Jump to content
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jj200 said:

crica waves played three times. 2014,2015 and 2017.

Well in that case they'll be banned from entering the site due to breaking the rules.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well in that case they'll be banned from entering the site due to breaking the rules.

Let’s hope they don’t have a Twix

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chickenfire said:

Sorry to be the one to bring it up (probably again) but Swedish House Mafia are back. 

Other stage headliner?

maybe

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chickenfire said:

Sorry to be the one to bring it up (probably again) but Swedish House Mafia are back. 

Other stage headliner?

I’d say they are far, far too big for Other Stage - they’d headline pretty much any festival in the world, so can’t see them expecting any less from Glastonbury. But it won’t happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, st dan said:

I’d say they are far, far too big for Other Stage - they’d headline pretty much any festival in the world, so can’t see them expecting any less from Glastonbury. But it won’t happen. 

Yeah there is no chance SHM play Glastonbury as you say, they don't need any exposure it would give them and it's a case of they won't accept Other headliner but won't get main stage either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of an unrelated post but do you think we'd ever get to the point where Glastonbury would consider using co-headliners? Or is Glastonbury such a big draw that they'd always be able to attract 'big' headliners. Maybe the reputation of Glasto would allow it to take a risk of giving an outright headline spot to someone who would be considered a co headliner at somewhere like reading 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Kind of an unrelated post but do you think we'd ever get to the point where Glastonbury would consider using co-headliners? Or is Glastonbury such a big draw that they'd always be able to attract 'big' headliners. Maybe the reputation of Glasto would allow it to take a risk of giving an outright headline spot to someone who would be considered a co headliner at somewhere like reading 

I think there are a few reasons why it wouldn't use co-headliners to be honest.

1. The most obvious thing to consider, R+L can swap their co-headliners so each one finishes a different festival, whereas Glastonbury can't do that.

2. Glastonbury goes for (at least at this point in time) massive headliners and I can't imagine them picking two smaller acts if they can help it. Obviously with the headliner pool getting smaller they're going to have to consider their options, but I just can't see them advertising it in that way.

3. Glastonbury is so ridiculously massive that bands who co-headline Reading (Foals, Disclosure etc.) headline the other stage/ sub and IIRC, Metallica were considered for an Other Stage slot, one of the biggest bands on Earth (correct me if I'm wrong though) 

Edited by Alex DeLarge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Kind of an unrelated post but do you think we'd ever get to the point where Glastonbury would consider using co-headliners? Or is Glastonbury such a big draw that they'd always be able to attract 'big' headliners. Maybe the reputation of Glasto would allow it to take a risk of giving an outright headline spot to someone who would be considered a co headliner at somewhere like reading 

Well they've lined up a "4th headliner" before (Coldplay in 2009 or 2010 or something) and persistently refer to the Sunday teatime act as 'kind of like a 4th headliner'.

If you're asking if they'd have two bands 'headline' on one night because neither are big enough to headline under their own right, then no I don't think they would ever do that (I don't really agree Reading think like that). They'd just take a punt on a headliner instead - they're in the business of bigging up an act's headline slot not compensating for how poor it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think there are a few reasons why it wouldn't use co-headliners to be honest.

1. The most obvious thing to consider, R+L can swap their co-headliners so each one finishes a different festival, whereas Glastonbury can't do that.

2. Glastonbury goes for (at least at this point in time) massive headliners and I can't imagine them picking two smaller acts if they can help it. Obviously with the headliner pool getting smaller they're going to have to consider their options, but I just can't see them advertising it in that way.

3. Glastonbury is so ridiculously massive that bands who co-headline Reading (Foals, Disclosure etc.) headline the other stage/ sub and IIRC, Metallica were considered for an Other Stage slot, one of the biggest bands on Earth (correct me if I'm wrong though) 

Mad Cool festival in Madrid is only at one venue and got Co-headliners on the Friday and Saturday this year. 
I sincerely hope that Glastonbury don't go down this route.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The life of Pablo said:

Mad Cool festival in Madrid is only at one venue and got Co-headliners on the Friday and Saturday this year. 
I sincerely hope that Glastonbury don't go down this route.  

Looking at the coheadliners they have, I wouldn’t complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The life of Pablo said:

Mad Cool festival in Madrid is only at one venue and got Co-headliners on the Friday and Saturday this year. 
I sincerely hope that Glastonbury don't go down this route.  

It doesn't really matter to me what they want to call it as long as the quality is there. Arctics subbed by Jack White, Depeche Mode subbed by QOTSA, or calling the 4 of them coheadliners...the end result is the same. And strong.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh was this whole discussion about how to fit Swedish House Mafia, a relic from the year of our lord 2011, into a future Glastonbury headline slot?

Oh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swedish House Mafia may take less money because they don't have to pay to transport as much gear with them?

1540-4.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dom Wall said:

Alternatively, could they not have SHM as an after headliner slot; similar to a lot of European festivals?

Because the Pyramid has to close by midnight so you'd have a main headliner on at about 8 in the evening, which would suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Because the Pyramid has to close by midnight so you'd have a main headliner on at about 8 in the evening, which would suck.

Getting dangerously close to those "maybe Ed Sheeran will get a daytime headline slot" comments of 2017 :rofl:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Odessa said:

It doesn't really matter to me what they want to call it as long as the quality is there. Arctics subbed by Jack White, Depeche Mode subbed by QOTSA, or calling the 4 of them coheadliners...the end result is the same. And strong.

Yep. "Co-headliners" is really just a marketing term to appease one of the acts or in the case of Reading to try and justify a weak headliner. In 2008 Glastonbury had The Verve as headliners and Leonard Cohen playing below them with the same amount of time - arguably that would be an example of it but nobody used the term.

51 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Surely co-headliners get a headliners fee? Surely Glasto couldn't afford that?

Glastonbury presumably can juggle their overall performance budget however they see fit so paying the sub headliner the same as the actual headliner should be possible and may have already happened, but there would be way more too it than that. A "headliners fee" at Glastonbury will typically be a fraction of what the same act could get paid at say IOW or BST or wherever. The main reason that happens is the exposure - in addition to the money, the act gets a free ~90 minute commercial at 10pm on BBC2 watched by a couple million people as well as a huge amount of other radio, tv, online, and newspaper coverage (at this point, literally worldwide) and a huge amount of hype to go with it and highlights being played forever more.. A band given the chance to play at 8pm in the daylight and getting overshadowed in just about every aspect probably won't be as willing to take the same pay cut unless they're desperate to play for whatever reason.

Edited by incident

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faithless to sub other? I watch the Faithless performance form a few years ago on Youtube at least once a month. This being a big anniversary could it become a bit of a 'best of' collection of artists? 

Edited by Ex_ollie
Realized this was the headliners thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...