2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

I'm hoping for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds to headline at some point. They're a bigger deal just now than I can ever remember so I'm hoping that combined with their legacy might give them a chance in the next few years, especially when as said above there's not too many acts like that left now.

22 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I'm hoping for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds to headline at some point. They're a bigger deal just now than I can ever remember so I'm hoping that combined with their legacy might give them a chance in the next few years, especially when as said above there's not too many acts like that left now.

I think it’ll be quite a while away that he’ll tour again because he finds other ways to monetise his artistry away from new studio albums and live shows. But when he does I’m quite confident he’ll be given the job, personally.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon at some point across the next 5 years, Dr Dre will actually do an honest to god tour with a stage and lights and musicians and guests and all sorts. And maybe he will headline but he probably won't.

That’d be so fucking good. I can’t see Glastonbury and its fee appealing to Dre but just him and his pals at an arena would be just about the best rap show I could think of.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That’d be so fucking good. I can’t see Glastonbury and its fee appealing to Dre but just him and his pals at an arena would be just about the best rap show I could think of.

Working here off the memory that Coachella seemed top put a bounce in his step and he started making some rumblings afterwards about how he did a properly full staged tour of the USA once and it was a great time and now he wants to do a full world tour. this was years ago but he was banging on about Detox for years and then he did eventually release a third album so maybe he'll eventually do this. And hopefully, unlike his third album, it won't be largely disappointing outside of introducing me to Anderson .Paak.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know you all love him, but Nick Cave isn't going to headline the festival.

That's what they said about Metallica. After the last couple of years surely we're due a niche headliner again.

I know that's not how it works but we're not gonna know anything for nearly a year there's no point sticking to safe guesses. He'd be the best as well.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

That's what they said about Metallica. After the last couple of years surely we're due a niche headliner again.

I know that's not how it works but we're not gonna know anything for nearly a year there's no point sticking to safe guesses. He'd be the best as well.

Awww, don't say that, I wanted to argue that Metallica regularly play much, much bigger crowds than the Bad Seeds and that Nick Cave subbed years ago to a weak headliner and have done nothing in the meantime to warrant the big step up.

Jay Z and Beyoncé are touring soon together, got to be in with a chance next year?

Would The Killers comeback to headline after the John Peel set?

Got to be The Arctic Monkeys next year hasn’t it? Surely they won’t be touring by the anniversary?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Edit: The 1975 really could do it? Blimey.

I reckon so. They're surely highest on the list of acts big enough to be bumped up to headliners (bar Stormzy perhaps, once he's got another album out).

They're gonna be headlining major festivals in 2019, and if Glastonbury seemingly have a smaller pool of acts for next year (especially when it comes to new headliners) then I definitely think they'll be on the cards.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I reckon so. They're surely highest on the list of acts big enough to be bumped up to headliners (bar Stormzy perhaps, once he's got another album out).

They're gonna be headlining major festivals in 2019, and if Glastonbury seemingly have a smaller pool of acts for next year (especially when it comes to new headliners) then I definitely think they'll be on the cards.

I always presumed R&L would have Arctics and The 1975 next year.  Can’t see them sharing 2 headliners

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Awww, don't say that, I wanted to argue that Metallica regularly play much, much bigger crowds than the Bad Seeds and that Nick Cave subbed years ago to a weak headliner and have done nothing in the meantime to warrant the big step up.

They did step up though. They had their highest charting album for twenty years and pretty much instantly sold out their first ever UK arena tour last year. If a new band had done that they’d certainly be linked with headlining, but Nick Cave simultaneously fits the criteria of being a legacy act as well. It’s a no brainer to me.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Well yeah both could headline one or the other, but you'd assume that if either were asked to headline Glastonbury then that'd be their preference.

Not necessarily. Matt Healy suggested that The 1975 will headline Reading first and then Glasto after that, and I don’t think Glasto will be willing to make the move to bump them up before Reading do. And then Arctic Monkeys could get a lot of money out of doing Reading and Leeds next year. I reckon Reading gets both and Glasto gets neither.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not necessarily. Matt Healy suggested that The 1975 will headline Reading first and then Glasto after that, and I don’t think Glasto will be willing to make the move to bump them up before Reading do. And then Arctic Monkeys could get a lot of money out of doing Reading and Leeds next year. I reckon Reading gets both and Glasto gets neither.

Yeah you could be right. I think they'll both headline one of Glastonbury or R&L next year, anyway.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

I still think Kendrick is in with a shout, will have proved himself as a headliner after R&L (if there was even any doubt) and will probably have a new album out by then.

Madonna / Arctics / Kendrick sounds like a decent set of headliners. Still think Paramore could be booked after their last album too as a sub, maybe Jack White too? (though he may be too big? QOTSA is a decent shout too). Maybe Disclosure are big enough for the final sub as I'm guessing they'll be back by then... (CHVRCHES I think will play too but after their recent bookings they wont be sub level lmao). Elton if he aint headlining in 2020 could do the legends slot maybe? (and as he is rumoured to appear with Paramore could do that here too?)

Really hoping for Carly Rae Jepsen too as her new album must be out by then.

In saying all this though next year is gonna be my first Glasto so I have literally 0 clue other than looking at past lineups and guessing lol

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They did step up though. They had their highest charting album for twenty years and pretty much instantly sold out their first ever UK arena tour last year. If a new band had done that they’d certainly be linked with headlining, but Nick Cave simultaneously fits the criteria of being a legacy act as well. It’s a no brainer to me.

Would that substantially increase the size of his crowd from 5 years back though? Try as I might he still seems like too niche a concern to pack the Pyramid field.  

13 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Nick Cave is not headlining Glastonbury any time soon (probably ever).

The 1975 are not headlining Glastonbury 2019.

the delusion on here is staggering.

Certainly the idea of The 1975 headlining Glastonbury is one that made me chuckle.

13 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the delusion on here is staggering.

I'd say they work both ways - that some peeps over-estimate some newer bands, while from the opposite direction some over-estimate who Glasto is able to draw.

Underwhelming headliners - of the sort of status of The 1975 (as they are at this moment) - are more usual as glasto headliners than some want to believe.