2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they may indeed be "in the ascendancy", but they're not there yet as they're not selling big enough for a new band to be headlining, don't have enough of a back catalogue compared with bands that have been around years that can headline, and are not playing big enough slots elsewhere to be in with a serious shout of headlining at the moment.

people were saying that sort of thing about Muse when they were announced to headline the first time.

Really, what 'proves' a headliner is what they do on the day. They don't have to be the most popular band in the world before they take to the stage, but they need to be trying to be that before they leave it.

The 1975 pretty much sold out their arena tour in 2016 so I’d say they’re a bit bigger than The xx. I think The xx are bigger now than they’ve ever been too, so going with the declining record sales argument doesn’t really work for them. 

I agree right now they’re not quite there but I think everyone who’s predicting them to headline is also expecting their next album to be successful too, which is what will move them onto headlining major festivals.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

people were saying that sort of thing about Muse when they were announced to headline the first time.

Really, what 'proves' a headliner is what they do on the day. They don't have to be the most popular band in the world before they take to the stage, but they need to be trying to be that before they leave it.

Yep, if you want to see a band really trying to be the biggest band in the world check out a few songs from The 1975's O2 show. They've got the stuff and will only keep getting bigger - lime em or not,  just try and knock this performance.

5 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

The 1975 pretty much sold out their arena tour in 2016

This has always been weird to me, I saw them in an arena in March 2016 and it was half empty at best, so I'm not sure how they suddenly managed two nights at The O2 later the same year. I certainly wouldn't bank on those people who suddenly jumped on the bandwagon halfway through that last album campaign to stick around for the next one, and I say that as a big fan who would love it to happen.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

This has always been weird to me, I saw them in an arena in March 2016 and it was half empty at best, so I'm not sure how they suddenly managed two nights at The O2 later the same year. I certainly wouldn't bank on those people who suddenly jumped on the bandwagon halfway through that last album campaign to stick around for the next one, and I say that as a big fan who would love it to happen.

Hey, I hopped on the bandwagon mid way through the last campaign and I'm still on it :P I think it just took me a while to come around to them actually being a fairly special act rather than another Wombats or whatever, and I'm sure there are plenty others who have been through or will go through the same path I did. Thought they were shite for years until Girls became a bit of a guilty pleasure and then I listened more to realise they're actually p good.

14 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Hey, I hopped on the bandwagon mid way through the last campaign and I'm still on it :P I think it just took me a while to come around to them actually being a fairly special act rather than another Wombats or whatever, and I'm sure there are plenty others who have been through or will go through the same path I did. Thought they were shite for years until Girls became a bit of a guilty pleasure and then I listened more to realise they're actually p good.

Oh good :lol: 

Pyr: The 1975, Childish Gambino, Chvrches, Iggy Pop, Dave, Pale Waves
Oth: Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Blossoms, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: FKA Twigs
JP: Alabama Shakes, Charli xcx
Par: Wiley, Death Grips

Pyr: Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, Janelle Monáe, Father John Misty, Billy Ocean, Savages, Joan Armatrading
Oth: The Chemical Brothers, Bombay Bicycle Club, Cage the Elephant
WH: Santana, The John Butler Trio
JP: Jungle, Grimes, Brockhampton, Superorganism
Par: Sufjan Stevens

Pyr: Madonna, Snow Patrol, The Specials, Diana Ross, Mura Masa
Oth: Jamie xx, Jorja Smith, Sigrid
WH: Run the Jewels, Loyle Carner
JP: The Vaccines, Courtney Barnett, Car Seat Headrest
Par: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

31 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Pyr: The 1975, Childish Gambino, Chvrches, Iggy Pop, Dave, Pale Waves
Oth: Jack White, Vampire Weekend, Blossoms, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: FKA Twigs
JP: Alabama Shakes, Charli xcx
Par: Wiley, Death Grips

Pyr: Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, Janelle Monáe, Father John Misty, Billy Ocean, Savages, Joan Armatrading
Oth: The Chemical Brothers, Bombay Bicycle Club, Cage the Elephant
WH: Santana, The John Butler Trio
JP: Jungle, Grimes, Brockhampton, Superorganism
Par: Sufjan Stevens

Pyr: Madonna, Snow Patrol, The Specials, Diana Ross, Mura Masa
Oth: Jamie xx, Jorja Smith, Sigrid
WH: Run the Jewels, Loyle Carner
JP: The Vaccines, Courtney Barnett, Car Seat Headrest
Par: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

I hope you've considered the distance between the JP and Park with your timings for Grimes and Sufjan.

7 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

I hope you've considered the distance between the JP and Park with your timings for Grimes and Sufjan.

I have actually, there's usually an hours gap between end of JP sub and start of Park headliner ;).

Edit - although personally never been to Glastonbury, so I may be underestimating how long that walk takes at that time of night.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can't wait to see this in 12 months' time when someone claims it's a leaked version...

I mean I left the wrong dates in on purpose (and because I couldnt be bothered to find the right font lmao) so hopefully people realise it aint real

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean I left the wrong dates in on purpose (and because I couldnt be bothered to find the right font lmao) so hopefully people realise it aint real

And you spelt Snoop Dogwrong ;).

10 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I had Sam Smith and Paramore (and Jack White) subbing, with Elton doing the legend slot

Ah I see. I think Sam Smith probably fell short of jumping to headliner and subbing is a good shout now. Paramore isn’t, IMO; there’s a reason they only play R+L.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

nah they only listen to FuzzyDunlop.

Still can’t believe that.