline, but just on the basics they're a bit unlikely to headline in 2019 when they've not really been massive-big since about 2004.

But I do think what Grimshaw said would have included 'headlining' if they were.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

he did. I think he's very likely to have good info too.

But he didn't say 'headlining', and I reckon he would have if that's what he'd been told, and I reckon he would have been told that if they were. People don't tend to gossip about headliners without including the fact they they're headliners.

That's how it works (says the guy sat here trading on gossip for the last 20 years!).

Yes headliners genuinely don't bother me and I'd be quite happy for them to headline and for me to have no interest in seeing them but I find it odd that he'd have good info that they are playing and yet not know it's THE slot headlining the Pyramid Stage is a big deal. In all the years I've been going to Glastonbury it's all people who are not going want to know. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think it's impossible they could headline, but just on the basics they're a bit unlikely to headline in 2019 when they've not really been massive-big since about 2004.

But I do think what Grimshaw said would have included 'headlining' if they were.

I guess I put them in the same sort of category as a more modern RHCP or something, at their peak were huge, but haven't been relevant in years. Still headline fodder based of reputation, the also headlined one of the first festivals I went to (Reading 11) which skews my perception a tad.

Currently feeling very bittersweet about the headline three if it is Stromzy, The Strokes, The Cure; Stormzy isn't really my bag but would go along if nothing else appealed to me, the latter two I like a lot but have seen already. given it's my first glasto I'm keen to see at least one Pyramid headliner, in case it's a few years until I get to return! 

17 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Exactly. For the majority of people I know who know anything about music/Glasto, if they'd asked me who's playing and I'd said The Strokes I'm 99% sure they'd assume I meant headlining, and not in a lower slot than the likes of Arcade Fire and Kasabian have done over the last few years, and that Stormzy is doing this year.

Also, has no one considered the possibility that Nick Grimshaw doesn't actually know whether they're headlining or not? Maybe he just knows they're playing and doesn't know what position.

I think the fact nobody saying it won't be The Strokes can offer a realistic alternative says a lot. It's always "pay up for Madge" (they can't afford her and Emily's said she isn't playing), "get Gaga over" (she'd have to come up with a whole new show on top of the one she's currently doing and come over to Europe to do one low-paying show that'd probably earn her less money that she'd spent on constructing said new show), or "I think The Killers are more likely" (they have one US show planned for the whole of 2019).

Look at other festivals - who else is there they can book? They can't conjure up a headliner out of nowhere if there's no one available. Especially when they pay naff all. They're lucky to get half the headliners they get accepting to do it for the lower fee, so I think it's pretty naff to turn our noses up at them getting a standard headliner like The Strokes who would headline anywhere else (R&L, TRNSMT, IOW, APE, BST), and expect them to get a megastar out of nowhere instead.

Edited by Gucci Piggy
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Also, has no one considered the possibility that Nick Grimshaw doesn't actually know whether they're headlining or not? Maybe he just knows they're playing and doesn't know what position.

that's possible.

But as i said, normally when someone gossips about a band that's headlining, the fact of them headlining is a major part of that gossip.

Just now, eFestivals said:

that's possible.

But as i said, normally when someone gossips about a band that's headlining, the fact of them headlining is a major part of that gossip.

Depends where the info has come from, surely? Think I remember someone on here in 2017 saying they or someone they know have something to do with Biffy Clyro's finances and knows they've received a fee to play Glastonbury. With something like that you'd have no idea if they're headlining or not.

6 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I guess I put them in the same sort of category as a more modern RHCP or something, at their peak were huge, but haven't been relevant in years. Still headline fodder based of reputation, the also headlined one of the first festivals I went to (Reading 11) which skews my perception a tad.

Currently feeling very bittersweet about the headline three if it is Stromzy, The Strokes, The Cure; Stormzy isn't really my bag but would go along if nothing else appealed to me, the latter two I like a lot but have seen already. given it's my first glasto I'm keen to see at least one Pyramid headliner, in case it's a few years until I get to return! 

Honestly if you don't see a Pyramid headliner it really is no big deal. This festival has magic to be found absolutely everywhere. I've skipped headliners on every stage before today and gone watching a woman with mad skills with a hula hoop in the circus tent and had an absolutely brilliant time. 

I've been 6 times and seen 6 Pyramid headliners. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

there's plenty of realistic alternatives that have been offered, at least as realistic as the strokes.

Just because you're rejecting them doesn't mean they're not there.

A bunch of acts who aren't active, have no European shows, or have already been ruled out? You're acting like I'm rejecting them for no reason.

The only remotely realistic one I can think of that's been floated is Neil Young, and I'm not even sure they'd book a repeat of Neil Young over The Strokes playing for the first time.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Think I remember someone on here in 2017 saying they or someone they know have something to do with Biffy Clyro's finances and knows they've received a fee to play Glastonbury. With something like that you'd have no idea if they're headlining or not.

you'd be surprised.

I used to get fed info by some random geezer that processed payments for bands, and he had all of the correct booking info along with the payment details.

(he was never ever wrong).

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Honestly if you don't see a Pyramid headliner it really is no big deal. This festival has magic to be found absolutely everywhere. I've skipped headliners on every stage before today and gone watching a woman with mad skills with a hula hoop in the circus tent and had an absolutely brilliant time. 

I've been 6 times and seen 6 Pyramid headliners. 

Yeah of course, in fact looking at them I'd have only seen 2 or 3 if I'd been going every year since 2014. I'm just very conscious of the fact that I'm not guaranteed tickets every year no matter how hard I try haha, so need to make the most of 2019 and pray for 2020 onwards!

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I think the fact nobody saying it won't be The Strokes can offer a realistic alternative says a lot. It's always "pay up for Madge" (they can't afford her and Emily's said she isn't playing), "get Gaga over" (she'd have to come up with a whole new show on top of the one she's currently doing and come over to Europe to do one low-paying show that'd probably earn her less money that she'd spent on constructing said new show), or "I think The Killers are more likely" (they have one US show planned for the whole of 2019).

To be fair to Gaga she could just sit at a piano and still captivate the audience more so than The Strokes could.

I think she's a perfectly realistic alternative.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

To be fair to Gaga she could just sit at a piano and still captivate the audience more so than The Strokes could.

I think she's a perfectly realistic alternative.

Sure, she probably could, but is that a thing she's ever done, or something that seems likely from her previous performances at big events (genuine question, I have no idea if she's done things like that before)?

5 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Yeah of course, in fact looking at them I'd have only seen 2 or 3 if I'd been going every year since 2014. I'm just very conscious of the fact that I'm not guaranteed tickets every year no matter how hard I try haha, so need to make the most of 2019 and pray for 2020 onwards!

When the whole line up is announced you'll just wish you could split yourself in 2 or 3 and even plans you do make can turn just because of weather or the fact that getting something to eat trumps absolutely anybody who is on. 

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Sure, she probably could, but is that a thing she's ever done, or something that seems likely from her previous performances at big events (genuine question, I have no idea if she's done things like that before)?

Also for reference here's when she last performed at the festival...

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m more of the thought that if The Strokes are at Glastonbury then it’s as a strong lower act rather than headliner, but that seems just as unlikely as them headlining to me so am more inclined to think they wont be there at all. APE didn’t list a lot of their exclusive headliners as exclusives last year so it may not mean anything. 

There is a difference between announcing an act as exclusive, and for it to happen to be their only appearance though.